If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

When I consider joining an RP . . .

edited 2011-11-10 16:14:05 in Roleplaying
Has friends besides tanks now
. . . and I find that it's full of shitty writers/roleplayers.

Thread motivation: I was linked to a pretty well-developed, well-realized forum for a New World of Darkness RP, but when I actually read through the roleplaying subforums and character biographies, I saw lots of "teenage writer" writing (I don't know how many are actually teenagers, but the site's rules specifically said it's 18 and up); you know, tossing fancy words into sentences without regard for flow or concision, playing at high-class dialogue, being unaware of what constitutes a trite scenario, etc. Not really people I could genuinely enjoy RPing with. Again, it's a damn shame.

Comments

• Has friends besides tanks now
    How did I know you'd be the first to comment?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    dat feel

It's mostly turned me off of Internet RP, to be honest.
    Problem is, I don't know where I could find someone in real life to run a game, I'm not qualified to run games for my friends, and I don't think I could just go up to classmates and draw them in by telling them they can roleplay vampires.
  • Because I've bitched about this before?

I mean, I'm no better, don't get me wrong, but it's still annoying as all hell.
  • edited 2011-11-10 16:17:03
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I know you have. I was giving that sarcastic, non-serious sort of "called it" response. :P

But I figure you know this feel better than I do.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-11-10 16:22:54
    Yes...-.-

The worst I ever saw was the neopets forums...--shudders--

Although, what I find is that it's not the list that is the worst, it's the actual roleplaying. People with bad lists are usually bad at roleplaying (but not always), but sometimes people make great lists, and are still shit. That's almost disappointing.

Writers will talk about world building.

Heroes will strive to overcome even the largest obstacles. By themselves. With their fists. Against a gatling gun. And they will claim to succeed.

And it will always be about them.

ALWAYS.
    Do you mean trope lists? Because reliance on a trope list to define one's character seems like a fairly good indicator that they aren't a good writer.
  • No, a roleplaying list. Name, Age, personality, history, etc. etc.
    I've never seen biographical info referred to as a "list", but okay.

Those are usually fine. But if you ask someone to give their backstory through narrative . . .
  • AHR - The use of "World Building" JBM in itself, in a strange way, because in fantasy/sci fi scenarios (like most role-playing games) you are legitimately building a world. I think the problem for me is that the phrase gets thrown around a lot by people who aren't very good at actually doing it. It sometimes seems to serve as a substitute for "developing believable characters"
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-11-10 16:59:40
    No. I'm talking about the roleplays in the Writer's Block section. Where everyone has characters from there own world. 

And all they do, is go in a room, and talk about the physics of THEIR world in depth, because EVERYONE is a well educated scientist.

Or something.
    Hm. So the forum I checked out isn't actually as bad as I'd thought. I think the problem will come from just a few people.
  • That's good.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I think one issue with Writer's Block is that most see too much distinction between world building and the actual writing. One does not need a fully-developed world to begin writing within it. Have a skeletal version, and let the main story itself be the flesh. Then you can mould that skeleton so it best supports the actual story.

World building is more an end in itself when one is designing a game, whether that's a video game or for the tabletop, where the goal is not necessarily to support a particular overarching narrative, but to support a variety of interesting choices for the player.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-11-11 08:18:35
    Yeah, a lot of people love world building a bit too much...

Or maybe it just strikes me as odd, because my world building is equivalent to "They have LLAMAS AND CHICKENS."
    One of my favourite instances of world building is within the original Star Wars trilogy. There were plans, but the films themselves ended up deviating quite significantly in some instances, and those deviations often became a part of the world.

For instance, the Jedi went from almost literal magical samurai to almost extinct Taoist monastic knights, and I think the setting was better for it. 
  • Plus, it means you can tailor it to fit all your asspulls ever.
    Precisely. :D
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I always make my world suit the story and not the other way around.
  • You can change. You can.
    I just...like

use real life, mang
  • You still need to world build your real life.
    yes, but it's far easier to mirror something already done for you than creating a whole world, with its environment, feel and etc from scratch.
  • I find it harder to do real life. It means I can't fuck it at will.
    You can fuck with your characters without making shit up, though. :D
  • It's not as fun. If I want my men to wear dresses, I can just say BAM. World culture.

If I want to do it in real life...
    Make them Scottish.
  • No. I want them to be arabic, with jedi braids, russian accents, that live in the sahara desert.
    Yeah, but see, and I know this might be hard to believe and all, but...

your story doesn't necessarily benefit from that.