If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Welcome page

edited 2012-01-06 11:53:26 in IJBM meta
You can change. You can.
The idea has been thrown a lot, and reading the IJBM anniversary thread, I can't help but think that we might as well try to put or heads together and draft something, rather than just talking about it everytime we bring up the subject of new possible users

Comments

• Shouldn't this be in IJBM meta? /nitpick
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    You have excellent timing. UE just posted in a backroom thread saying he'd be able to get a link to an "about us" page up if we gave him a draft.
  • You can change. You can.
    I pride myself in my ability to do things just when they're requested and needed. 

(Note: this doesn't apply to important things like errands, homework and everything else ever)
    Anyway, here's my draft:

Welcome to IJBM! Surely, you want to know who are we and what we do, some come, take a sit and we'll answer you're questions, one at a time:

Who are we?

IJBM is a forum created by Longfellow and Glenn Magus Harvey (GMH). We came about as a spin off of another major internet forum [We don't have to name it and I think it's for the best to not name it for now] after the original forum deleted a similar subforum. However, after some time, we've decided to establish our own set of rules and style of moderations, creating a new community almost from scratch. 

So, um, what is discussed here?

We discuss anything as long as we're knowledgeable and civil about it. All we ask from an OP is to simply leave open space for discussion (Unless it's on the Wonderful Posts catgory, which means that all's fair game. As long as it follows the rules)

and that's pretty much all I can think of right now. It's rather lame, but I think some of the core ideas would work.

Thoughts?
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    All in favour of the Drama Chronicles thread being used to construct an official IJBMII history page, say "I".

I.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^Aw, geez...wasn't the idea to make new people more likely to join?
  • I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.
    But it's fun to read!

What are you talking about
    Aye /Horrible pun

anyway, I definetly would not want reminders of chuggles and his existence anywhere. In fact, I'd like to pretend that my beloved mods were not stupid enough to let that guy stay for more than half a year >:|
  • No - fun though some of that was, we shouldn't actually encourage drama-seekers to join. And Chagen should be deprived of any further publicity by all possible means.

• Oh hey, I believe I should say something.

All in favour of the Drama Chronicles thread being used to construct an official IJBMII history page, say "I".

As nice as that'd be, I think the others are right in that it'd be counterproductive for the site. In fact, lately I've been wondering if I should continue posting stuff there.

On the other hand, an actual IJBM history thread would be nice (not that I'd know what else would go in there).
  • edited 2012-01-06 09:40:17
    You can change. You can.
    Origins? Where we came from? (I'd advocate strongly against that, as most of us want a proper identity outside of TvT and these days, you're as likely to get a user who's aware of the shit going down there as you might get a blissfully aware user. And in both cases, we lose, as we're still associated with the place, and I think that for this place to strive, we need to start cutting even more ties)
  • edited 2012-01-06 11:03:45
    Loser
    Juan_Carlos,

I think it is okay to mention TV Tropes in the about us page if you are going to mention stuff about IJBM II being a spin-off from a major site, if only because it might seem confusing otherwise. If you do want to cut ties with TV Tropes as much as possible, then maybe all you need to say in that part is "IJBM started as a spin-off but has since grown to be its own community." 

As for other stuff you might want to mention, I think it might be a good idea to put a "what is the point of this place" heading between "who are we" and "what is discussed here" so it is clearer to new users that IJBM II is a general discussion forum with somewhat of a focus on stuff that bugs you. I am not sure I agree with the knowledgeable part of "We discuss anything as long as we're knowledgeable and civil about it," but that might just be a personal preference.

Another idea would be to include some kind of brief description of what the site values (e.g., open, civil discussion about whatever topics people feel like bringing up). I am not really sure what that list would entail since I do not really know what IJBM II values, but that kind of thing might work.
  • edited 2012-01-06 11:07:52
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > Origins

IJBM 2, followed by its sequel
    IJBM 2.1: Origins

lol

I think JC's draft is decent.  I'd written up this draft myself a while back:
    We're a forum of people who like to discuss things.  We like to complain
    about things, too, and we discuss the contents of those complaints.

Yes,
    we originated as a spin-off from TV Tropes's "It Just Bugs Me"
    subforum, but we welcome new members with open arms (as long as they
    aren't spammers or ban-evaders).

One note: You have to request
    membership.  This isn't because we want to keep you out, but because we
    get a lot of spammers and we haven't figured out a better way to keep
    them out.  Your membership will be approved in a day or so at most.

Comments welcome.  Formatting borked because stupid editor.  UE's putting the finishing touches on a new comment editor.

I don't think we should mention that TV Tropes deleted a subforum of the same name.  That would just confuse new people.
    it is okay to mention TV Tropes in the about us page if you are going to mention stuff about IJBM II being a spin-off, if only because it might seem confusing otherwise. If you do want to cut ties with TV Tropes as much as possible, then maybe all you need to say in that part is "IJBM started as a spin-off but has since grown to be its own community."

