If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Russian paranoia is really getting to me

edited 2012-01-20 23:40:00 in General

My brother and I bought a house nearby so we could put it up for rent. Not a day later a kindly couple from Russia accepted our deal and moved in. They're nice people, and the rent is occasionally months in advance, but I can't help shake the feeling they're spies.

Thanks US media, really...thanks.

(Also some Russian spies were discovered in Ottawa)

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I... don't know that feel, bro.

• Champion of the Whales

Be careful, you might have some Reds under the bed.

• Not...helping...

• Champion of the Whales

Do you have any rocks in your house?

Because if you do, I know a MI6 technique which will turn that rock into a listening device.

• Wow, really? How does that work?

• Ninjaclown - Is there anything near you worth spying on, though?

Also, most of the spies I ever read about were either (a) diplomats in the embassy of the country concerned (b) locals recruited by said diplomats or (c)"hostile" foreigners posing as locals or "friendly" foreigners. I'm not saying it never happens, but just moving in somewhere, being obviously foreign and new and starting to spy sounds a bit high-risk.

The thing Whale mentioned happened a couple of years ago when the Russians found a listening device that the British had put in a rock in a park in Moscow. It caused a big diplomatic incident at the time. I don't know what MI6 were hoping to overhear in a park, though. 

• Spy check!

FWOOOSH

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

d20+6 CR14

• edited 2012-01-21 06:34:25

"Wow, really? How does that work?"

See, now it's gone from regular biases that are understandable because we're only human, to racism.

• edited 2012-01-21 06:38:13
    Diet NEET

^^^^Maybe they've watched too many spy movies? http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OvertRendezvous

^Do you honestly think he plans on spying on them?

Also, implying Russians are a race when there are a bucketload of ethinicities in the Russian Federation.

• ^^I just saw it as curiosity.

• ^^ Well, that's kind of pedantic. Anyway, prejudice.

^Yeah, I probably looked a bit too  hard at that.

• You can change. You can.

It's not just pedantic, though. Treating the Russians as a race demonstrates just as much prejudice or even more than simply joking about them being spies.

• >pedantic

>Chechen conflict(ethinicity in Russia that wants more independence, is severely discriminated, death squads and hostage takings year round) largely ignored by international news media

Yeah no. I wasn't trying to be nitpicky or refute your notion of prejudice, but this sort of stuff should be known more.

• edited 2012-01-21 07:25:27

^^ It kind of bothers me that ignorance about race vs. place of origin is apparently just as or more prejudiced than judging them to be spies based on their place of origin.

^ I'm sorry. I didn't  know about the conflict.

• Meh, no need to apologize. I think the response was said way because OP already beat himself up for having such a preposterous idea as well, and your first post gave the impression that you assumed have was looking for a method to spy on him.

• edited 2012-01-21 11:49:07

I went to sleep, so there was no way I could reply to that. Basically, I was bewildered and asking how was spying through a rock possible.

^Addict nailed it, I have no intention to spy, nor do I actually believe they are spies.

• And in true "old person" style, the original incident with the rock actually happened longer ago than I thought. My next thread will probably be "IJBM: That policemen all look so young these days" or "IJBM: That kids today have no respect."  

• edited 2012-01-21 12:44:59
    No rainbow star
    ^ "IJBM: All the candy I used to like has gotten too sweet!"
  • Has friends besides tanks now

d20+6 CR14

DC 14! Not CR 14! >:[

Anyway, a serious response . . . well, actually, I don't have much to say beyond what has already been said, though that spying through a rock trick sounds really interesting, so I'mma read that. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about that, especially if it's a sentiment developed from watching too much U.S. news media.

• You can change. You can.

^^ It kind of bothers me that ignorance about race vs. place of origin is apparently just as or more prejudiced than judging them to be spies based on their place of origin.

Well, it's because you're basically assuming that every single person from one country belongs to a race, when most countries are multiracial to say the very least. It's homogenizing a whole countries' culture.

• edited 2012-01-21 15:57:50
    But you never had any to begin with.

DC 14! Not CR 14! >:[

Maybe someone is rolling enemies!

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^Like an encounter of D20+6 enemies of CR 14 each? Better run for it, I think. 

• But you never had any to begin with.

"Opening the ancient stone door, you come face to face with 26 cerebriliths."

• Has friends besides tanks now

What sort of madman would roll a D20 to decide how many enemies the players face? Or at least, who would do that while making all those enemies have the same CR?

Murderers. Duh.

• edited 2012-01-21 16:28:10
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Kinda reminds me of something that happened in a game I was in. We had a ring of three wishes, and we'd trapped a lich in a pool of lava and grabbed his phylactery. We needed to get away quickly to figure out a way to destroy it, so we used a ring of three wishes to (our party cleric's exact words) "teleport us to some random corner of the underdark."

There was a momentary pause, then the DM started doing a classic mad scientist evil laugh.

We wound up in the throne room of some illithid sorcerer-king guy, surrounded by his guards. Then we used another wish to teleport back to town immediately.

"teleport us to some random corner of the underdark."

Words that should never be said in a DnD game #19402892.