If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Couple of spots open for a D&D game

edited 2012-02-02 15:31:29 in Roleplaying
Has friends besides tanks now

Over at Beyond the Lampshade, I'm running a D&D game (here's the thread), and it's going to start in two days, but our party balance is off somewhat; we have a cleric/fighter (not fighter yet, but he'll multiclass as they level up), a ranger, a knight, and a duskblade. Would a couple of people be interested in playing casters? I'd like at least one divine caster and one arcane, if only so I don't have to put as much work into balancing encounters for the party later on. Although if people are interested in playing as other characters, I suppose that's fine, too, since we can still fill in certain roles more completely (preferably not full melee, though). I didn't ask here first because there are already a couple of RP's here, and none at BTL until I made the D&D thread there. It's going to be a once-per-week game, on the weekend, so it's not a huge time investment, and if those who post interest can't get a sheet done for tomorrow, I can introduce them next session without any problem. Your experience with the game doesn't matter too much to me, as long as you can be trusted not to make a broken caster--the group is full of new players, so I'm not exactly looking for powergaming shenanigans--and as long as you can learn quickly, if you're not already familiar with the system.

Comments

• Glaives are better.

I'm game. I could play a wizard from Aledes, banished for studying demon summoning as an attempt to drive off the necromancers.

If you'd have me, of course.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I could play a wizard from Aledes, banished for studying demon summoning as an attempt to drive off the necromancers.

That doesn't even make sense.

Let's ignore the moral conundrum in using Evil to fight Evil, when this is a very real conundrum with actual physical consequences in D&D.

No, let's look at how ridiculous it is to choose a wizard who summons demons for this.

Firstly, I shall wonder why it is a demon summoner doing this work, instead of Paladins and Clerics, people who are innately against the undead and actually have bonuses against them.

Secondly, I would wonder why a summoner who is fighting undead would not instead choose to summon divine beings, as they also have innate bonuses against Evil creatures.

• edited 2012-02-02 17:35:32
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

From a metagame perspective, that's true, but from an in-character perspective, I can see an evil-ish wizard who was asked to drive off zombies looking into that.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Wasn't there a rule that you couldn't play evil characters because that would ruin group cohesion or something?

Regardless, I MAY be interested in playing. But the whole "no powergaming" rule might be kind of a deal breaker.

• edited 2012-02-02 17:49:56

"Wasn't there a rule that you couldn't play evil characters because that would ruin group cohesion or something?"

Indeed, I'd prefer not to have characters who are too morally questionable; some disagreeable political opinions are one thing, but dabbling in explicitly evil magic might be a problem. Granted, there's a Prestige Class specifically based on summoning Evil creatures as a non-Evil character that's actually pretty good.

"Regardless, I MAY be interested in playing. But the whole "no powergaming" rule might be kind of a deal breaker."

Well, look through the character sheets that have been posted so far, as well as the inexperience of most of the players, and tell me that an optimized caster would go well with that. I'm kind of a powergamer at heart, but I'd like to not have anyone overshadowing anyone. Besides, it honestly doesn't take much conscious effort to make a powerful caster. Sorry if that sounded patronizing (I didn't mean for it to), but I don't generally see pro-powergaming sentiment outside of Giant in the Playground.

• edited 2012-02-02 17:47:51
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Wasn't there a rule that you couldn't play evil characters because that would ruin group cohesion or something?

I just spent ten minutes searching the thread to find that quote.

It seemed a bit silly to me to have all these Good characters, then a wizard who summons demons to kill undead tagging along when there are good options available.

Regardless, I MAY be interested in playing. But the whole "no powergaming" rule might be kind of a deal breaker.

Most of the players are inexperienced, is the problem. If you powergame, it essentially turns into "Crimson kills everything while the newbies fumble around with their weapons: The Game."

• edited 2012-02-02 17:58:31
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Granted, I'm a new to P&P RPGs and a complete noob to DnD myself. Make of that what you will but I probably can't help myself from seeking out some sort of overpowered build.

