If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Not-Call of Cthulhu interest check

edited 2013-04-15 17:24:20 in Roleplaying
OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

So, Call of Cthulhu got brought up awhile ago, and it seems like a few people were interested in playing, so I'm considering running a game. Anyone interested?

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Well, I do like Lovecraftian horror. 

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Can I be an inquisitor for the Vatican?

Ooh, I'll be a protestant! :D

Won't this be fun, Malk? 

• But you never had any to begin with.

Hmm, could be interesting.

• You can change. You can.

Can I get a briefing on rules and whatnot? Or a rulebook, if that works.

• I would be interested but my schedule my be an issue.

Also, what time period? Modern? Twenties? Gaslight?

Dare ya to set it in Ancient Rome. 

Dare ya. 

• I've never participated in one of these before.

It might be fun.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Ok, wow, got sone interest.

Time period is definitely the first thing to establish. What are people's preferences there?
    I'd prefer twenties or Victorian.

While the predictable answer would obviously be medieval, a lot of Lovecraft's stories are based on academia gone wrong, so your options would be heavily limited, right down to making all the PCs monks, scholarly nobles or a combination of the two. Which might be cool, but still with a lot of limitation. 

Personally, I'd go for any time period from about the 1600s to the early 1900s. I don't think Lovecraft is hugely compatible with modern technology. It relies on a combination of manual tech and a ready supply of academic literature. 

• edited 2012-02-17 13:36:55
    But you never had any to begin with.

What the crazy vampire said.

I don't think Lovecraft is hugely compatible with modern technology.

Tell that to CthulhuTech. :P

If I'm not mistaken, CthulhuTech is quite a bit about harnessing the power of all the gribbly mean things, which is essentially a complete reversal of everything Lovecraft's own stories stand for. 

The only things that really actively harness them are the Tagers, and that's more a case of "Deal that ends with you being eaten by a parasitic organism."

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I'd be very interested, but you've already got a bunch of people and stuff keeps getting in the way of the one other RP I'm in, so.
  • edited 2012-02-17 14:24:02
    So, 20s and Victorian are what I'm mainly hearing so far. Anyone prefer one over the other, or something else entirely, or anything?

Btw, I'm stuck using my phone until Sunday, so I won't be posting too frequently right now.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

FYI people, you might want to post your availability/scheduling preferences.  From my (albeit limited) experience this seems to be the biggest problem with running a game online.

^Good advice. We can work something out once we know who wants to play and stuff.
  • No rainbow star
    Victorian

And :D I found Lovecraft's actual works boring, but the stuff based on it is always awesome

I found Lovecraft's actual works boring

You are dead to me. You hear me? DEAD.

Bleh, what are you, a peasant? Why don't you just BURN HIM TO THE GROUND AND SNORT THE ASHES AS PUNISHMENT IN THE NAME OF THY LORD, CTHULHU like a normal and sane person would

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Yo yo yo. Normally I'd have to decline, but I have the rulebook, and my last swim meet is Tuesday, so I'm much freer from now on. If there's room, of course.
    Victorian seems to be winning thus far, unless someone has some objection.

Not sure what capacity will be...let's see how many people have expressed interest...

Alex

Malk

Saigyouji

Juan

Delta

Myrm

Ica

Everest

That's...8. That's a lot, but I don't want people dropping out just over size, and I don't want people to be discouraged from expressing an interest either.

Could I get a breakdown of who has and hasn't played before?

I haven't and my interest is minimum at best, for what it's worth. 

• No rainbow star
    I haven't played before either

And you could split it into two campaign groups if the problem is merely that 8 is too large a party
    I was about to say one big campaign would be easier, but I just thought of something really interesting I could do with two if I had enough interest...
  • No rainbow star
    Does it involve each group being made to meet monsters and such, only for it to be revealed later that the groups were seeing each other and we all went mad?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

If you need more interest, I guess I have no life enough >_>

then again, timezones, so I guess I'll wait to say I'm interested until you see whether there's a group my timezone wouldn't conflict with.

• edited 2012-02-17 19:05:22
    ^^No. It's something else.

^Dont worrytoo much abou scheduling just yet.