If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM II's One Year Anniversary

edited 2013-01-07 00:16:17 in IJBM meta
Loser

Yeah, I realize that it will actually be four days until the one year anniversary of IJBM's deletion/the creation of IJBM II, but I figured that it might be worth it to start talking about now.

Anyway, it has been about a year and I am interested to hear about other people's impressions of that year and how things have changed since the deletion of IJBM. I do not really have much else to add, so I guess I might as well make this some kind of questionnaire. It is probably a good idea to keep in mind that some of the TV Tropes stuff is borderline so please try to avoid insulting individual tropers or otherwise importing drama.

On IJBM:

• Were you active in IJBM prior to its deletion? If so, what did you like/dislike the most about it?

• Before IJBM's deletion was announced, did you think that subforum would ever be axed?

• Do you think IJBM's deletion made sense?

• Do you have any good/bad memories of IJBM post-deletion announcement (especially its last few hours)?

• In your view, has IJBM's deletion affected TV Tropes? Would TV Tropes be better or worse if IJBM became a subforum again?

• How have your posting habits/view of TV Tropes changed since IJBM's deletion?

On IJBM II:

• Did you ever envision something like IJBM II after IJBM's end was announced?

• Are you surprised that IJBM II is still around?

• Are you surprised that you are still posting on IJBM II? What keeps you coming back?

• What are your favorite/least favorite aspects of IJBM II, especially in comparison to IJBM?

• How well do you believe IJBM II has captured the spirit of the original IJBM? Should it be similar or were there problems with IJBM that IJBM II has solved?

• If IJBM had been moderated and treated like IJBM II, do you think it would still be on TV Tropes today?

• What do you think is the most important factor for keeping IJBM II alive in the future?

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    Were you active in IJBM prior to its deletion? If so, what did you like/dislike the most about it?

I came around the time its deletion was announced. I mostly lurked it and posted sometimes, to argue about a couple of subjects I thought I was knowledgeable about, such as dating and Death of the Author

Do you think IJBM's deletion made sense?

At first, given that I didn't experience much of IJBM except for its shitposty, end of days side, I thought it did. But as I haven't seen the way IJBM worked beforehand, I'd like to think that I'm not entirely sure about it.

Do you have any good/bad memories of IJBM post-deletion announcement (especially its last few hours)?

Everyone was basically being as fucktarded as they could be. It was annoying.

In your view, has IJBM's deletion affected TV Tropes? Would TV Tropes be better or worse if IJBM became a subforum again?

One of the most, shall we say, infamous results, was OTC becoming the new IJBM, where all the drama, bigotry and so on happen.

I think, personally, that bringing back IJBM would do nothing, as most of the problems in TvT is user and administrator-based, rather than just environment based

How have your posting habits/view of TV Tropes changed since IJBM's deletion?

I've become more vitriolic, and I don't mind being so, if I feel I'm right. I also learned to be mellow in the right situation, though.

Did you ever envision something like IJBM II after IJBM's end was announced?

Nah. Hell, I discovered this board, like, 6-7 months after it was founded

Are you surprised that IJBM II is still around?

Most certainly. Especially when it became the banned tropers circle

Are you surprised that you are still posting on IJBM II? Why do you keep coming back?

I like arguing and the place has learned to leave its drama shenanigans behind.

What are your favorite/least favorite aspects of IJBM II?

How forgiving the administration tends to be (This has been reduced over time, of course) and the shitposting damaging the arguing part of it all.

If IJBM had been moderated and treated like IJBM II, do you think it would still be on TV Tropes today?

Hardly. We had way more drama than necessary, and we were not pre emptive enough.

What do you think is the most important factor for keeping IJBM II alive in the future?

