If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Ironweaver compares you to famous philosophers!

edited 2012-07-24 19:12:59 in Forum games
if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

So... yeah, like, sign up over here.

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Alrighty. 

• You can change. You can.

inb4 Schopenhauer

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

Go for it.

• Sign me up.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Sure.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Ohai.
  • Erudite Meathead

Hmm haven't seen one of these around for a while now.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

dammit juan you guessed you fucking mindreader

@gentlemanorcus:

You are Edmund Husserl

Edmund Husserl

Founder of the phenomenologist method, Husserl was interested in subjective human consciousness and the effect it may have on the objective world. Very versatile in his interests, Husserl was, among other things, a historian.

@MadassAlex:

You are Peter Abelard.

Peter Abelard

One of the greatest minds of medieval philosophy, Abelard was a famous logician and theologian. Not afraid of breaking established dogmas in thought, he earned the hate of influential church fathers. A hopeless romantic, his forbidden love towards Heloise turned his life upside down, ultimately ruining him.

• I am intrigued.  Fire away, good sir.

@JuanCarlos:

You are Arthur Schopenhauer.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Life kinda sucks, yes, and is ultimately pointless. The olny thing keeping us from killing ourselves are basic self-preservational instincts, and an innate desire to live. But if we're already there, let's try enjoying it as much as possible. Watch EVA, listen to blues, indulge in artistic contemplation, it's not like there's anything much better to do.

• edited 2012-02-22 16:09:01
    You can change. You can.

dammit juan you guessed you fucking mindreader

When I met Borges some time ago and remarked that I was about to embark on writing a book about Schopenhauer, he became excited and started talked volubly about how much Schopenhauer had meant to him. It was the desire to read Schopenhauer in the original, he said, that had made him learn German; and when people asked him, which they often had, why he with his love of intricate structure had never attempted a systematic exposition of the world-view which underlay his writings, his reply was that he did not do it because it had already been done by Schopenhauer.

Pretty much my feelings in a nutshell, really.

^That works too

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Sure why not.

@IanExMachina:

You are Epicurus.

Epicurus

Eat, drink and be merry! Life is short, make sure you enjoy it! Epicurus believed that the purpose of knowledge was to help provide a pleasant, enjoyable life, absent of pain and suffering. Sceptical towards any higher purposes, hedonistic and laid-back, Epicurus had lots of good food, good wine and good sex and made sure his friends did, too. Needless to say, he was a pretty cool dude to have around.

• edited 2012-02-22 16:25:04
    Diet NEET

^Minor nitpick: it sorta skips on the everything-in-moderation in his philosophy: I wouldn't call him that hedonistic.

• edited 2012-02-22 16:47:31

^^ Yep, you are right on that one. When it came to pleasure, he was more about quality than quantity. Anyway...

@InsanityAddict: You are Hugo Grotius.

Hugo Grotius

A very versatile figure, considered important in several scientific and artistic fields. Most importantly, he was one of the most influential early liberal philosophers. Also, he was Dutch and had a pretty rad beard.

Welp, I guess I should go get some sleep now. Don't worry, y'all get your philosophers.

• I request a comparison.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

gogo

• Alrighty then.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

eh, why not

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Do me.

@Everest: You are Marcus Aurelius.

Marcus Aurelius

Warrior, emperor, philosopher, Marcus Aurelius is considered to be one of the most important philosophers of the Stoic school. Calm, dutiful and wise, Marcus was a very reasonable authority figure who did his best to stabilize the chaotic Roman Empire.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

> research Peter Abelard

Abélard sought a place in Fulbert's house, and then seduced Héloïse. The affair interfered with his career, and Abélard himself boasted of his conquest. Once Fulbert found out, they were separated, but met in secret. Héloïse became pregnant and was sent by Abélard to Brittany, where she gave birth to a son she named Astrolabe after the scientific instrument.[2]

It's like celebrity relationships of the 12th century! With science and monasteries!

When Fulbert publicly disclosed the marriage, and Héloïse denied it, she went to the convent of Argenteuil at Abélard's urging. Fulbert, believing that Abélard wanted to be rid of Héloïse, had him castrated, effectively ending Abélard's romantic career. 

You weren't joking. :|

Life in his own monastery proved no more congenial than before. For this Abélard himself was partly responsible. He took a sort of malicious pleasure in irritating the monks.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh225/MadassAlex/Sword Trolling/nary_a_fuck.jpg" alt="" width="414" height="360" />

Medieval trolling is best trolling.

He is said to have uttered the last words "I don't know", before expiring.[7]

A troll, but an honest troll he remains. 

First buried at St. Marcel, his remains were soon carried off secretly to the Paraclete, and given over to the loving care of Héloïse, who in time came herself to rest beside them in 1163. Their tomb is found in the Cimetière du Père Lachaise in Paris.

D'aaw.

Thanks for that, Milos. I learned stuff this day. 

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

a son she named Astrolabe after the scientific instrument

Wow, I guess that's the kind of nerdery which nowadays means naming your kid in Klingon.

• Champion of the Whales

I'm game

• edited 2012-02-24 12:11:45

@Malkavian: You are Diogenes of Sinope

Diogenes

Cynical, caustic and eccentric, Diogenes was one of the most colourful characters of ancient philosophy. He lived in a big jar which he had stolen, hung out with dogs and told Alexander the Great to fuck off once he happened to block his sunlight.

I see research is starting to take your time.