If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

My Dad's Moral Code Seems To Be "These Things Are Bad...Unless Done By Me, My Friends or My Family"

edited 2011-07-23 20:26:06 in General
See, me, my mum and my dad were sitting have a quiet wee drink. A name was mentioned, I called the man in question "scum" on the grounds that he was a drug dealer. Not only was he a drug dealer, but he sold drugs to kids.

My dad got all huffy and grumpy because this person happened to be a friend of my cousin/his nephew. I called him out on this bullshit telling him "there are times when you have to put your moral code aside, such as extenuating circumstances. But a drug dealer being "yer mate" isn't a good reason."

He has since stormed off in a huff.

Comments

• Haha no, Chagen doesn't drink, silly Inkblot. I should spread out and say; this isn't specifically about my dad, the thread's about people who change the morals to suit them. Who think that one rule should be applied to everyone except people the rule maker knows. 
  • And, you know, Americans don't use "mum".
  • sleep is for the we[e/a]k

Did he try to rationalize it? As in, "it's okay when [person I know] sells drugs to kids because he really needs the money for X". Or did he just say it's okay because he knows that person and people he knows don't do bad things? 

Cause the former is still pretty annoying, but I don't think I've ever actually seen people use the latter.

• He may be a drug peddler, but at least he's not an ageist.