If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"IIIIIEEEEAAIIIII WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOUUUUUUWEEEEOEOWWEAOOO"

BeeBee
edited 2012-02-14 22:56:23 in Media

Okay, yes she was a wonderful singer and we're sad she's gone.  But please, please, for the love of all that is good please stop playing the most irritating line of her most irritating song every five goddamn minutes on every news channel.  Making people sick to death of her is hardly a decent memorial.

I mean at the very least play one of her other songs.  She had other songs, you know!

Comments

• You got the onomatopoeia perfect.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

You can spell "onomatopoeia". 

• You can change. You can.

You can spell "spell"

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

onomatopoeia is not that hard to spell.

especially with spellcheck.

More than two vowels together still throws me. The worst words have more than two vowels next to one-another. 

• I actually didn't use spellcheck this time! I just had to remember that it sounds sorta how it spells until a ghost ("Poe" /legend of zelda) stabs me ("i") and I go aaahhhh! ("a").

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

what.

Mnemonic devices, fuck yeah. 

I just know how to spell it. --shrug--

> knowing how to spell shit
    > unironically

see what you've done juan 

• I could always get the "onomato" but it was the "poeia" that got me every time.

ANYWAY YEAH THE WHITNEY SPAM is kinda...well. Yeah. It is a little much.

see what you've done juan

I've turned you into a monster. D:

I've created a monster. :D

anyway, yeah...about houston. ahem

See, the thing that bothers me is that it's either tasteless drug addiction jokes or tasteless "Let's remember her for a single thing from her career"

• Exactly.

I mean hell, when Michael Jackson died we didn't get clips of Smooth Criminal or something, it was just endlessly recounting the court charges.  It's like news companies have a vendetta against any fond memories you might've had.

• But you never had any to begin with.
    You leave Dolly Parton alone. >:<

• I mean hell, when Michael Jackson died we didn't get clips of Smooth Criminal or something, it was just endlessly recounting the court charges.

Uh... really?  It seemed like up until he died, all people talked about him for was his court charges, and then suddenly after he died people remembered he was a musician at one point. 

• Uh... really?  It seemed like up until he died, all people talked about him for was his court charges, and then suddenly after he died people remembered he was a musician at one point.

• Most of you must be too young to remember when the single came out. Consider yourself lucky. It was No. 1 for weeks in the UK, and the TV/radio was full of Whitney belting it out. Painful stuff.

I'm sorry she died the way she did, but I'm not going to pretend to be a Whitney Houston fan. She wasn't even the best soul singer in her own family. 

• edited 2012-02-15 12:34:53
    Has friends besides tanks now

Oh, yeah, so here's this comment from my stepdad: "What the media needs to do is stop treating these people [Michael Jackson, Amy Winehouse, and Whitney] as idols, and look at them like the trash they are." (Context: mom told him that some reporter was saying they should legalize drugs due to the aforementioned deaths) Uh . . . last I checked, it wasn't okay to say something like that about the recently deceased, drug-addled or not.

• I like that song.

• Honestly, while I don't think that drugs should be stigmatized in that way, I don't think that the fact that they're recently deceased should play a role in how we treat them.  If Hitler died today, we would be falling over ourselves to talk about how great an artist he was.

• edited 2012-02-15 15:28:30

If Hitler died today, we would be falling over ourselves to talk about how great an artist he was.

I doubt it. I really doubt it. I didn't see anyone grieving when Kim Jong-Il died; in fact, I only saw sentiments to the effect of "good riddance" or matter-of-fact statements; I couldn't muster up anything more than indifference since I wasn't keeping up with that bit of news.

But talking shit about a genocidal dictator is very different from talking shit about a drug-addled singer, and in either case there are, or would be, people who are still grieving. Just seems insensitive to me. I'm not saying we shouldn't objectively look at how drugs affected Whitney's life; I'm just saying that . . . well, calling a musician "trash" like that is just bleh. I'm also getting a little bugged by all the "we don't mourn for the soldiers. Just saying" Facebook posts, if only because everyone's doing it.

• Yeah, the drug-addled flaws of celebrities are relatively human, understandable, and sympathetic if facepalm-worthy -- dying to it is stupid but ultimately a kind of victimhood.

Psychotic genocidal dictators, not so fucking much.

I don't think ponicalica seriously believes that we all would be kissing Hitler's ass after his death if it did happen in 2012, but that it reeks of hipocrisy to go and worship people who you disliked after dying when you didn't like them in the first place. There's a difference between politeness and hipocrisy, I think. And news outlets tend to indulge in the second one a lot.

• edited 2012-02-15 16:01:57

I didn't think so, either, but it was still a strange thing to tack onto the post, and it didn't help his argument. The point I was trying to make (or will clarify now) was that there's a difference between fake postmortem veneration, and basic human decency.

• Meh.  "Let's end things on as respectful a note as we can" doesn't really sound hypocritical to me, even if one didn't like their music.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I didn't like Whitney Houston's music, nor am I really that bothered by her death, but I can get pretty uppity when smartasses on the internet start complaining about people showing respect to dead celebrities. At least show some basic human decency.

• edited 2012-02-15 16:03:21
    Diet NEET

>Hitler

>an artist

Genocide as performance art is so delightfully Baudrillardian.

• InsanityAddict: Hitler painted.

Milos: I can't really remember which music is Whitney Houston's, but it bothers me when someone like Steve Jobs is deified even by the people who were criticizing him harshly the day before.

• edited 2012-02-15 16:10:44
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Ponicalica: Yeah, you're right about that.

Oh, and Hitler's paintings are not bad, actually.

Hitler's painting

• Kichigai birthday!!

Don't mind me, just shitposting