More users, more variety of topics, the ability to discern when banning a person is proper and being able to change and adjust with the times.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    • No, I hated IJBM on TvTropes and stayed away from it as much as possible.
    • No, but I really hoped.
    • Yes.
    • No.
    • It was the first big step in TvTropes' "No Negativity" policy, which I think is harmful to the site in the long run.
    • It really didn't

Part 2:

• No.
    • Yeah, kinda.
    • Somewhat, what keeps me coming is that it's nothing like Tv Tropes' IJBM and people I genuinely like and respect go here.
    • The moderation, specifically how it responds to bad posters in comparison to Tv Tropes.
    • No, and that's a good thing.
    • I'd go as far as to say that Tv tropes as a whole would be much better off if it was moderated like IJBM II
    • Encouraging new blood and excising terrible people.
  • edited 2012-01-05 09:23:47
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

• edited 2012-01-04 17:34:53
    a little muffled
    Were you active in IJBM prior to its deletion? If so, what did you like/dislike the most about it?
    I was. I'm not really sure why I liked it; I suppose it was the fact that more or less anything could be discussed but it wasn't full of megathreads like Yack Fest. I disliked the drama.
    Before IJBM's deletion was announced, did you think that subforum would ever be axed?
    Definitely not.
    No; it was treating the symptoms rather than the disease.
    Do you have any good/bad memories of IJBM post-deletion announcement (especially its last few hours)?
    Not really, I missed most of that.
    In your view, has IJBM's deletion affected TV Tropes? Would TV Tropes be better or worse if IJBM became a subforum again?
    It was, as said, the start of the NO COMPLAINING EVER shit, which was dumb (especially as they outright said they didn't plan on doing that when they first announced the deletion).
    I post there substantially less; I hadn't really noticed that I was posting almost entirely in IJBM, but I was.

I expected it to happen; I didn't expect it to be successful.
    Not really, small forums with small communities can last a long time. I've had lots of experience with that.
    Are you surprised that you are still posting on IJBM II? Why keeps you coming back?
    Not surprised, I come back for the community, I guess, or just because I have nowhere better to post.
    What are your favorite/least favorite aspects of IJBM II, especially in comparison to IJBM?
    Having sane mods is nice, and less trolls on account of not being attached to a larger forum.
    How
    well do you believe IJBM II has captured the spirit of the original
    IJBM? Should it be similar or were there problems with IJBM that IJBM II
    has solved?
    Eh, it's close enough as far as I can see. It's not all complaining anymore, but that's probably okay.
    If IJBM had been moderated and treated like IJBM II, do you think it would still be on TV Tropes today?
    Most of the TV Tropes mods seem to be convinced that this place is a poorly-moderated shithole (to which I say look who's talking), but whether that's based on having ever actually checked I can't say.
    What do you think is the most important factor for keeping IJBM II alive in the future?
    I dunno.
  • edited 2012-01-04 18:18:53
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    >>Were you active in IJBM prior to its deletion? If so, what did you like/dislike the most about it?
    Yup. That was even before I was Forzare. I liked it, but I can't really remember specific reasons why. I don't even remember my posting style from then or how I came across.

>>Before IJBM's deletion was announced, did you think that subforum would ever be axed?
    Not really.

>>Do you think IJBM's deletion made sense?
    Not really. Especially since the stupidity just moved to OTC, from what I've seen.

>>Do you have any good/bad memories of IJBM post-deletion announcement (especially its last few hours)?
    Nope. I pretty much just stopped posting there when I heard, since it was going to be gone anyway.

>>In your view, has IJBM's deletion affected TV Tropes? Would TV Tropes be better or worse if IJBM became a subforum again?
    I don't really pay enough attention to TV Tropes as a whole to really judge. Though it was the herald of the "Negativity = inherently bad" thing, and seriously fuck that. I'm kind of glad it's separate now, though.

>>How have your posting habits/view of TV Tropes changed since IJBM's deletion?
    I think I've become much calmer since I've been posting here. Much less shit-posty. Also, I dislike the TV Tropes. I still sort of like the wiki, for what it is, but it's definitely not what it really says it is.

