If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

INUH's Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning journal

edited 2012-02-10 00:26:30 in Liveblogging
OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I'm keeping a journal now, because I've just discovered that it would have been a good idea to keep one before now. This way, if I wind up forgetting everything again, I'll have the slightest clue who I am. Though maybe I did keep one, and I lost it or something...well, either way. I'm keeping one.

So. Today didn't get off to a great start. Woke up in a massive pile of decaying corpses. Stumbled out of that unpleasant room, only to find a defenseless gnome screaming for help, under attack by some people in red armor. Figuring I should pick a side, I attacked the red armor guys with a rusty sword I found.

The gnome was really surprised to see me, because apparently I was a corpse when I was put on the pile. So I guess today's going better than I'd have expected, if I remembered how I expected it to go.

The red armor guys are the "Tuatha Deohn," apparently. And they're at war with...well, everyone else. Sounds like I picked the right side, then. They attacked the tower because the gnomes were working on something called the "well of souls," to revive the dead, and the Tuatha didn't like that. Fortunately, I don't think they know it worked. Apparently, I was the only one it worked for, for whatever reason. Guess I'm lucky.

The gnome, Encel, told me that I should meet up with Hugues, the creator of the well, to give him the good news and possibly save him.

So we set off upwards, towards his lab. Along the way, we ran into some glowing plants that bloomed as I walked by. Encel told me they react that way to magic, so I tried projecting my will at a wall, and lightning shot out of my hands. That's pretty cool, but I feel more comfortable with a sword.

After fighting more Tuatha and some spiders, we wound up in the armory. I got a passable suit of armor from there, and Encel stayed behind as I went to Hugues' lab.

On the way, I fought a troll. When I killed it, I...I'm not sure what happened, but I think I threw a giant purple spear through its head. More magic, I guess?

Hugues didn't have time to explain much, but he did mention that the Tuatha are Fae, and thus immortal (didn't seem that way to me...I guess they get up awhile after you kill them?), and told me I should meet a guy named Agarth. Then Encel burst into the room and warned us that the Tuatha were coming, just before an arrow pierced his heart. Hugues charged the attackers so I could get away. I wanted to help get revenge for the person I've known the longest, but he said I was too valuable, so I fled the tower. The entrance collapsed behind me. So I guess they're all dead.

If the Tuatha are immortal, does that mean they're trapped in there forever? That doesn't sound pleasant.

Well, anyway, after that, I sat down on the front steps of the building and wrote this out on a notebook I found in the lab.

Guess I'd better go find Agarth now.

Though first, I need a name. I think I'll go by "Max" because why not?

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Generally not waking up a corpse is a good way to start your day c:

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Indeed. I try to do it whenever possible ^_^

So, on my way to meet Agarth, I ran into a gnome being attacked by a bear. I killed the bear, and the gnome recognized me as one of the corpses. Then he told me that he'd been passing on information about the well to someone for money. He said he thought he was just helping to spread a beneficial research around, and given how angry he seemed, I believed him and let him go. In thanks, he gave me his payment for the spying, saying he wanted nothing to do with it. I almost feel sorry for him.

Anyway, then I met Agarth. Apparently, he's a "fateweaver," meaning he can predict people's future by reading the unchangeable threads of fate. He told me that Hugues died in the attack, and also that his death was to come on the day of his greatest success. I told him that was me, and he recalled his reading for that morning and said that we were about to be attacked. And we were. Guess he's good at his job.

During the fight, I entered some sort of state. Everything slowed down, and when I killed a Tuatha, these purple threads came off it. I finished the last one with the same trick I pulled on the troll. Agarth was really surprised, and said that it looked like I was unraveling the threads of fate, which is supposed to be impossible. He insisted on doing a reading on me right then, and I couldn't talk him out of it. He claimed that he couldn't find my fate. So...maybe he's not good at his job. He must have been skeptical too, since he told me to go East and meet a fateweaver named Arden to double check on that.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

ooooh

When you get to the next town, there's an injured Fae. Do the quest to help her- you get the opportunity to do a couple of other quests while you're doing it.

Also, maybe you should post screenshots.

• edited 2012-02-10 01:09:31

I know. I'm 8 hours in on my other file (which I accidentally deleted T_T)

And I'll start doing that with the update after next.

Arrived in Gorhart to the sight of a man standing over an unconscious green woman. Apparently, she's a Fae, and someone in the village stabbed her. Also, she's from the Summer Court, which is the pacifist group of Fae, as opposed to the Tuatha. The warden introduced himself and told me that he doesn't know how to heal her, but a Fae camped on a cliff over the village would.

I heard the woods on the way there were dangerous, so I forged myself a sword engulfed in flame. Not sure where I learned to do that, but it's pretty nice that I remember how.

Along the way, I was attacked by wolves, bandits and these little tree-man things, all of which the sword made short work of. The Fae said she didn't have any Fae remedies, but a particularly strong human one might do. I went to the local alchemist, and though I had to sell some things, I managed to buy the potion. Worth it to help someone out.

I gave her the potion, and the Warden explained that to maintain peace, someone would need to inform the Summer Court of what happened. Since I was going that way, I volunteered to stop by the House of Ballads. He pointed the way on my map. I guess I'm headed there now.

That's all for tonight, I'm afraid. I'll post much more tomorrow.

one day I was bored and had half an hour to spare

so i made a sword

it set itself on fire

it was pretty cool

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

But fire ruins the temper of steel! >:/

Not magic fire.

• edited 2012-02-10 10:22:15

Magic fire is best fire.

Hmmm...is there any fantasy book where the hero has a magic flaming sword, and uses it to cook? Because I'd totally do that if I had a magic flaming sword.

Anyway, no update just now, but here's a screenshot of my character.

Not sure his face came out that well, but you can't zoom the camera :<

He looks alright.

I found a Numbing Longsword, a Static Longsword, and an Ember Longbow or something in my first 30 minutes of play out of the tutorial.

On my way to the House of Ballads, I met a limping man. He could barely walk, but he didn't look injured. It was more like he just hadn't figured out walking. He claimed that he was actually a wolf, and had been turned into a "two-legs" by some sprites as a joke. He told me he needed water from a certain well, so I went to get it, only for some sprites to ambush me and the well to vanish. I made short work of the sprites thanks to my new sword, but had to go back without the water.

He explained that the well was called the "wandering well," and that it changes locations. He suggested that throwing a certain plant in might help. I'm no herbalist, but I managed to find the plant and, after running around the woods chasing after the well for awhile, got a sample of the water.

When he drank the water, the man did indeed turn into a wolf and run off.

Well, that was weird.