If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Magnificent Seven Samurai

edited 2012-03-09 08:44:07 in General
"you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

You know, the trope. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagnificentSevenSamurai should be the courtesy link. I mentioned this issue once in History Thread in YF but I'd enjoy still some more insight.

So, it just bugs me.

You know how "Seven Samurai" was the original and "Magnificent Seven" the remake. Pretty close remake, and here lies the problem. Picture this, a samurai flies into a rant on how the samurai make the peasants' life miserable, and the others realise he was born a peasant, and everyone's minds are blown. Understandable. And now, the same thing happens in "Magnificent Seven". But why, do I ask, are the other gunslingers so shocked to discover one of them is a peon? Who the hell were they, posh aristocrats? East Coast greenhorns? And nobody forbids a peon to buy a gun and have fun, too. Simply put, a twist based on class differences was shoehorned into a setting with no such class difference to speak of.

So this made me curious, which historical settings could let a plot copied from "Magnificent Seven" retain the class issue.

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Medieval Europe, of course (to a lesser extent, I guess, but still). The fact that there hasn't been a Seven Samurai adaptation with knights is a constant source of disappointment for me. Especially Viking Age medieval Europe, although The Thirteenth Warrior seemed to do away with the class stuff. The deception is based on having some object that marks one as belonging to a particular class, so the rarity and value of swords in Viking Scandinavia would work pretty well for that purpose. 

Haha, I just thought of another one. Seven Vampires, where the creatures take it upon themselves to defend a human community from [whatever]. And right in the middle of the movie:

"Guys, I'm not a vampire."

SHOCK, AWE. 

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

"I am not a vampire." That would be one hell of a LOLWUT. "You know, we didn't actually witness you turning into a bat..."

As I said back then in that thread, I'm for obvious reasons partial to seven Sarmatians defending some village in Ukraine from a Cossack or Tatar attack.

• edited 2012-03-09 09:26:48
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^Or he could be clanless or some other form of fantastic discrimination against certain 'types' of vampires.

Alex, go read American Vampire. It's got a great use of vampire classism/racism against what the traditional aristocratic vampires consider dirty.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

But the peasants would need to be clanless vampires too. A community of clanless vampires having to defend from mortals with torches and pitchforks?

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

There can be variations in the story. Thing doesn't have to (and shouldn't) follow Seven Samurai to the tee.

• edited 2012-03-09 17:58:55
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

The mortals attacking aren't just torches-and-pitchforks ruffians, but knights, trained monks and vampire hunters. Bam.