Also, what time are you guys playing?

• Glaives are better.

Hey, I never said that he was going to summon demons. I said that he was banished for STUDYING about demon summoning. Books of forbidden lore and all that. In-game he'd just use regular wizard spells.

Also, as INUH said, it makes sense from an in-character perspective. This is a man who lives in a country that's suffered enormous losses from a war that seemingly has no end. It's got cults of necromancers blended into its society, spreading disease and evil magic. In that sort of environment, desperation might full well lead a man to consider extreme measures to try to save his people. 

• edited 2012-02-02 18:03:14

"It seemed a bit silly to me to have all these Good characters, then a wizard who summons demons to kill undead tagging along when there are good options available."

For the record.

@Hatter: Given the link I just posted, I suppose I could justify a character who studies less acceptable magic, as long as they aren't doing it out of malice and as long as the creatures they consort with don't overtake them. Problem is, the other characters might have a problem with that. Wizard is fine, though, with discretion.

"

Hey, I never said that he was going to summon demons. I said that he was banished for STUDYING about demon summoning. Books of forbidden lore and all that. In-game he'd just use regular wizard spells.

Also, as INUH said, it makes sense from an in-character perspective. This is a man who lives in a country that's suffered enormous losses from a war that seemingly has no end. It's got cults of necromancers blended into its society, spreading disease and evil magic. In that sort of environment, desperation might full well lead a man to consider extreme measures to try to save his people. "

Fair enough. Sorry for jumping to a conclusion. But in the event that you end up being interested in that, it's technically viable. And what you've presented to me is pretty valid; while most nations in the campaign have become more tolerant of common folk with access to literature, Aledes is just the sort of nation that would be paranoid enough about such research to condemn it as criminal activity.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Make of that what you will but I probably can't help myself from seeking out some sort of overpowered build.

There is always the chance you could just... not >_>

In that sort of environment, desperation might full well lead a man to consider extreme measures to try to save his people. 

So remind me why he's studying demon summoning and not angel summoning, then?

• edited 2012-02-02 18:06:02
    Glaives are better.

Malconvoker looks cool. I might not actually take that prestige class, since my character doesn't actually summon demons and I don't want to start trouble with a bunch of Good characters, and he's sort of learned his lesson. 

EDIT: ^ Maybe angels wouldn't answer him. Maybe he thinks that the gods have abandoned his country. Maybe he thinks that demons are more powerful. There are a bunch of reasons why he might do such a thing, and none of them revolve around metagame knowledge. I don't USE metagame knowledge when I'm creating a character.

• edited 2012-02-02 18:08:00

"Granted, I'm a new to P&P RPGs and a complete noob to DnD myself. Make of that what you will but I probably can't help myself from seeking out some sort of overpowered build.

Also, what time are you guys playing?"

You could find a class handbook--there's one for most, if not all, of the character classes--if you wanted to see workable builds. But in all honesty, if it comes down to newbie meleers vs newbie caster, you probably won't have any problem making a standout character just by choosing the options that look cool.

And as for time, probably around 6:00 my time (so 11:00 at GMT +0) to whenever, on Saturday.

"So remind me why he's studying demon summoning and not angel summoning, then?"

Most angels are more powerful than most demons, so it's tougher to summon them. Of course, that's simply the mechanical justification; Hatter has already provided moral reasons for studying demons instead of angels.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

But in all honesty, if it comes down to newbie meleers vs newbie caster, you probably won't have any problem making a standout character just by choosing the options that look cool.

Fair enough.

And as for time, probably around 6:00 my time (so 11:00 at GMT +0).

Is this on weeknights? Because this is usually when I eat dinner/study.

• Has friends besides tanks now

^ Sorry, I wasn't more specific. It'll be on Saturdays. And the exact time could change, too, depending on what everyone has going on.

I don't USE metagame knowledge when I'm creating a character.

Angels are good guys while demons are bad guys. I don't see why that requires metagame knowledge to understand.

