If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Phallic-shaped plant species smells like rotting meat and faeces.

edited 2012-02-10 03:14:58 in General
I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

Just in time to order a bouquet for that special someone this Valentines day.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. And a new species of Amorphophallus—the genus that includes the "corpse flower"—still smells like rotting meat and feces.

Discovered on an island off the coast of Madagascar, the newfound plant grows up to 5 feet (1.5 meters) high and blooms once a year with a "really foul" stench, according to discoverer Greg Wahlert, a postdoctoral researcher in botany at the University of Utah.

Comments

• Looks more like brains than a penis to me.

• I don't know whether it's the case here, but I have heard of other flowers that emit this foul smell to attract flies, because they spread their pollen. It's the same reason other flowers produce nectar to attract bees.

• edited 2012-02-10 13:36:55

Looks more like brains than a penis to me.

I'm failing to see the resemblance, too.

Regardless:

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

Do note:
    Phallic shaped does not mean 'looks exactly like a penis'.

• edited 2012-02-15 08:11:25

How did I miss this discovery!? It's a tiny adorable "Titan Arum!"

I've always wanted to cultivate various carrion flowers but few can be grown domestically. A friend of mine who teaches adaptation to schools had some "toad cacti" in her show, the flowers of which resemble anuses and mimic both the smell and texture of decaying meat. They smelled so strongly they attracted vultures to her yard.