If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Pseudopsychology

edited 2011-08-30 01:05:05 in Philosophy
☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
Where you define, predict or diagnose behaviors of other people you meet or hear about based on what "seems to make sense", regardless of any actual research put ahead. They are usually worded in the same way as most "Well Logically..." statements, where the word logically is inserted into a theory to make it sound accurate.

I've been called out for this shit before, and I tend to see it a few times on here (IJBM), and in shit-heavy amounts in OTC (when it comes to diagnosing insane people, or defining the behaviors of people with post traumatic stress disorder) and the insecurities threads.

The reason it comes to mind is because a very creepy fuck from my past began applying this to me in meatspace, stating that "ignoring me and changing your information to hide from me is what I was planning on seeing you do anyway, since everything you do in reaction to me is exactly what I want you to do. I have control over your fear, and with that, I have complete control over you" and "I tried pity stories on you, etc, because such was the manner of my manipulation on *you* at the time, because I seeked affection more than your well-being. Your aim was to please me before you even know what was happening."

Which leads me to another thing that I can't quite google out.

What do you call it when people assume they are manipulating you by predicting common actions made by a person and then taking credit for it to make themselves feel like they have a major influence over actions you commit?

Comments

• You can change. You can.
    What do you call it when people assume they are manipulating you by predicting common actions made by a person and then taking credit for it to make themselves feel like they have a major influence over actions you commit?

Bluffing. Bullshitting.
  • Interesting. How does that make you feel?

Being serious here, I don't know if there's a word for that, but it sounds like a tactic that's pretty similar to what alleged psychics use.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    I ignored him and blocked communication from him, also made a new email address and deleted my Facebook. He was right, that I gave him too much of my personal information and sent him too many things he didn't deserve, but to think he was trying to take credit for everything I was doing as my own actions, and then belittling me for ignore listing him and trying hide from him by stating that I am giving into fear and doing exactly what he wants, and being a coward for not facing my problems and hiding from them.

I mean like, it's like the whole "If you know I exist I have already won" logic I go behind when dealing with people who dislike me, he applies a similar thing to me and it bugs me a bit.
  • > What do you call it when people assume they are manipulating you by
    predicting common actions made by a person and then taking credit for it
    to make themselves feel like they have a major influence over actions
    you commit?

I call that being a desperate, stupid fucking jackass and were it in my power I'd give him a few choice words for harassing our Vorpy like this. D:< What an absolute cockmuffin. I hate people like that and I hope he leaves you the fuck alone soon.

Even if all I can do is type angrily in his general direction. :<
    I mean like, it's like the whole "If you know I exist I have already won" logic I go behind when dealing with people who dislike me, he applies a similar thing to me and it bugs me a bit.

Karma is a bitch, isn't it?
    Except I never even had that way of thinking until he applied that to me. Then once the whole "I am never going to go away because you are afraid of dealing with me" shit went on, I just kind of started doing that indirectly.

I mean, how do you guys deal with people who just assume shit like that or make you feel like you are being manipulated into doing things?

It's okay Waltzy. :3
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I mean, how do you guys deal with people who just assume shit like that or make you feel like you are being manipulated into doing things? 

I don't think many people are manipulated into feeling like they've been manipulated.
    Well, make you feel like they are responsible for the actions you are doing, or falling in the "That's exactly what I wanted you to do" shit. Nah, bugger that. This can all be remedied by simply going "No, you are not controlling what I am doing." He probably just has a Light Yagami complex or whatever going on.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Well, make you feel like they are responsible for the actions you are doing, or falling in the "That's exactly what I wanted you to do" shit.

I think most people experience the opposite.
  • Yeah, usually it's the opposite, but on a rare occasion I'll see the kind of jerk Vorpy's talking about.

Whenever that happened, I just beat them at their own game. If they think they're such hot shit that they think they've got everything planned, and they're that sensitive to tiny everyday things, subject them to sensory overload and fuck with them until they're worn out.

I don't know what it is about these kinds of people that bring out the vindictive bitch in me but if they play games I will play hardball and screw their minds if that's what it takes to punt them off their ego tripping bullshit.
    Vorpy: Just ignore his shit, really. the moment you're letting it get to you and act on it, he's getting what he wants out of you.
  • Most manipulator aren't gonna say they're manipulating you.

unless they really aren't and are just trying to get you scared
  • But if you do let it get to you, don't feel guilty about it or anything.

And if you do, don't feel bad about it..?
    Thanks for the help. I think I will clear it from my mind and focus on the other subject I wrote.

It came to me when people were talking about the whole "Well if she is cheating on her boyfriend with you, she is most likely going to cheat on you too if you go out with her", when I haven't seen anything that actually does prove this, but it was just "a logical situation that would happen". I haven't seen any worthwhile studies that proves that cheaters will continue to cheat.
    Yeah, I think that people forget that cheating is a very situationall thing. Not everyone cheats just cuz. Normally, they're in some way unsastified with their relationship.

Or the girl is too hot to let her go. But that still falls under situational.
  • Well at the very least, there is evidence that they won't refuse the opportunity to cheat in every situation, but considering the way people can be, that might not be saying much.

Depends on the situation, but I think it's fair to generalize here and say people who have cheated are generally more likely to cheat later.
    Well, that's true, I guess. But all I'm saying is that it's not such a black and white matter where someone who cheats once is someone who always will cheat.
  • > Yeah, I think that people forget that cheating is a very situationall
    thing. Not everyone cheats just cuz. Normally, they're in some way
    unsastified with their relationship.

This was how it was for me. Technically I cheated on my boyfriend, and I can't say I'm particularly proud of it. There were a number of things wrong with the relationship though.

The only thing I was proud of was that I sorted my shit out and decided what I wanted to do, and broke up with him so I wasn't stringing him along any longer, because I knew I didn't and couldn't love him. Then when I confessed to the person I really loved, I told her straight up that while I was falling in love with her I had been in a relationship with a guy, but that I knew where my heart was, and she took it really, really well. We've been together for about three and a half years now and I haven't felt even the faintest of urges to be with anyone but her.
  • edited 2011-08-30 03:02:50
    ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    hmmm, I am not sure if it was a generalization that was made that irked me about that situation or the prediction of the motives and behaviors of a "regular cheater" which doesn't occur in every cheater that made me think pseudopsychology was occurring.

That, and making a faux medical/behaviorial analysis on people with aspergers playing Minecraft or making a fanservice girl pokedex and explaining their behaviors with vague common stereotyping that isn't cited anywhere that can be referenced, and just going "well X happens, so logically they are Y because X is Z".
  • Psychological profiling, it's a thing ^_^.

So, on that logical fact, generalizing a behavior is simply a law of averages between observable people.
    hmmm, I am not sure if it was a generalization that was made that irked me about that situation or the prediction of the motives and behaviors of a "regular cheater" which doesn't occur in every cheater that made me think pseudopsychology was occurring.

...the two sentences represent generalizations.
  • @The OP.

Collectable data is offered way too much around the forums,

But is the data good, or tainted?
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Well I can't speak for others but I act rather differently online than in the real world so I don't think you psycho-analyze someone, armchair or otherwise, from shit posts.