On IJBM II:

>>Did you ever envision something like IJBM II after IJBM's end was announced?
    Not really.

>>Are you surprised that IJBM II is still around?
    Kind of, yeah. I didn't join until like five months later because I thought it would suck.

>>Are you surprised that you are still posting on IJBM II? Why keeps you coming back?
    Well, I've lasted longer here than I have on any other forum without getting bored or whatever and leaving. I do like most of the people here, though, and I like the smaller, more familiar atmosphere here.

>>What are your favorite/least favorite aspects of IJBM II, especially in comparison to IJBM?
    Until recently, I would have said the inability of the mods to just ban certain users who had no business not being banned here. That's pretty much resolved now, though, so I'll go with the site being a bit too small.

>>How well do you believe IJBM II has captured the spirit of the original IJBM?
    I dunno. I like it the way it is, though.

>>Should it be similar or were there problems with IJBM that IJBM II has solved?
    I think it's better here than it was on TVT. Especially since we haven't had a real shitstorm in forever.

>>If IJBM had been moderated and treated like IJBM II, do you think it would still be on TV Tropes today?
    Nah.

>>What do you think is the most important factor for keeping IJBM II alive in the future?
    We need more members. I actually kind of like that the site is small, but we do need new blood now and then so it doesn't just waste away.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
        * Were you active in IJBM prior to its deletion? If so, what did you like/dislike the most about it?
    Yes.  I liked how it was a place that hosted both serious and silly topics, so that people would come for one and come in contact with the other, encouraging a more diverse set of viewpoints. 

* Before IJBM's deletion was announced, did you think that subforum would ever be axed?
    I did.  I was always surprised that a subforum for complaining about things--especially an easily-accessible subforum of a major website with high forum traffic and an easy account creation process--had lasted that long.

* Do you think IJBM's deletion made sense?
    It did in the sense that it removed a moderation nightmare.  I mean, it was a place where basically anyone and everyone had airtime to bitch about anything, no matter how big or small; without sufficient moderation keeping stupid emotional reactions (e.g. RAEG) in check, this is guaranteed to be a drama fountain.

* Do you have any good/bad memories of IJBM post-deletion announcement (especially its last few hours)?
    Apart from the extremely silly threads I made (such as "Stealth Rock", where I just plastered the first post with a large number of controversial topics...only for people to actually discuss Stealth Rock afterwards), it was very much cluttered with pointlessness.  And I'm pretty sure it was a big strain on the servers.  Not that it came as a surprise; I totally expected IJBM 1 to go out with as chaotic and shitposty a mess as possible.

* In your view, has IJBM's deletion affected TV Tropes? Would TV Tropes be better or worse if IJBM became a subforum again?
    I think it probably cleaned up the forum a bit, making it more like what (based on my understanding) Fast Eddie wanted it to be, which is basically a place for the TV Tropes community to supplement the wiki.  I know there are criticisms of the site and the forum unnecessarily quashing dissent and avoiding drama by gag orders, but adding IJBM back won't solve those problems.

* How have your posting habits/view of TV Tropes changed since IJBM's deletion?
    I've spent less time on TVTF mostly because I now have IJBM to manage.

----

* Did you ever envision something like IJBM II after IJBM's end was announced?
    I was one of the first people to propose IJBM 2, in fact; several PMs and "ghost threads" were exchanged privately to help set this up.

Then I was made administrator of this forum.  I was like, wait what?  Then I realized I'd been too darn involved in the first place and I had this coming.

* Are you surprised that IJBM II is still around?
    Not really.

* Are you surprised that you are still posting on IJBM II? Why keeps you coming back?
    I'm not surprised; I'm one of the people running the darn place, and I kinda have a responsibility to not neglect it.  That's not to say I don't enjoy posting here, though.

