If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

edited 2011-11-02 21:40:03 in IJBM meta
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
Is it a good thing or not?

Discuss.

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Context-sensitive.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
  • She gets the pills from her skills, and she gets her skills from the pills.
    Uhm, what?
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Genders I'd say are a needed function.

Rigid gender roles very much not.
  • Of course Gender is a good thing. Without it, there would be no main road into Canal Winchester.

...But seriously, though, what kind of question is that?
  • Who here likes butter popcorn? I'm willing to share.

• edited 2011-11-02 21:50:55
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Hey guys. Hey guys.

Maybe instead of assuming the thread will turn into shit, we should do our best to keep it from doing so and save our condescending macros for when it does.

That said, Glenn, could you go into more detail so there's more to talk about?
  • edited 2011-11-02 21:51:21
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    There's really not much to talk about here.
  • You can change. You can.
    Maybe instead of assuming the thread will turn into shit, we should do our best to keep it from doing so and save our condescending macros for when it does.

nah. why would we

anyway, here's my contribution

This thread in a nutshell

• Broken image?

I don't...

Oh you clever man.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I see the gif just fine.
  • Clearly it's a Communist plot to drive me insane.
    Okay, now it's borked.
    Yeah, it needed to be borked first. So I had to move it. I just forgot to do it quickly. Forzare probably clicked before I moved it or something. 
    I'm just awesome like that.
    >Implying I'm a communist.

ahahahaha that's hilarious.
  • Don't you live in Colommunia?
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    The point of this thread was to mock the crazed intensity of gender discussions anyway.  That's why it's in IJBM meta, heck.

That said, I have no objections if you actually get an interesting, substantial discussion going here.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-11-02 22:09:22
    I think it's a part of us that has its benefits, but also its downfalls.

I'll just leave now. >_>
  • "The point of this thread was to mock the crazed intensity of gender discussions anyway. That's why it's in IJBM meta, heck."

Don't you live in Colommunia?

We murder communists for fun~
  • edited 2011-11-02 22:25:56
    Belief
    >Gender

Most people don't understand it, and a lot of people don't want to understand it because it makes life a little bit more complicated for them.
  • Hurhur, genderp.

Anyway, it's kinda hard to get away from its historical weight, but it's not really more useful than any generalized reference.

• IJBM: I keep reading this thread's title as "Gondor".
  • edited 2011-11-03 15:49:22
    Loser
    InsanityAddict,
    Anyway, it's kinda hard to get away from its historical weight, but it's not really more useful than any generalized reference.

I agree with both parts of that comment. I think it is naive to believe that one can simply try to abolish gender norms and then expect them to dissolve shortly thereafter. At worst, I feel like that can lead to confusing large-scale social engineering programs that focus too much on going against traditional gender roles in lieu of giving people the freedoms and opportunities to choose.

As for the second part of what you said, I agree that gender is not really that useful in the sense that it is just based on generalizations. Short of certain duties like pregnancy and traits related to biology such as differences in physical attributes, I feel like gender roles tend to be unfairly restrictive and somewhat arbitrary. I mean, I cannot really think of any good reasons why men wearing dresses is objectionable or why women should not be considered equal members of a household.

I also think that masculinity and femininity are too often considered wholly separate and hostile to one another and that they should not be solely or even mostly locked onto being a man or being a woman. I feel like certain very positive emotions and ideas are neglected as people cast them off as being incompatible with "manliness" or "womanliness." That being said, if people believe they are more masculine than feminine or vice-versa, I am not one to say they are wrong either.
  • edited 2011-11-04 11:33:17
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > I also think that masculinity and femininity are too often considered
    wholly separate and hostile to one another and that they should not be
    solely or even mostly locked onto being a man or being a woman.

This.

Have I mentioned how much I hate "guys versus girls" arrangements in party games?

Oh, and fun fact: When I was a kid, I wondered why all these classical composers were male but they wrote such pretty, lyrical music.
  • I hate "guys versus girls" arrangements in anything, but I imagine that's mostly because I get grouped in with the wrong group.
  • edited 2011-11-04 15:01:23
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    I don't mind the guys vs girls stuff.
    Most of the time it has been with drinking games or something alcohol related, so it is basically just banter and stuff that gradually over time diminishes as everyone gets drunk.

EDIT:
    If it were actually taken seriously and was very competitive I'd dislike it though.