If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

D&D5e announced.

edited 2012-01-09 10:05:17 in Roleplaying
One foot in front of the other, every day.
I have no thoughts on this.

I just thought you guys should know.

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    oh oh oh oh ihaveathoughtcanishare

ahem

this shit's still on
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Perhaps we could have a D&D session or whatever when it comes out.

But, play it like 8-Bit Theatre or some shit.

A party of exceptional no-hopers mistaken for the true heroes of the land.

Actually, I make it sound kind of awesome.
  • edited 2012-01-09 11:11:36
    Has friends besides tanks now
    :O

Now to investigate.

But we totally need a group for this, if only to playtest it, if it ends up being bad. I want to DM a game again. Only online, though; I'm terrible at DMing in real life, or at least I am with friends.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I swear I read a thing like a week ago where they denied that they'd do this within the next few years.

Of course, the same was true when 4E was announced.
  • Glaives are better.
    I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK AND THIS IS SCARING ME
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Does 4E make the gameplay any faster?

One of the biggest annoyances with my experiences with D&D (which were all 3.5e) was how long it took for stuff to happen. Character creation took me an hour, and then every combat encounter took anywhere from half an hour (for simple encounters) to several hours (for particularly complicated ones). Sucks even more if your character is knocked out for most of the combat.
  • edited 2012-01-09 12:01:12
    Has friends besides tanks now

Character creation is easier, I think, but combat takes much, much longer than in 3.5e, since the enemies' health increases at a faster rate than the PC's and the damage output of PCs' powers doesn't scale fast enough compared to health.

I'll grant that the fights I ran usually took a long time in either edition I played, but I can still notice the difference from 3.5e to 4e, and it isn't in 4e's favor. Besides, 3.5e fights usually took a long time because my players make ridiculous characters and I have to respond with equal ridiculousness to keep up as a DM. And because the people playing casters would inevitably have to look up the details of spells they have.

I am wondering if JRPGs came up with a great idea when they decided to simplify the battle system.

• @Alex. Part of what makes 8-bit is they're not the true heros, the other part is they're all raving lunatics.

• Glaives are better.

I don't like the HP system. It seems like a needless abstraction, and it doesn't mean all that much when you get right down to it. For instance, a fighter can take a bath in lava at higher levels without suffering permanent injury.

I'd much rather use the vitality/wound system from Unearthed Arcana.

^^^Nah, the real improvement there is that you don't have to roll the dice yourself.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^Right. JRPG systems are still more complicated than a lot of tabletops but you don't have to do the math. You just click and point.

That said, fuck your shit Wizards. It's only been a few years.

• Has friends besides tanks now

I dunno, I'm kind of excited for an edition where they at least make it a point to have extensive playtesting and feedback before releasing it.

And I like rolling the dice and doing the math. That's part of the fun of it, for me.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^I just wanna pretend to have magic powers and set orcs on fire.

I guess playtesting might be nice, but Wizards has been notoriously bad for stuff like that.

Wizards should look at Paizo for marketing advice, since Paizo has apparently been successful at this.

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

Isn't the fourth edition relatively new? Why are they so quick to introduce a new edition again? Did they run out of ideas to make money of D&D4?

I can't say that I have much interest though. I know next to nothing about the 4th edition and I doubt that it will be different with the 5th. The only edition that interested me (as in, I actually consider it interesting for actual RPG and not just video game adaptations) is the third edition (or Pathfinder).

• edited 2012-01-09 14:27:30
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^I think it's because Pathfinder is currently more profitable than 4E.

"Isn't the fourth edition relatively new? Why are they so quick to introduce a new edition again? Did they run out of ideas to make money of D&D4?"

I think this has something to do with the backlash against the fourth edition.

I'm probably going to look into this, but I doubt I'll actually play it. D&D's not bad, but there are a lot of RPGs that interest me more (for example, I'd quite like it if the RoS and V:tM games here got off the ground).

NEVER! :D

I really want to popularize BESM.

However, first, I need to actually read it.

• Likes cheesecake unironically.

Ugh, I have an aversion against that one from the title alone. Big eyes and small mouth may appear in manga and anime often, but make a horrible title.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    For what it's worth, I've submitted my character for RoS, aside from minor things like equipment and food, but that shouldn't be too hard.
    @Nyarly: Okay, fine. Risus. And Super Console.
  • edited 2012-01-09 16:47:51
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

I know Risus, but what's Super Console?

A TRPG system built around a stereotypical JRPG feel.