If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

ITT: Game genres you just plain suck at

edited 2012-01-16 15:23:00 in General

I have never beaten an adventure game without a walkthrough. Hell, I didn't even find the map screen in the original Monkey Island without a walkthrough.

So what's your problem genre?

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Dwarf Fortress.

Dwarf Fortress is too a genre.

• I generally fail at the usual turn-based RPG's.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

How can you?  They're just, pick Fight and watch animation.

I suck at shmups.  They're great to watch someone else play.  They're also great when I actually can dodge stuff...but not when I keep on screwing up.  Still, I play them sometimes.

• I dislike grinding, and a lot of the RPG's I've tried make "Fight"-ing an invalid strategy compared to using Magic.

• Glaives are better.

RTS. Really. 

That's why I play more Turn-based stuff, like Civilization or Lords of Magic (although I suck at those, too). 

• Rhytm games. Or any games which focus on obtain a highscore by repeating the same minigame.

• The only RTS games I don't suck at are EE II and the Total War series (as much as that counts). StarCraft and WarCraft...

• edited 2012-01-16 16:07:00
    Kichigai birthday!!

Turn based RPGs (except Pokemon) racing games (except Mario Kart) and Strategy in any of its forms.

I'm really good at platforming and puzzles and decent at rhytm games

• I've never gotten the best ending of any Castlevania without a guide.

• Has friends besides tanks now

FPS and racing games.

• >RTS. Really.

That too. I like Alpha Centauri better.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Racing and RTS.

• a little muffled

All of them.

• Fighting games, fighting games, did I mention fighting games?

Except for Smash Bros., that I'm more competent on.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Oh, right, I forgot to mention fighting games that aren't BlazBlue (or Smash Bros, though that's more due to there being so much luck involved that it would be quite difficult to suck at it)

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    RTS. Apart from the -craft games, I've never been able to get into one.

And fighting games, and non-Kart racing games.
  • I have the same problem with non-Smash/Soul fighting games and non-Kart driving games.

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.

Non smash fighting games and horror/survival horror games.

• I'm measurably worse than most of my friends at RTS. All other games I can play with some level of competence unless it's something very complicated, like most fighting games, realistic racing games, and non-Mario/Wii sports games.

On the other hand, I'm better than all of my friends and family at platformers and Smash Bros. Also DDR.

• edited 2012-01-16 16:45:08
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Oh yes, RTS.  I totally suck at that.

I play Age of Empires in order to watch stuff get built and stuff.

I suck at micromanaging military units, and my usual method of conquest involves turtling long enough until I build an overwhelming force and then attacking en masse.

It actually took me a while to realize that my siege weapons, with their splash damage, was killing my camels.

I'd love to play with anyone else sometime, but it would probably be best if I focused on the resource-gathering in the alliance.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Oh yeah, sports games too.
  • edited 2012-01-16 16:50:51
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I suck at sports games because I just have like, nearly zero experience with team sports games like soccer or (American/gridiron) football.  This is partly because I am not very familiar with some sports, especially gridiron football.  And on top of that, my greatest extent of playing soccer videogames is...Mega Man Soccer.

Tennis and bowling games are much more straightforward, in comparison, and are also more of a single-player thing that is easy to program into some sort of small-scale game that might appear on some pirate compilation cartridge for the Game Boy, like the one my mom picked up a couple decades ago somewhere in Hong Kong I think.  So I have more experience with these sorts of games.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

Racing (though considering my only non-Kart experience was F-Zero X, which is almost undoubtedly hailed as one of the hardest racing games), Fighting, FPS, RTS, Adventure.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Getting stuck in point-and-click adventures isn't really a new thing, though; some PACAs have really opaque puzzles with very unintuitive solutions.

I'm not much good at FPSes since I'm not good with aiming quickly.  Auto-aim FTW [trollface.png]

Team Fortress 2 is the only FPS I'm really good at online. But I still have a lot of fun playing them.
  • They're somethin' else.

Driving games, sports games, FPS, really grindy or counter intuitive JRPGs,

• Oh yeah, and DMC-style and music games. Even though I love to play them (on Easy mode).

• Kichigai birthday!!
    I'm good at sports games,but I don't really like playing them. Same with FPS. Except Perfect Dark. God I love Perfect Dark
  • ^ Best FPS for N64.