If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Dark Souls: Siegfried stops writing a journal like some bitchy teenager, the game is discussed.

edited 2012-03-13 16:17:20 in Media
One foot in front of the other, every day.

Herein reads the exploits of one Sir Siegfried of Boletaria.

Today, or yesterday, or some time long ago, I died and was cursed with the Mark.  How I died is lost to me, and all I have left is my armour. Death feels hollow, but I can still move my body and feel the pangs of hunger. I no longer hunger for food or thirst for drink, however. This hunger is for something else, some essence of life now beyond my grasp. I remember having this, once upon a time, but not its sensation or feeling. All I know is that I must feed.

I write this entry from a small camp fire within the ruins of some ancient fortification. Undead prowl the battlements and courtyards, but they are not like me. Or rather, I am not yet like them. Perhaps, if I do not feed, I shall become like them? I must feed. But first, I shall collect my memories and explain my presence here.

My first feeling upon undeath was nothing. The decrepit, frigid stone cell I was in should have chilled me deep, but I found myself unagitated, although not in comfort. All of a sudden, a corpse was thrown in front of me from above, and I looked up. A knight stood above the cell, peering at me through his steel visor. He felt like a friend. It was good to see another of my kind. Searching the corpse for the meaning of this, I found a key which opened my cell. A friend indeed. The hallway outside was littered with the dead that had lost their minds. I slew them, and felt a little less hungry.

I passed through many stone hallways and rooms before finding myself in a courtyard. In the centre, there was an ebony sword affixed to a stone. I reached out to draw it. It burst into fire, and my flesh seemed to become seared. But I was uninjured, and for a little while, I didn't feel hungry.

Immediately beyond the courtyard was a large door leading into the main keep. Scraping, thumbing sounds resounded within, but I found nothing inside. I headed towards the far side door, but a daemon descended from the sky to do battle. It was the size of a small house, and bore a mace that could crack a castle wall. Being unarmed, I was forced to flee into a side hall and back into a dungeon complex. There, I slew many more of the mindless dead and found for myself some armaments. I still have them, although the sword is too short-bladed and unfit for thrusting. It is uncomfortable in my hand. I shall require a better sword.

Passing through more hallways, I stumbled upon the knight who had helped me previously. Undeath was taking its final toll on him, and he passed some gifts to me. In his last sane moment, he skewered himself upon his own sword, locking him to the rubble he was resting upon. Even in undeath and insanity, he shall be not threat to anyone now.

Eventually, I found myself atop a rear entrance to the main keep. The daemon was below, waiting for me. It did not expect me to reverse the fortunes; I leapt from my elevated position and drove my sword into its head, spilling gallons of vile blood. Pulling with brutality, I ripped my sword from its skull, but still it refused to die. Even in its weakened state, the daemon fought me to within an inch of my unlife. I cut its legs and it crumpled, and I could finally finish the beast. It is now dead, and facing God's punishment.

I walked out of the keep by the largest door and found myself at the end of a rocky outcrop. Flapping wings were my only warning as an enormous raven claimed me, and I thought I was dead. Writing this now, I laugh.

It dropped me on a rocky platform some distance away. There are people there, and they are friendly, even though I am dead. They gave me clues about my hunger. I might be able to reverse the Mark, although that requires the slaying of many daemons. Now I sit within the fortifications above the platform, surrounded by the dead who have lost their minds.

I will not lose my mind, but I must feed.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Quite interesting so far, though I imagine you're much farther through the game than that by now (I've just defeated the Gargoyles, myself). I'll be following this.

Though I have to comment that the term "daemon" refers specifically to benevolent supernatural beings, so that doesn't really fit with the beings you're talking about.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Siegfried doesn't believe that. He's a knight thrust into a foreign land under trying circumstances.

The eternal handwave. <_<

At the moment, Siegfried has just defeated the Taurus Daemon. I insist on the spelling.
    Well, fine, then :P

Did you beat it through the normal means or the exploit, and did it drop the axe?