* What are your favorite/least favorite aspects of IJBM II, especially in comparison to IJBM?
    I like how it preserves a simple interface like the TVTF version of IJBM.  We host no pictures or other non-text content except for avatars, and we don't have a space for signatures (much less huge banner sigs), and we keep things simple and focused on the content.

We also have some software bugs, but we'll sort those out as time goes on.

* How well do you believe IJBM II has captured the spirit of the original IJBM? Should it be similar or were there problems with IJBM that IJBM II has solved?
    I would like to think that we have a more engaged moderation staff that's attentive to the needs of the community, and that has made IJBM 2 a better place to both unwind casually and discuss things seriously.  What do you think?

* If IJBM had been moderated and treated like IJBM II, do you think it would still be on TV Tropes today?
    I really don't know.

* What do you think is the most important factor for keeping IJBM II alive in the future?
    Maintaining an atmosphere and interface suited for casual discussion of any topic, by doing our best to keep the website running smoothly and the community relatively free of drama and other problems.
  • Has friends besides tanks now

Yes, I was. The thing I liked most about it was that I found the topics funny at the time. I only joined in the September before it was taken down, though, so I don't recall any huge drama besides Chagenthreads.

Before IJBM's deletion was announced, did you think that subforum would ever be axed?

Nope.

I dunno.

Nope. In fact, my experience there was almost entirely worse since its deletion, with the exception of my time spent in the Jammies thread and running a D&D game.

I guess it redirected a lot of the worse people to other areas and caused some to leave. Or something. All I know is that its deletion hardly did anything to improve TVTropes in the long run.

Well, I've learned not to share as much about myself since then, and my view of the site as a whole has become unfavorable at the best of times, and scathing at the worst.
  • edited 2012-01-04 18:33:05
    Has friends besides tanks now

Never really gave it much thought; just saw IJBM's death and was done with it.

Nope.

Are you surprised that you are still posting on IJBM II? Why keeps you coming back?

Not really. This is basically my main hangout spot now, and just having some company outside of school is nice.

What are your favorite/least favorite aspects of IJBM II, especially in comparison to IJBM?

Oh, here's the fun question.

Favorites:
    -It's slow enough that moderation isn't a complete pain in the ass.
    -The users who are still here are great to hang out with.
    -My time as a moderator has really helped my development; it took some time for me to start growing out of my harshness towards problem posters, but I've learned to keep my vitriol in the back room.

Least favorites:
    -Banned tropers using this place as a fallback and us having our reputation/discussion value decline because of it. There are some people who should have been turned away at the gate, and we all know who they are, and in the future I really do think we should be warier of people who've recently been banned from . . . well, anywhere; if they're going to be a problem, I don't want 'em around.
    -Being a part of a moderation team that was too lenient at first and allowing myself to be complacent and go along with policies I didn't agree with because things had always been done like that. To be honest, I did disagree with our way of handling bans; case in point, I wanted Chagen gone after his first ban (and in fact, I hated him and held a grudge against him until after his monthban, when I decided he wasn't worth my hatred), but we went through the usual process and people got worked up multiple times before we decided we'd had enough.
    -On that note, people get worked up here too easily. I feel like too few people here know how not to let idiots get to them; at least half of the drama that we've had could have been avoided if people had just seen problematic posts, gone "lol he stupid", and found somewhere else to be, ignoring the problem with maybe a flag. I, personally, feel like I would have been more inclined to voice my real thoughts to the other mods and take action against people we were too lenient towards if everyone else hadn't taken the opportunities given to them to be pissed off out of turn.

How well do you believe IJBM II has captured the spirit of the original IJBM? Should it be similar or were there problems with IJBM that IJBM II has solved?

We're nothing like the original IJBM, which has its benefits and drawbacks; the original IJBM hadway better shitposting, but we're (at this point, at least) much more relaxed than they were. Dedicating categories to non-bitchy threads probably helped there.

Probably not. Not that I care about TVTropes anymore anyway.

