If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

My little brothers got a video game

edited 2012-02-18 15:38:21 in Media

So my little brothers got this game where you can switch characters by changing the action figure on top of a little pedestal. You have to buy most of the action figures separately to get new characters.

This is the most diabolically evil marketing ploy I've ever seen.

Comments

• No rainbow star
    That is brilliant o.o
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

> implying this is more evil than Games Workshop

• Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, right?

• edited 2012-02-18 15:44:41

Oh, you mean the new Spyro game?

I have the 3DS version, and it's actually the best Spyro game since the original PS1 Trilogy. You don't actually have to get each figure to get 100% completion (at least for the 3DS version, not sure about the console ones), but you do have to have one of each different type.

But yeah, it's a pretty evil marketing ploy. To be fair, though, you often see the same thing with DLC.

• No rainbow star
    Alex: ???
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

Games Workshop is the company responsible for, amongst other games, Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000. Both games are known to have a particular addictive quality, alongside high prices for miniatures and regular rules updates which force players to buy new stuff. Furthermore, Games Workshop has a tendency to disregard feedback from its customers.

The main positives are that the miniatures they make are legitimately some of the best and their settings are absolutely wonderful (in b4 malking). 

• Yeah, but there's a difference between extorting money from manchildren and extorting money from the parents of children.

• /\ There was a Games Workshop on the high street of the last London suburb I lived in , and it always seemed to be full of kids, not just older fans. So there may not be that much difference in practice.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The only people I've seen buying Skylander figures here are teenagers, my age or a bit younger.

• Skylanders is shit. But my 2 year old brother LOVES it, so I tolerate its existence.

• ^ Are you wearing nostalgia goggles? Have you even played the game at all?

• Yes, I've played it, I made a thread about it and I utterly hated it. It was like playing an MMO, just mindless grinding for no reason and mean while you're basically dragged about by the nose through the levels. Utter dross.

• ^ Ah, you're talking about the console version. I haven't played that version, but the 3DS version is very true to the series's platforming roots.