If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General U.S. politics thread

1848586878890»

Comments

• I thought that was a global thing.
    We do that here too, and for undergrads too. it's pretty much how you imagine from TV, minus the part where everybody throws their graduation cap up in the air at the end.
    It's very solemn. I wanted to go to mine but due to happenings I opted out (it's optional) so as to ensure the graduation itself would go smoothly. In hindsight I should've went, though I did go to the rehearsal and it was nice.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Sometimes, when some stupid shizzle happens in the US, I feel compelled to go to the usual crazy survivalist website and see what's their spin on it. They have not failed to deliver: when a bunch of neo-Nazis and other far-right louts gets together to do something obviously criminal, like wreck a gay parade, just assume they're FBI plants and get done with it. Not only it's not your fault, it's the fault of teh ebul leftie commie pinko hippies in Washington who want to rob you of your God-given right to bear AR-fifteens! See? It's so simple!
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    lol

speaking of abortion rights, I recently ran across this

https://jezebel.com/interview-with-a-woman-who-recently-had-an-abortion-at-1781972395

Warning: emotionally heavy stuff.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    By the way, I've been meaning to ask you Glenn. On a scale of 1 to 10, how likely do you see a full-blown armed insurrection and/or an active attempt at instigating a civil war happen in the United States, within the next 20 years? I mean something obviously heavier than a bunch of louts trashing the White House or the usual bunch of crazy survivalists in a national forest. I keep reading pessimistic stuff, though it may just be an impression falsely caused by... uh, me reading pessimistic stuff, I guess.

In other news, Turkey agreed to let Finns and Swedes into the NATO. Gonna be a new spike in geopolitical memes.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I know there are some people who pride themselves on prepping for crazy scenarios, though I can't say whether a civil war is gonna happen. Like, the way political stuff happens these days is kinda like a political "war", complete with "territory control" maps of "red" vs. "blue" states/areas, but it's not organized in a way that broad-scale territory-taking works in an actual military war.

If some nutcases want to start shit, who knows what's gonna happen.
    Well, that's a relief, I guess? I'm gonna go with relief.
    Well, on the topic of books vs. no books, I always stand for books.

While I'm at it, the Internet Archive is like even better as a repository of old magazines. At least books you have a gut instinct to keep, papers not really.