Productivity in real life, so people can take in media/world events and share them with the rest of us, inspiring the rest of us to do more in turn.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Yes; I dunno, I guess it was just that it moved relatively fast when I showed up, but didn't have as many intimidating megathreads as Yackfest did.
    No.
    Was it a reasonable idea? Yes. Did it work? No.
    I think I saved my last post somewhere. Don't even remember what it said, though.
    In your view, has IJBM's deletion affected TV Tropes? 
    Not particularly. It pissed some people off, but they've all moved on to other things to be pissed off about now. I'll refrain from making value judgments on said pissedness.
    Would TV Tropes be better or worse if IJBM became a subforum again?
    No.
    That's probably a question better answered by someone other than me.
    No.
    Yeah, I didn't think it would even last a few weeks. That's why it took me awhile to show up here.
    There was a period, I'll be honest, where things were shitstormy enough that I only came back because I was a mod. That period, though, ended, and I'm quite happy I stuck around.
    I like that it's its own community, rather than a subcommunity. Beyond that...honestly, I don't think they're similar enough to compare.
    How well do you believe IJBM II has captured the spirit of the original IJBM?
    Hmmm...on the one hand, I like it, but on the other, I think IJBM II is at this point a very oddly named general-purpose forum. It retains some traits, but it has its own distinct identity. And that's a good thing.
    In what sense?
    People need to show up some. Though they have been of late. We could also do with that "about us" page that's sitting on the to-do list.
  • You know what? I'm a mod and I STILL don't know how to do quote blocks here. As soon as someone tells me how, I'll make my list XD.

While you're at it, might as well as that question: What is the most embarrassing thing you have seen/typed/heard from here?
    ^You put the cursor on the line you want to indent and hit the button with a few lines and a blue arrow pointing right.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Or [.quote][./quote] without the periods.
    Like so.
  • a little muffled
    Wait, that works?
  • edited 2012-01-04 19:35:50
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Oh, right. Forgot that got added.
  • On IJBM:
    • Were you active in IJBM prior to its deletion? If so, what did you like/dislike the most about it?
    • It was the first place I ever went to when I learned the forums existed. It was the first forum I went to regularly and became a member of. I (usually) liked everyone there, that was the big thing because that never happened before.
    • Before IJBM's deletion was announced, did you think that subforum would ever be axed?
    • Honestly, it came as a surprise to me at first, but now that I look back I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. More and more irritable people I despised were jumping on board, and while I hated the fact that people kept blowing the mod horn just because they didn't like the stuff we were complaining about, I had to consider the mod's standpoint that it was a nightmare to moderate.
    • With the direction TV Tropes began to take, we were going to be goners sooner or later. Might as well happen now instead of, say, years later.
    • Do you have any good/bad memories of IJBM post-deletion announcement (especially its last few hours)?
    • I was disappointed in the administration for not seeing the value of the subforum, but ultimately I became ashamed I was ever associated with the idiots who made IJBM I's last days remembered as a wretched hive of morons.
    • In your view, has IJBM's deletion affected TV Tropes? Would TV Tropes be better or worse if IJBM became a subforum again?
    • TVT began to take a different direction long before we were axed, we would have ended up on the chopping block sooner or later.
    • Nope. Be nice, be courteous, respect others and their opinions especially if they are much different from your own. That's how I've always done it, and that's how I will always do it.