I wanted the axe, but the thing dived off the bridge like a lemming in a Disney documentary at the first opportunity.
    xD

Normal means. No axe. Not a big issue, since sword and board is the go for this game. What "normal means" refers to will have to wait until the next update, however.
    I see.

Does that mean you're not going to use a bow? If so...best of luck on the Gargoyles; you pretty much need the Drake Blade, which is almost unobtainable without a bow, to stand a chance against them.
    It really depends. I'll use whatever my build can handle, although that's currently in its infancy. Right now, I've been loading up on vitality. Shortly I'll be sinking a fair amount of souls into endurance and faith. My ultimate goal is to acquire divine weapons and use my faith stat to both provide me with good support and high close combat damage.

So I'll probably have one hell of a tough time some encounters, yes. <_<
    Huh...

Yeah, you're pretty much fucked against the next boss.

The thing about it is that at any given moment in the latter half of the battle, you're either perfectly fine, or dead. Estus isn't very useful. The only way to survive is to get it dead fast.
    Depends how much strength and dexterity I need for the bow. Ideally, I'd get a simple kind of bow that wouldn't require strong stat investment so I can keep myself optimised for close combat.
  • edited 2011-10-06 00:58:08
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    You can get a cheap but effective one from the vendor outside the bonfire before the Taurus D(a)emon.

And the bow isn't for the boss (that would be really ineffective, given that it moves fast and has good range). It's to get a weapon suited for the boss. For that weapon, you need Str 16 and Dex 10.
    Hmm. Dex, check, Str, I'll probably end up needing that much.

Of course, I could pull a Monster Hunter and go through gear changes. Fatrolling's a bitch.
  • edited 2011-10-06 01:01:23
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Monster Hunter...funny you should mention that, as the sword you need is the Red Dragon's tail. You have to shoot it off. Hence the need for a bow, though it's theoretically possible with a sword and a lack of respect for your own well-being.
    I knew the Demon's Souls guys loved Monster Hunter! :D
    I still haven't actually played Monster Hunter, but it's on my (increasingly long) list.

And yeah, that seems to be the rule for anything big with a prehensile tail. Including the next boss.
    I write now from the same camp.

Throughout my journey higher into this fortification, I have been slain many times only to rise again. Once upon a time, I would've given my father's land to become such an eternal warrior. No longer. All I want is to feed, and I am hungry every time I fall. The undead that prowl the fortress seem just as eternal as myself, rising again after some time. It matters not; I cut them down in their dozens.

A queer merchant sold me some smithing supplies. At least I no longer have to worry about the condition of my equipment. How he avoids the voracious hunger of the corpses that stalk here exceeds my understanding.

At the top of the battlements I encountered a gigantic minotaur. It slew me time and time again. I cut it with my sword, burned it with fire and other things besides, but I could not defeat it. Finally, in one engagement, I swallowed my honour and fled to the top of a tower. It howled at me from below. I remembered my fight with the prison daemon, and in a moment of courage and daring, threw myself off the tower, sword pointing downward. Its skull shattered. Now I have slain two powerful monsters, so perhaps God will smile upon me?

Further along, on a battlement balcony. I met another knight. My heart was a little warmed. He didn't make much sense, but he was very cheerful. He spoke about time and fragments and other things, and gave me a gift of soapstone, like a beacon for aid. I will keep it, but only out of sentimentality, a reminder of my allies across the land.

Going opposite, I began to cross a bridge and was promptly roasted by a dragon. It didn't irk me too harshly; I am now enjoying some well-earned beef. I cannot taste it, nor does it satiate my hunger, but that's not the point.
    Yeah, pretty standard Taurus battle, though I'm kinda surprised you managed to fight it more than once without it suiciding.
    My brother tried to get it to suicide, but he couldn't. -shrugs-

Kinda funny how for some people it just sort of self-terminates immediately.
    -sigh-

Guess I just had bad luck. Or good luck, depending on how you look at it :P
    Depends on how much you like falling on top of large bovines, essentially. I could take it or leave it.
    I just felt kinda cheap winning that way. I mean, I'm fine doing exploits, but this just boils down to "sometimes you don't have to fight it at all."
    A very cinematic victory, if you invoke it.

