If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Now on its own site in a more readable format - Infinite Tree

edited 2011-09-24 16:18:45 in Roleplaying
OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
Infinite tree has moved to its own forum.

Comments

• No rainbow star
    I'm not entirely sure how it differs, but I'll join in :D

...Wait, is it that is differs because we don't decide the personality, so we are a bit more limited instead of being able to make wildly different choices if we choose to?
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    That's a valid statement...but not what I was talking about.
  • edited 2011-09-05 00:26:53
    You can change. You can.
    I'm fairly sure it's a Borges story?

Anyway, I'm interested. I know I'm not supposed to do anything but to input actions, but there you go.

Also, I think it differs based on the fact that we are not in total control of the story like online text adventures, but we're not in complete lack of control of the story as in normal text adventures.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I will join and also I have no idea what the story is.
  • edited 2011-09-05 00:28:16
    I'm fairly sure it's a Borges story?
    :D 

I honestly had no idea if anyone was going to get that.
  • You can change. You can.
    Dude, I'm Latin. I'm supposed to know every Borges story ever. xP
    Heh.

But your last paragraph is wrong, FYI.
    Oh.

But now that I know it's Borges story about that book that explained quantum physics, then I think I know what your intention is.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I think it's more like we'd be detailing his in-character actions, but the story plays out around it, and his personality and thoughts and stuff are controlled by INUH.
  • edited 2011-09-05 00:31:13
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ I don't
  • edited 2011-09-05 00:32:04
    ^^^Getting warm.

^^Another valid statement that's unrelated to what I meant.

The story is The Garden of Forking Paths, for those still curious.
    Welp, basically, Borges' story is about a book in written during WW (1 or 2? Can't remember) where the story was chosen by the reader based on whatever decision he made. Every single decision made at least two possible roads. These were considered alternate universes. 

Admittedly, I read this quite a while ago, so I am not sure if I'm right or wrong.

Reading INUH's link, I just realized finally where he's going.

I'm excited now. ^_^
  • edited 2011-09-05 00:40:26
    Has friends besides tanks now
    The whole "post actions, but they're only considered if they make sense" thing reminds me of how my visual novel was gonna work, in that the character wasn't nearly as much of a blank slate as most eroge protagonists.

Probably not in, though. I'll see.
  • edited 2011-09-05 00:37:40
    ^^Wanna go ahead and tell them, then?

I've gotta admit, this is a bit...ambitious, but I hope I can pull it off.
  • edited 2011-09-05 00:37:54
    No rainbow star
    ^^^ Can you explain?

Also, DAMMIT! NINJA'D!
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Reading the link made me excited in a vague "I don't get it but I think it will be cool" way.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    I'd read it more closely, but I'm tired and I'm supposed to be doing a double-entry reading log of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest right now.
    Not sure I'm right, but my theory is that you're going for an hypertext story. In other words, a story that can be read in multiple different ways and be told in multiple different ways, with various different alternate universes folding and unfolding to our beck and call as we issue commands and something something i was going for something hammier than this but i decided against it.
  • edited 2011-09-05 00:45:11
    Exactly.

Note that I said you'd be allowed to provide a followup action to a segment. I didn't say you had to pick the most recent one.

For those interested, here's the full English-translated text of The Garden of Forking Paths.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Sounds like a cross between serial fiction, choose your own adventure, and American Idol. I'm intrigued.
    ^ What he said.
    It is. But that's because those things took Borges original context and played with it as they saw fit.
  • No rainbow star
    Oh dear lord this will be awesome

I will keep choosing all of the ignored paths! :D
    I just finished writing the first segment and am editing into the first post for future convenience.

My writing as of right now isn't all that great. Improving it by forcing me to do lots of writing is part of the point of this exercise.
  • No rainbow star
    Go on the boat. He already got rid of your phone
  • edited 2011-09-05 01:32:16
    You can change. You can.
    Erm, INUH, your post doesn't show. I see the button and I press it and all I get is a date.

ETA: It works if you enter the thread. If you press it, it goes to shit.
  • edited 2011-09-05 01:34:17
    Reposting the original OP here because leaving it there broke stuff.

After reading a certain seventy-year-old short story in my Introduction to Computational Media class, I've been thinking quite a bit about the potential of internet forums in terms of telling a sort of story that can't really be told in other media. As such, I'm checking if anyone would be interested in participating in this. Here's how it would work.

Aiming for once a day, I'm going to post a segment of the story. In the period following that, posters will propose an action for the main character to take following a segment. Only actions that make sense given the character's personality and events up to that segment will be considered. The story won't have an end, but I'll stop telling it when nothing noteworthy remains to tell.

You probably think that sounds like a standard text adventure. If you do, you weren't reading carefully, and I'd recommend that you reread the previous paragraph. If none of you figure it out, that's not too big a deal, and the story can proceed for the moment anyway.

Anyway, I'm working on writing up the first segment, so for the moment I'd like to see who's interested and who noticed how it differs from a standard text adventure (and going off of that, I'd be impressed if you can identify the short story that inspired this.)
    Looking fixed now?
  • edited 2011-09-05 01:35:20
    You can change. You can.
    Yup.

> Ask what's gonna happen to him

> Then ask what's gonna happen to the crewmembers of the Yggdrasil if he refuses.