On IJBM II:

• To be honest, no. I panicked because I would have nowhere else to turn to. Then this place showed up, and I came the very next day once I saw many familiar faces.
    • No, because WE ARE AWESOME.
    • Are you surprised that you are still posting on IJBM II? Why keeps you coming back?
    • I like most people here, and the few I don't like I have at least a begrudging respect for sticking around here. I have come to think of everyone here as brothers; though we may not always get along, we are still kindred spirits with a bond that is not easily forged.
    • What are your favorite/least favorite aspects of IJBM II, especially in comparison to IJBM?
    • At first, I liked the fact we got to continue bitching without the prying eyes of the TvT administration, but eventually we evolved to doing other things like IJAM, roleplaying (not my thing participating but I like reading them from time to time) and even wonderful posts where we can go insane and others understand, it's like a sign saying "Not serious you guys". Plus, now that I'm a moderator I can really appreciate the fact this place moves at a speed I'm comfortable with, like leave for a few hours and can quickly catch up the the day's posts.
    • How
      has solved?
    • I think we have been able to endure for so long is BECAUSE we are almost nothing like the first IJBM, in the same way the AVALANCHE you see in Final Fantasy VII is nothing like the AVALANCHE in like Before Crisis or Crisis core. For example, only the people who actually cared came here to make accounts and we all generally get along for the most part. We still do the same stuff we used to, only better and with many more options.
    • If IJBM had been moderated and treated like IJBM II, do you think it would still be on TV Tropes today?
    • No. Their official stance is "no negativity", and there is absolutely no possibility we could have been allowed to stay with that kind of stance.
    • What do you think is the most important factor for keeping IJBM II alive in the future?
    • The ironic thing is that more people from TvT are finding out about
      this place and, AMAZINGLY, would rather hang out HERE rather than Yack
      Fest or the disease festival we call OTC, which has almost become like
      the new bane of the website where people go to complain, except the On-Topic rule means people flaunt their opinions at each other with no comprehension or understanding of tolerance or respect towards one another
      , so basically what I'm say is...they can suck it.
    But ultimately, the reason this place is still around is because of YOU GUYS. YOU GUYS make all this possible, YOU GUYS keep this place thriving. This place could not come around because of YOU GUYS. Never forget that.
    But ultimately, the reason this place is still around is because of YOU GUYS. YOU GUYS make all this possible, YOU GUYS keep this place thriving. This place could not come around because of YOU GUYS. Never forget that.

not sure if pretentious or heartwarming

• YOU DOUBT MY SINCERITY, PEASANT?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I'm gonna go with the second one. :V
    Thy sincerity is irrelevant to the pretentiousness of such an statement

also, thoust have attacked my honour

i challenge thee to a duel at dawn

...am i doing it rite
    "or?"
    Pretentious things can't be heartwarming, inuh.

it's in the rules
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Your duel demanding skills show promise, Juan, but need development if you want to attain true pro status.
    can i learn under your wing

i'll bring cookies and maybe even a sword
    • I lurked some but was never active.
    • Not really.
    • Make sense, yes. Do any good, no.
    • I kind of left it to rot as the shitpost piled up so no real memories.
    • No, and probably better if the IJBM mods became TVT mods otherwise no change. 
    • I dropped off the face of TVT, but it had nothing to do with specifically with the deletion of IJBM

• Not really.
    • No
      • Are you surprised that you are still posting on IJBM II? Why keeps you coming back?
    • No, and to see if anything exciting happens.
    • Favorite: better mods, least: all the errors.
      • How well do you believe IJBM II has captured the spirit of the original IJBM? Should it be similar or were there problems with IJBM that IJBM II has solved?
    • Fairly well. IJBM II has solved the moderation issue that plagued IJBM from what I remember. 
    • Probably.
    • New users.
  • edited 2012-01-05 00:27:36
    I'm answering the questions before reading the replies. Expect repeated statements and contrasting opinions.

On IJBM:
    Yes I was. I liked that with the thread turnover it had, it was difficult not to find a discussion about whatever topic interested me.

Since I wasn't very suprised, I guess deep inside I did think the possibility was there, though I didn't think Eddie would actually do it until he made the announcement.

I think fixing it was a completely viable alternative, although I guess it might have taken more effort that the mods (who, throughout the time I've been there, I've thought they're overburdened) would be willing to put.

The unbridled shitposting was something to behold. Also, people taking its deletion with acceptance (if also with disappointment) was a nice sight, if eerie.

