If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The way people complain about nerds

edited 2011-05-18 18:25:05 in General

For one thing, nobody's forcing you to read the stuff nerds say. You're bringing this frustration on yourself.

For another thing, you talk all the time about nerds being oversensitive and whiny, but the more you complain about it, the more your complaints start to sound exactly like the whiny bullshit you describe. There comes a point where I can't tell the difference between a guy posting "FINAL FANTASY X SUKKS BAWWWW" because he means it, and the guy posting "FINAL FANTASY X SUKKS BAWWWW" in order to mock him.

Comments

• edited 2011-05-18 18:32:30
    No!

The "nobody's forcing you" arguament is both obvious and it stinks as an arguament. I don't have to pay attention to the internet's horrors but it doesn't mean they won't still bother me with their existence.

Just wanted to get that out of the way.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Don't Like Don't Read.
  • but then where will we get our Hate Dumb?
    from TV Tropes.
  • You can change. You can.
    couldn't agree more with Don Zabu. Except for the part about don't like don't read. It's silly and idiotic to argue that you can't hate something just because it doesn't affect you directly.
  • Yeah if thet were the case I would be unjustified in hating the PATRIOT Act.
  • Weren't you JUST complaining about nerds in the TGWTG thread, juan?
  • You can change. You can.

>_>

<_<

Maybe.
    yes u were boiiii
  • Quit being a whiny bitch and man up.
    Goddamn nerds.

• Could someone explain to me what the word "nerd" means? I feel like I hear it a lot here and on TV Tropes, but I still do not really understand what makes someone a "nerd" or whether people are supposed to self-label as "nerds" or whatever. Are you automatically a nerd if you play video games or watch anime? Is calling someone a nerd just another way of saying you do not like them or is it a neutral term?

I apologize for asking so many questions about this, but for some reason I never really learned this stuff. I always thought that "nerd" was a pejorative that people used to describe those with certain personality traits and interests so I found it strange when people used it differently here and on TV Tropes.
  • ITT: Nerds as an homogeneous group.
  • Glaives are better.
    A nerd is someone who spends way too much time and money on imaginary things. Bonus points if they're overweight (or, more rarely, underweight) and have poor hygiene.
  • So clergrymen, then?
  • a nerd is someone who usually obsesses over a hobby that is not considered culturally normal to iobsess over (like obsessing over the fine art of knot tying instead of say football)
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^ This.

You can't be a nerd if you obsess of football/sports/cars but if your hobbies are considered abnormal culturally then you are a nerd.
  • and it's spelled nird!
  • Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    Well Louie, I'm trying to narrow that down, but I suppose in this context people are using nerd to mean geek to mean people who have large interests in media, usually to the level of a collector or hobbyist and usually involving a lot of speculative fiction, oh dash it all, just read here and the follow up.
  • edited 2011-05-19 13:16:57
    Loser
    Noimporta,
    ITT: Nerds as an homogeneous group.

Yeah, the idea of "nerd culture" confused me and was part of the reason why I asked what nerd meant. I rarely see anything unified when I look at what one may associate with being a nerd.

Hatter,
    A nerd is someone who spends way too much time and money on imaginary
    things. Bonus points if they're overweight (or, more rarely,
    underweight) and have poor hygiene.

Do you think you could clarify what you mean by imaginary things? I tend to not think that video games are imaginary for example, but I suppose many people associate them with nerds. If I am understanding you correctly, your view of nerds is rather negative, right?

IanExMachina,
    You can't be a nerd if you obsess of
    football/sports/cars but if your hobbies are considered abnormal
    culturally then you are a nerd.

Alright, I think that makes some sense. Do you think you could you still be classified as a nerd if you like watching sports, play a sport, and like stuff like anime and video games?

Anyway, thanks to those who helped answer my question, I appreciate it.

MousaThe14, I will try to read that a little later and get back to you on it.
  • There was an episode of The Big Picture about exactly this.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    @LouieW
    Alright, I think that makes some sense. Do you think you could you still be classified as a nerd if you like watching sports, play a sport, and like stuff like anime and video games? 

Depends, I feel that you'd be 'considered' normal with nerdy habits. However it would also depend on your group of peers.
  • Alright, I take back my "nobody's forcing you to" point, but I still stand by my second point.
    A nerd is somebody who can't excel in physical activities.
  • edited 2011-05-20 15:59:04
    Loser
    MousaThe14,

Well Louie, I'm trying to narrow that
    down, but I suppose in this context people are using nerd to mean geek
    to mean people who have large interests in media, usually to the level
    of a collector or hobbyist and usually involving a lot of speculative
    fiction, oh dash it all, just read here and the follow up.