I think there's hardly a necessity to tell where do we come from in the about us page, if we truly strive to create a name and an identity for ourselves. 

With that said, I wouldn't entirely mind if people decided that putting it in is good enough.  

As for other stuff you might want to mention, I think it might be a good idea to put a "what is the point of this place" heading between "who are we" and "what is discussed here" so it is clearer to new users that IJBM II is a general discussion forum with somewhat of a focus on stuff that bugs you. I am not sure I agree with the knowledgeable part of "We discuss anything as long as we're knowledgeable and civil about it," but that might just be a personal preference.

Well, personally, I prefer it if people around here did their research before posting something Or, if they can't/Don't understand the information they find through such third parties as Google or Wikipedia, ask for clarification. then again, what I'm saying is basic netiquette, so there's that.

Another idea would be to some kind of brief description of what the site values (e.g., open, civil discussion about whatever topics people feel like bringing up). I am not really sure what that list would entail since I do not really know what IJBM II values, but that kind of thing might work.

I'll definetly take that into account when I write a second draft.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Let's try combining JC's and my ideas:

Who are we?

IJBM is a general-purpose forum.  We came about as a spinoff of a major internet forum, but we welcome new users with open arms.  The basic premise of our forum is a place to complain about things, but in a way that's civil and generally promotes discussion.

You can discuss anything as long as you're friendly and civil about it.  You don't even have to complain about something to start a thread.  We've got many categories of topics, even one for silliness.

How do I sign up?

For now, you have to apply for membership; this is in place since we don't yet have a better way of weeding out spammers.
    moving this to IJBM meta category
    Observations:

• I think that we all agree that the Complaining part is pretty much no longer our premise, so we should instead say that our premise is discussion. If we want, I guess we could explain the name of the site via explaining the old premise, but it's not that important, I think.
    • I think that the "What is discussed here?" part should be "We discuss anything as long as you're friendly and civil about it and as long as there's space for discussion/interest" [Personally, I'd keep the part of "Space for discussion" and leave the interest part, regardless of how relatively honest it is. :p]
    • There should be a link to the rules (Speaking of those, I think that with this page, we can finally delete rule 0 and just incorporate it into this, as it works both as a description of what we aim for and what we ask of our users)
    • A link to the introduction thread would also work well
    • And probably a "We also have an IRC channel" with the info for both of our channels (If #ijbm ever becomes a usable channel, anyway)
  • ^ Supporting these suggestions. I wouldn't mind an explicit mention of TV Tropes though. In spite of all the recent controversy and the fact that most of us have left or are disillusioned with the place, I don't think that the entire Internet has risen as one against it yet. Talking about "a major internet forum" looks vague and suggests we have something to hide. 
    Who are we?

IJBM is a general-topics discussion forum.  We came about as a spinoff of TV Tropes, but we welcome new users with open arms.

You can discuss anything as long as you're friendly and civil about it.  Above all else, don't be a jerk.  While we used to be about complaining about things (hence our name), you don't need to have a complaint to start a thread.  We've got many categories of topics, even one for silliness.

How do I join?

First, you have to sign up.  For now, this means applying for membership; this is in place since we don't yet have a better way to weed out spammers.

After you join, introduce yourself in the introductions thread, and check out the rules.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    While it's important to maintain our own identity I still think it's important to point out we're a TVT spinoff. Acknowledging our roots and all.
    I feel like it will probably make people go "Buh, tvtropes" or "Why am I joining here if I can go to the original one"

Also, I mostly think that there's hardly a point in mentioning we're a spinoff, were it not because you have to mention where the idea of a forum comes from, most of the time.
  • A welcome page would be helpful. Especially if somebody wants to link to it in a forum signature. A good way to introduce people to the site.
  • edited 2012-01-08 18:34:39
    Let's try this again, shall we?

Who are we?

IJBM is a general-topics discussion forum.

You can discuss anything as long as you're friendly and civil about it.  Above all else, don't be a jerk.  While we used to be about complaining about things (hence our name), you don't need to have a complaint to start a thread or join a conversation.  We've got many categories of topics, even one for silliness.

How do I join?

First, you have to sign up.  For now, this means applying for membership; this is in place since we don't yet have a better way to weed out spammers.

After you join, introduce yourself in the introductions thread, and check out the rules.
  • edited 2012-01-08 18:40:01
    You can change. You can.
    Who are we?
    IJBM is a general-topics discussion forum.

A bit bare.

What I would do:

Who are we?

IJBM is a general topics discussion forum about media and the internet, although anything can, has been and will be discussed. 

I'd add a may in the intro part, if only because it sounds more casual to me.
  • edited 2012-01-08 18:42:08
    IJBM is a general-topics discussion forum.  We typically discuss topics relating to media and stuff on the internet, but just about anything can, has been, and will be discussed.
    yeah, that's much better.
    trying to figure out where to put the About Us page right now.

Anyone use the Search box btw?
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Sometimes.
  • Nope, I just use Google.
    I wonder if we can get the search box in the top right and then put About Us after Sign Out.