Your reasons are good, though.

You'd be surprised at how many people just ignore that because omgdemonsummoning.

Most angels are more powerful than most demons, so it's tougher to summon them.

But you can summon Celestial creatures at Level 1 :V

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I don't see a problem with Hatter's character.

All in all, he's not the only grey-ish one. My LN duskblade is honest and loyal, and not a bad guy overall, but somewhat arrogant, greedy and ocassionaly ruthless. I don't mind a bit of moral conflict within the party, as long as it doesn't get to the point where the characters would end up killing each others.

• edited 2012-02-02 18:14:00
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

@Everest: That's better, but it's still cutting a little close to stuff I have to do around that time. If it was in the afternoon I'd probably be on board, but right now I don't think I can make it.

• edited 2012-02-02 18:16:37
    Glaives are better.

^^ Sounds like we'd get along famously.

^^^ Just so you understand my reasoning. I've read a bit about Hermetic magic IRL from a old French book of magic I found in Scotland, so I know how evil demon summoning is considered to be (spoiler: It involves mass infanticide). That's why my character will be True Neutral instead of Neutral Evil - he never actually summoned a demon.

I don't see a problem with Hatter's character.

I am sure he would not conflict with the party too badly. The original proposition just did not make much sense when nearly the entire party is Good-aligned, and there are valid Good-aligned summons as well that I am fairly sure people are at least aware of if they are aware of demons.

I don't mind a bit of moral conflict within the party, as long as it doesn't get to the point where the characters would end up killing each others.

I do not mind this, either. It is the reason I have made my character as Good as can be- characters with a greyer cast often conflict interestingly with a goodie-goodie character, which often leads to a lot of dilemmas and such as people try to follow their morals and their ideals.

And as for time, probably around 6:00 my time (so 11:00 at GMT +0) to whenever, on Saturday.

I think that is... If that is 11PM, then that is 10AM Sunday morning, which should be fine.

"But you can summon Celestial creatures at Level 1 :V"

Those aren't Angels, though. If you'd said Celestial summoning, I would almost agree, but then I'd argue that Celestial creatures aren't going to seem more threatening, and therefore more effective, than demons.

"If it was in the afternoon I'd probably be on board, but right now I don't think I can make it."

It could very well be during the afternoon; it depends on the others.

Also, I just remembered that the girls' southwesterns swim meet is Saturday for a while, so afternoon might not work then.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

It amuses me how the two most intellectually oriented characters so far are also the most morally questionable. :P

Those aren't Angels, though. If you'd said Celestial summoning, I would almost agree, but then I'd argue that Celestial creatures aren't going to seem more threatening, and therefore more effective, than demons.

But I forgot what they were called :v

• Glaives are better.

Anyway, what are the rules for stat generation? Should I just use Elite Array? Also, what level are we starting at?

We're starting at level 1, and stats are determined by 32-point buy, standard cost, so slightly better than the Elite array.

• edited 2012-02-02 19:02:49
    Glaives are better.

Here we go:

Character Page 1

Character page 2

Spells:

Wizard Spells

Cantrips

Summon Monster I -- Conj -- 1
    Hypnotism -- Ench -- 1
    Sleep -- Ench -- 1
    Color Spray -- Illus -- 1

• edited 2012-02-02 19:07:44

Damn, that was fast. One question, and you're good to go, as far as I can see: which school of magic is your Spell Focus feat focused on?

• I'd like to play, if that's cool. With a Minotaur Paladin, who will mostly be a tank.

• Glaives are better.

Conjuration.

Also, this site is really useful for character creation. Took me about a minute.

"I'd like to play, if that's cool. With a Minotaur Paladin, who will mostly be a tank."

We're playing 3.5, so a Minotaur would be much too powerful to start with. If you're still interested, though, then welcome aboard.

• edited 2012-02-03 04:00:48

That's fine, Minotaur's are usually my "go-to" race, but I'll just pick something else.