I think the definition you use for nerd that is associated with being intelligent matches up with the pejorative use of the word I mentioned earlier and I do think your discussion there is somewhat interesting. I wonder about the part of your definition that says that "f it is an academic field with real life applications or at least has a
    real field of study and you are intellectually vested in it, you are a
    nerd." Does that make all professors, graduate students, and people who actually enjoy learning nerds?

Also, if someone is not particularly bright, is it possible for him or her to be a nerd/geek? Similarly, if someone is not so good at games, but really like playing them, can he or she be a nerd/geek? Sorry for asking so many questions.

IanExMachina,

Depends, I feel that you'd be 'considered' normal with nerdy habits. However it would also depend on your group of peers.

I guess that makes sense. Personally, I think that just shows that trying to group people as nerds is pretty silly. I mean, if liking "non-nerd" things and "nerd" things are not mutually exclusive, I see no real need for that term. That being said, perhaps people are really referring to social awkwardness and the like when they say word like nerd. I suppose that makes it more an identifier of personality traits than anything else.

Vorpy,

A nerd is somebody who can't excel in physical activities.

I am interested in hearing what you mean by "excel" there. If for example, someone is physically active, but is not very good at say playing soccer, basketball, or football, is he or she still a nerd?

• Quit being a whiny bitch and man up.
    ^Depends...do they like nerdy things?
  • Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    Also, if someone is not particularly bright, is it possible for he or she to be a nerd/geek? Similarly, if someone is not so good at games, but really like playing them, can he or she be a nerd/geek? Sorry for asking so many questions.

1) Stop apologizing all the 2) Questions are good, I like questions, questions are why I wrote those things in the first place.

That's the question I ask in my follow up because I realized that if Geek meant basically a super dedicated hobbyist and Nerd meant smart people who usually sacrifice social skills to be brilliant, where does that leave everyone else? My big question in Revisiting the Geek Definition is essentially that there technically isn't a defined term for those that may simply enjoy video games but aren't video game geeks and same for all of those other interests I mentioned previously defined as Geeky. basically, Geeky isn't the interest, but the manner in which you are involved in the interest regardless of it's stature as mainstream or not. 

In short, there is something there that heavily overlaps with the nerd and geek definitions that would probably describe many in Tvtropes or con goers or self proclaimed geeks/nerds, however we don't have a word for them yet. I don't think I was clear. Was I clear?

Does that make all professors, graduate students, and people who actually enjoy learning nerds?

Ooh, that's a good one. I think the answer is yes and no though mostly yes, especially professors who re so immersed in their intellectual pursuits that they choose to teach it. Wile I doubt every graduate student is a nerd I imagine that the mode of them would be of this was somehow measurable. While the intellect and expertise in a lot of technical and academic skills are a large par of the definition, I feel as though i should not have skimped out on how there is still a certain level of social inadequate or at least. This is all very complicated stuff to figure out, it's sort of why I attempted to encourage conversation and insight on my analyses because I don't have all the answers.
  • edited 2011-05-20 17:11:27
    Because you never know what you might see.
    "Nerd" is an insult for somebody who is perceived to be overly weak, studious, finicky or intellectual.

It has also been adopted as a term of identification among various subcultural groups, and consequently is sometimes applied to people who participate in or share some of the interests of those groups as a more-or-less neutral descriptive term.
  • edited 2011-05-20 12:58:38
    Pony Sleuth
    This topic is so relevant to Chagen that it's not even fu-

Well okay, it is funny.

Regarding "nerd", it has so many interpretations that the denotation doesn't help with the definition nearly as much as connotations. You're not incorrect to call someone a nerd because they have a strong interest in some academic pursuit, because they play video games, nor because they are intelligent, but you can certainly have one trait without the others.

It's kind of like the word "hipster".
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    What the hell does this have to do with Chagen?

Also, the way I see it:

nerd = someone with a significantly-higher-than-average degree of knowledge about a particular subject, combined with a significantly-higher-than-average amount of enthusiasm for the same subject.  Especially if said subject is academic.  May be used as an insult implying that said person focuses on that subject to the detriment of 'eir ability to otherwise lead life normally (according to local social standards), usually with an emphasis on social skills.  May also be used as a group self-identification term among self-described "nerds".

cf. "geek", which carries a similar meaning, but is more often used if the subject has to do with computers or non-mainstream entertainment.