If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Radio breakfast shows v. TV breakfast shows

edited 2012-02-16 02:08:10 in Media

My set top box has broken this week, meaning I can't get digital TV or radio on my TV set (radio reception in my flat is crappy). So I've been watching the BBC 1 breakfast show on TV rather than the equivalent on the radio.

What a difference! The radio show is listened to by a lot of politicians and Establishment people, and you can tell - it's very Serious Business. Lots of politics, lots of foreign news and they take themselves very seriously. The TV version has a lot less of that (or they only cover it superficially), lots of human interest stories, idiotic banter between the hosts, and all the women wear several tonnes of make-up and dresses so tight they look as if they'd have trouble walking in them.

Basically, I think the TV show is aimed about 10 IQ points lower than the radio show. The funny thing is, I think I prefer it - I often found the radio programme really depressing. IJBM, am I actually dumber than I thought I was? 

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

A part of TV's success has to do with the fact that it's much easier to empathise with both audio and visual data together rather than just one at a time. This is probably why there's more banter and the like; they're capitalising on the strengths of the medium by taking those elements further. 

• I prefer radio.

But then, I work in radio.