If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Cooking

edited 2012-02-20 01:57:18 in Meatspace
If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Creamy Tagliette of Root Vegetables

• 4 large carrots, peeled

• 2 large parsnips, peeled

• 185 mls whipping (pouring) cream

• 1 garlic clove, crushed

• 35g grated parmesan cheese

• 2 tablespoons snipped chives

1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the carrots and parsnips into long, thin strips, until you reach the hard core. Blanch the carrot and parsnips in the boiling water for one minute. Drain, then refresh in a bowl of iced water.

2. Pour the cream into a saucepan. Add the garlic and stir over medium heat until the cream has reduced to about 100ml. Stir in half the parmesan and half the chives, then season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

3. Drain the vegetable strips thoroughly, then add to the cream mixture and stir gently over medium heat for two minutes, or until warmed through.

4. Serve garnished with the remaining parmesan or chives.

Personally, I like to replace the chives with spring onions. One alternative I've found to be nice is to only use two large carrots and one large parsnip, and add about one-hundred grams of fettucine to the meal.

So, anyway. Yeah. This is a cooking thread. Share recipes, swap tips, request a recipe, or whatever. Go nuts.

Comments

• No rainbow star
    I'm going to see if I can find either the recipe that has celery sauce or the one that has that wonderful honey sauce

Mmm... Those fish recipes were great~
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Copypasted from the BTL thread:

Hummus and Carrot Sandwich

• 1 oblong roll. Wheat, Pretzel, or Pumpernickel rolls are all ideal for this.

• Hummus of any flavor.

• 1 large carrot.

• Shredded lettuce.

• 2 Tomato slices.

• Shelled walnuts. (optional)

1. Slice the roll length wise and spread liberal (seriously, go crazy here) amounts of hummus on both sides.
    2. Wash, and peel the outer layer of the carrot. Then using your vegetable peeler continue peeling the carrot until you get a multitude of thin ribbons. While the hummus is the main attraction, the carrot acts as the "meat" of the sandwich, so you want a lot of this too.
    3. (optional) Add the shelled walnuts. What I like to do is roast them a bit in a pan to get a little more flavor out of them.
    4. Add in the carrot ribbons, and as much lettuce and tomato you want.
    5. Top the sandwich and eat with whatever's left of the carrot you just peeled.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I still say that needs more cucumber.

• edited 2012-02-20 19:05:50
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

Lasagne (serves 4)

• 500g Free range Turkey Mince

• 2 tins of chopped tomatoes

• 1 red onion

• 2 cloves of garlic

• Lasagne sheets

• Varying amount of mozzarella (200g - 700g)

• Varying amount of mushrooms.

• Varying amount of bell peppers.

• Herbs and spices.

• Olive oil

• Passata

1. Chop the garlic and fry in the oil till golden, then add in finely chopped onions and fry till soft.

2. Add the mince and some paprika and some worcestershire sauce into the frying pan.

3. Add the sliced mushrooms and sliced bell peppers and continue frying for a short while.

4. Add the tinned tomatoes and some passata, then add some more worcestershire sauce and paprika.

5. Add about 20gish of oregano, basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary and coriander each.

6. Simmer and add salt/pepper to taste.

7. Then layer some sauce into an oven dish, then add a layer of lasagne sheets, then a layer of mozzarella cheese. Repeat until all the sauce is used up.

8. Put in the oven for about 35 minutes at 180C (Or until the mozzarella on top is golden brown.)

• Eh, my mom always cooks lamb with carrots and pita bread nowadays. It's getting old.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Anybody have any nice spicy but light meals?
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^I could dig up a bunch of South Indian dishes for you.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Sounds groovy.
  • edited 2012-02-23 14:56:53
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Cookies just came out of the oven and they are awesome. Some of the best I've had.

Super-Crispy Sugar Cookies

• 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature.

• 3/4 cup sugar

• 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (I used table salt because I was out, and they came out great anyway)

• 3/4 teaspoon baking soda

• 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

• 2 cups flour

• 1.5 cups Rice Krispies

1. Preheat the oven to 300° F. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the sugar and salt until smooth and fluffy. Mix the baking soda with the vanilla, then add to the butter mixture. Add the flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing well between additions. Gently stir in the Rice Krispies.

2. Lightly butter 2 baking sheets. Spoon 2-tablespoon-size mounds of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 3 inches apart. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the pans from the oven.

3. Gently flatten the cookies with a spatula. Rotate the  pans from top to bottom and front to back and continue baking until the cookies are lightly cracked on top and golden brown on the bottom, about 25 minutes longer (for me, it was a bit less, something like 22). Let cool slightly, then transfer to racks to cool completely.

It claimed to make 24, but for me, it made 18.

• No rainbow star
    This thread is best thread

*starting to think that we need a stickied thread that links to the best threads (IJBMer Updates, This Thread, Images, etc)*
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Hmmm...that could work, if it went along with unstickying a few of the threads up there and linking to them there...

• No rainbow star
    ^ Exactly what I was thinking (The Mumu thread, for example, could be unstickied and added to the best threads list)

It would also fit the whole, "Stickied threads are important" thing as the thread one could be visited by new members as, "You can get started with these threads"
  • edited 2012-02-23 17:11:36
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

(IJBM: Cup as a measurement size. Just so imprecise.)

@INUH
    Sounds nice are they (THE COOKIES) soft or hard?

• No rainbow star
    ^ ...I forgot what thread this was for a second. Your post took on a WHOLE new meaning...
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

^
    Get your mind out of the gutter! 

• No rainbow star
    ^ But the gutter is so nice and comfy! D:
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Sounds nice are they (THE COOKIES) soft or hard?

They're not soft, but they're not hard in the sense that they take much effort to chew. More crunchy.