If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Say a demon comes up to you and offers you anything you can hope for in exchange for your soul

edited 2012-02-05 22:37:41 in Forum games
No rainbow star

How would you react?

Assume that there are some limits (no asking for the demons soul, or to be a god, for example), but most things are on the table

Comments

• edited 2012-02-05 22:39:26

"Nice try, Gary."

-walk away-

• I may be a bit short-sighted, but I do think eternal Hell would be where I draw the line.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

"My" soul.

You don't 'have' a soul. You are a soul.

So yeah. No.

• First, skepticism.

If I were convinced that the situation was it was and the demon was being honest (that would indeed take some convincing), I'd have to study the matter, figuring out how a soul and ownership of it was defined, and learn more about the nature of that, and figuring out the limits of what I could ask for. If such knowledge was out of bounds for me and the demon took a now or never approach, I'd probably play it safe and just refuse.

There are probably quite a number of things that would be out of bounds. I think the simplest thing to wish for is complete and eternal control over the demon, or at least some other situation that allowed me some access to the demon's power to decide what to do with it, but I figure that's off limits.

You really have to go into more detail if I'm supposed to give a serious answer (which I suppose I'm not and I'm overthinking this). I'm not going to ask for something as simple as unlimited money unless I know that's the most I can get out of it and my soul is defined as something I safely feel I could part with for that.

• The "soul" is simply a term coined by man to describe certain higher brain functions that cease to operate when the brain's metabolism is halted. /athiestjerkhole

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The soul is used to describe a metaphysical term/object that has not actually been measured at all. It does not describe brain functions at all.

• edited 2012-02-06 00:33:18
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

"I know better than to make deals with your kind."

Then find something that can kill it.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Have at thee, wretch of Satan!

• edited 2012-02-05 22:59:36
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^^>Implying more than three or four people agree on one definition of "soul"

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Implying more than three or four people agree on one definition of "soul"

the principle of life, feeling, thought, and action in humans, regarded as a distinct entity separate from the body, and commonly held to be separable in existence from the body; the spiritual part of humans as distinct from the physical part.

Well, apparently it's agreed upon often enough to have definitions in the dictionary.

• The important thing is to figure out what the Demon means by it, assuming he's honest.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I think you're overestimating dictionaries as a representation of human belief for abstract concepts.

• Don't make me start talking about how definitions work, because that gets old.

I think you're overestimating dictionaries as a representation of human belief for abstract concepts.

Not really. The fact that there's at least four different definitions should speak for itself.

However, attempting to define the soul as a bunch of higher brain signals that shut down after death and signing your post /atheistjerkhole is annoying enough for me to point out one meaning of the term that the definition given cannot cover.

Ah, okay, fair enough.

• edited 2012-02-05 23:26:21
    No rainbow star
    ...I'd think that a demon standing right there sort of shows that you have a soul according to the spiritual definition

By the way, after getting proof and figuring out through conversation which religion is correct, I'd personally laugh and say, "No thanks. Now excuse me while I work on getting into the non torture afterlife"

Not necessarily. Does the existence of Satan prove the existence of God? Or are there other explanations for how it could come about?

• No rainbow star
    ^ Which religion is correct is another matter, Cygan. However, it shows an existence of a soul as, well, why would he ask for one if it didn't exist? And the offers would be really shitty if it just meant higher brain fuctions

• ...I'd think that a demon standing right there sort of shows that you have a soul according to the spiritual definition

Per Star Trek, that's the kind of thinking that gets your entire planet swindled.

However, it shows an existence of a soul as, well, why would he ask for one if it didn't exist?

Simple. When he fulfills his end of the bargain, he waits for you to present your end of the bargain; and when you can't, he takes you.

And the offers would be really shitty if it just meant higher brain fuctions

Whereas demons are known for making really fair and reasonable offers that never bite you in the ass?

• Maybe the demon is...

An alien that wants to harvest parts of my brain?

• edited 2012-02-05 23:53:45
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

>Everyone is arguing about the definition of a soul.

>Only Alex and I want to do the proper thing.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^And loving every second of that delicious heresy. 

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Moons change, grass grows and we slay demons.

• Silly demon, go back to the shadow.

• You can change. You can.

So you don't see the problem with trying to kill the oldest evil in existence (Or one of his minions)?

Ooook.

• I don't see why it's not worth a shot if he's already targeting your soul.

• No rainbow star
    Except how can you say that you were swindled if you got what you want, Protega?

And fair enough INUH. Just assume that he gives the definition of a soul as your spiritual, eternal essence that defines who you are, and he won't take it until you die, with the guarantee that he won't cause the death directly or indirectly

Neo: Doesn't seem many people here would even take the offer. In fact, I'd say you and Alex are nuts for trying to kill the demon
  • You can change. You can.

ARE YOU QUESTIONING STAR TREK