If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I can't hate tropers

edited 2011-04-21 23:33:43 in Webspace
With all these Complain About Tropers You Don't Like threads showing up, I think I overstimate their good attributes and understimate their bad ones.

Comments

• Not hating anyone doesn't strike me as something bad.
  • Wat?

So you don't like their complaining?
  • But still, it's worth recognising attributes in people you think should be critisised.
  • edited 2011-03-18 14:12:17
    Hate is too strong a word for people on the internet.
  • Heh, this one has the same "problem" (if it can be called problem". this one is quite judgemental in real life, but thing is...she feels more kinship with tropers than with most other groups.
  • What Noimporta said.

Also, isn't this a good thing?
  • As I said, not exactly.
  • Point taken. Still, one can notice one's negative aspects and still not hate / dislike them.

OP: Are you saying you believe the good usually outweighs the bad, or do you ignore their bad points entirely?
  • Point taken. Still, one can notice one's negative aspects and still not hate / dislike them.
    Certainly, but some would consider the ability to feel moral disgust at certain opinions a good thing. From that perspective, not hating someone who holds "unacceptable" views could be considered as "bad" or, more accurately, lacking of some attributes one'd consider good.
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-03-18 16:54:13
    It all depends on the opinion and how "unacceptable" it is. If it's something minor like complaining a lot or being really immature, that's forgivable. If it's something like thinking everyone belonging to a specific group should be burned alive or advocating child abuse, then it'd be pretty reasonable to hate them, or at the very least, want nothing to do with them.
  • OP: Are you saying you believe the good usually outweighs the bad, or do you ignore their bad points entirely?

Both, I think. Ignore some bad aspects and feel the others are overshadowed by the good.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Hate is overkill, a mild disgust is much more than enough,

• "With all these Complain About Tropers You Don't Like threads
    showing up, I think I overstimate their good attributes and understimate
    their bad ones. ... Ignore some bad aspects and feel the others are overshadowed

Wait, why does this bug you? If anything, it seems like it would make things more enjoyable.

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Stormtroper does not see the unirony of that 2nd statement.
  • It's okay. With the exception of Tongpu, hate is too strong a negative emotion to feel for the people on Tvtropes.
  • @Bob: Oh, certainly, hating someone for being dumb/mildly obnoxious on the internet is certainly out of the question.
  • edited 2011-03-18 17:35:39
    [tɕagɛn]
    ^^ I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks that Tongpu either sounds like a serial killer/rapist or a teenager trying to be edgy and failing horribly.
  • It's okay. With the exception of Tongpu, hate is too strong a negative emotion to feel for the people on Tvtropes.

You two would make a great sitcom.
  • Only if Charlie Sheen played Tongpu.
  • Chagen: Pretty much everyone feels that way about him.

Noimporta: "Oh, certainly, hating someone for being dumb/mildly obnoxious on the internet is certainly out of the question."

Hate might be too strong a word for a situation like that. Besides, everyone has different opinions on what constitutes being dumb / obnoxious.
  • Now I'm imagining Charlie Sheen in blackface.

It's so wrong that I can't even find it funny.
  • Wait, why does this bug you? If anything, it seems like it would make things more enjoyable.

It's more enjoyable, but it means if I try hard and think of reasons to like/dislike somebody and by all means I should dislike said person, there's some dissonance between how I should feel and what actually feel.

That, and it just plain feels wrong.
  • Hate might be too strong a word for a situation like that.

That's what I'm saying, see my first post.

Only if Charlie Sheen played Tongpu.
    Take my money.
  • So, you weren't implying that it's cool to hate someone for being annoying?

Crap, now I'm confused.

/totaldumbass
  • I can't hate tropers that don't irritate me.

More seriously, the only people on TVTropes that I truly "hate" are those DAMN persistent and crappy trolls. There are a bunch of people that annoy me from time to time, but I wouldn't put it to "hate" level.

• The only persistent troll I can think of is killa blaze friction wing eyes, or whatever.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    I think I've never seen a Tongpu post.
    CYBER STALKING GO!!!!!
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Don't generalize. I am indifferent to Tongpu.
  • He had a cool avatar once.