But then again, so it head-stomping it.

I can how it would be very annoying if it was just random dumb luck, though.
    Now, the Gargoyle, there's a boss I felt proud after defeating.
  • edited 2011-10-06 03:24:33
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Buh, I keep dying. Damned distant bonfires. At the moment, my current experience is "make a mad grab for your previous souls to avoid wasting 5000+ of 'em".
    What bonfire are you at and what are you trying to do?
    IT'S A SIKRIT FOR LIEVBLURG

No matter, since I resolved the situation anyway. <_<
    Ah, okay.
    The last stage of my journey has been difficult to recount. Sometimes, events blur together. Written here is the best I could do.

No-one in my homeland of Boletaria would believe the things I have seen, witnessed and slain this day, even after the daemonic blight that infested our lands. My sword has killed a monstrous daemon, a minotaur, a boar clad in plate and a giant of a knight. The undead in this place are countless, but I cut down as many as obstruct my path. Some were pathetic wretches; others must've been mighty knights in their lifetims.

On a more cheerful note, I found some more suitable swords. The one I found near my holding cell was too short and too tapered. These were lucky finds, taken from the hands of undead warriors. I suspect they were somewhat fresh, as rust hasn't had time to properly set into these weapons. Even more happily, I have found a blacksmith. He has refined one of them for me, and it is now the pride of my armoury.

I did find a more perculiar sword yet, however. Avoiding the bridge dragon's flames, I found myself under the very place I was roasted to begin with. Using a bow --ancestors forgive me for my unknightly conduct-- I peppered it with arrows. A blade of its tail dropped out, loosened by wounds, and it makes a suitable weapon. It requires much upkeep, however, although it seems to summon a sort of force when swung with strength. I do not enjoy the balance.

Towards the top of the fortifications, I found myself outside a church, defiled by the undead. There, I fought many knights, including a giant. There also I slew some kind of wizard, and went on my way.

And I almost forgot! I found a cure for the hunger. These ebony swords that are scattered seem to have that power. With much meditation and focus, I banished the hunger and was free of the Mark - or so I thought. All the same, it is nice to know that there is some respite.

Towards the top of the church, I found a cell. Within that cell was a knight clad in golden armour. By chance, it seems, I had picked up the key, so I freed him. That is now three of my own number I've met on this otherwise desolate journey. I'm glad to know of good men out there fighting the same battles as I.

Reaching the top of the church itself, the trinket the first, jovial knight had given me burst into light. He stood before me and motioned towards an opening to the roof. We stood out there, and a gargoyle descended from the sky, stone wings beating against every law of God and nature. We fought it hard, but it summoned its kin and even the dragon's tail blade was no use to me. I was slain, and have no good guess as to what befell my companion. Now I am at camp once more, and the curse has returned.

I must feed. 
    It requires much upkeep, however, although it seems to summon a sort of force when swung with strength
    It actually has fairly decent durability under normal conditions, but power-attacking while two-handing it takes off something like 10% of its durability.
    Towards the top of the church, I found a cell. Within that cell was a knight clad in golden armour. By chance, it seems, I had picked up the key, so I freed him.
    Wait, wut? I must have missed that.
    In the room where the Lich was with all the dreglings, there's hallway diagonally opposite to the room that takes you to the gargoyle fight. An undead knight is defending the pathway, but you'll find the golden knight behind a breakable door and up some stairs. There's also a humanity pickup at the end of a circular turn on that pathway.
    Whoa, I missed that. Good thing my save's at that bonfire.

I'll do that when my roommate finishes this dungeon in Wind Waker.
    The breakable door is waaay back at the end of the interior pathway, though. There are no sidepaths, so just look for a battered door with light peeking through.