If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Recently watched the "Hot Coffee" documentary in Civics

edited 2012-02-16 01:23:35 in Politics

Has anyone else seen this? I found it pretty interesting how I've been thinking that people go to court for all sorts of silly reasons like spilling hot coffee on their lap until I saw this documentary which showed picture of the old lady's third degree burns on a certain lower area (not pretty). There was also a case discussing mandatory arbitration where a woman working for Halliburton got raped overseas and then couldn't sue because she agreed not to go to court in a document before she started working there... 

Any thoughts?

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I haven't seen it. Who's behind it? 

• Susan Saladoff apparently, which admittedly leads to the film being a bit biased.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I found it pretty interesting how I've been thinking that people go to court for all sorts of silly reasons like spilling hot coffee on their lap until I saw this documentary which showed picture of the old lady's third degree burns on a certain lower area (not pretty).

Wasn't it still entirely (or almost entirely) her fault for mishandling the coffee, though? This is the really famous case, right?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^It was partially her fault, but IIRC, it was heated much, much hotter than regulations said it was supposed to be.

• I thought this would be about Grand Theft Auto.

• I believe the court decided that it was 20% her fault and so reduced McDonalds' fine by 20%.

• Has friends besides tanks now

It was partially her fault, but IIRC, it was heated much, much hotter than regulations said it was supposed to be.

I hadn't heard that part.

^ That's what I remember.

• No rainbow star
    I still wonder who thought it was a good idea to heat coffee to the point where it causes third degree burns on contact with skin?
  • Well, it's the usual temperature coffee is heated to in coffeepots.  The difference is that before we drink it, coffee is usually exposed to the open air, so it cools down.  At McDonalds, the coffee is put into insulated containers, so is cooled down more slowly.