Yes, it has affected TV Tropes. OTC inherited the worst aspects of IJBM1 (people with horrible views and the atmosphere surrounding serious topics, both things got even worse than they were), and none of the good ones (the more casual atmosphere to dampen them).

Since the only thing I'd expect if it were to become a subforum again is that loads of new users would flock to it, I have no idea how it'd look like or what it'd do to the site at large, so...

Although I actually tried to maintain activity on there, few of the Yack Fest topics interested me, thus I stopped checking the subforum and ended up following only certain megathreads (the Spanish thread and the Touhou Games thread, and for a while the main Touhou thread, the "Entries that made you wut" thread, the straight men thread, and the Japanese thread while it lasted).

I also stopped going to OTC and IJAM not long after the deletion.

Interestingly, I've been somewhat active there since Christmas.

On IJBM II:

I envisioned somebody starting a PHP forum, getting like 4 members and becoming desolate after a week.

For a long while I was. I stopped being surprised around the 8 months mark.

Other than it being still around, it's not surprising that I still post here, as I was obsessed with it since before its deletion.

What keeps making me coming back is the community, you weirdos are fun to hang around with.

As much as I like watching a good one, its tendency to have shitstorms is unbecoming of such a small forum.

Comparing it to IJBM I, the relative lack of activity can be disheartening at times.

• How
      has solved?
    For the first months I saw IJBM II just like I did the old one except on a smaller scale, so I guess the answer to the spirit thing is probably "yes". This is if we're talking about IJBM I not long before its deletion, as what the spirit of IJBM is had changed over time, if you ask me.

Anyhow, now that IJBM II is more like a community site the "complaint" element doesn't feel like it's there, and now topics related to TV Tropes aren't common or something almost all our users engage in, it doesn't feel like a community parallel to it (even though both elements are very clearly there).

Problems solved? Ehh, I dunno. I guess I'll choose banning certain specific posters.

IJBM II had serious moderation issues during its first months (no offense), so I guess that automatically makes the answer "no". Either way one thing I've learned here is how big the difference between moderating small and large forums is (and how the former isn't necessarily easier), so I guess that's another strike.

Now, if an appropriate moderation team had magically appeared (what with Fast Eddie being reluctant to appoint moderators), there's still the "complaining" element that Fast Eddie abhors, so I guess even given all the above, the answer is still a "probably not".

I suppose a good reason for new users to join.
    IJBM II had serious moderation issues during its first months (no offense)
    None taken. It took us awhile to figure out what the hell we were doing, and we're still learning. I'm just glad that was past tense :P
    you weirdos are fun to hang around with.

see, this is heartwarming
  • edited 2012-01-05 09:20:34
    Likes cheesecake unironically.

arguments, points, anything but your boring hateboner for everything ever, please
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    On IJBM:

Yep. I really liked the catch-all nature of the board and the fact that it always resulted in things to talk about. I was much less fond of the way it seemed to be attracting drama queens and people who would harp on the most asinine shit they could find and never let it go.  It was fun to rile up some of the more predictable posters though.

Much like Ninjaclown it's a 'hindsight is 20/20' thing. I didn't seen anything wrong with the board itself, just with a problematic aspect of the userbase. In retrospect I understand why they did it even if I think they went about it the wrong way. Honestly, I didn't know it was closing until a bunch of posts on IJBM were made about it.

Yes and no. Yes because of the moderation headaches it stopped, no because the headaches could have been prevented if moderators were more proactive those problems wouldn't have arisen in the first place. 

Mostly just shit-posting. I think the countdown was a bad idea and they should have just deleted it and explained why rather than say they were going to gas it so far ahead of time.

I do think it's done more harm than help, what with the new bloated pustule that is OTC but I think that direction had less to do with IJBM and more with its increase in popularity, the 'no negativity' aspect which resulted in the ban on 'complaint threads', and just other poor management nonsense.

No clue.