If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Holiday season game sales: Humble Bundle 4, Steam, Good Old Games, GamersGate, etc.

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    That's...

I-I'm just going to go buy FotW now.
  • edited 2011-12-24 17:19:54
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^^ someone sounds butthurt.

Wait I wanna see this shit.  * goes to Steam FotW forum *

Edit: Shitstorm has been waded into!
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition and Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition acquired!
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Plants vs. Zombies: Game of the Year Edition Y/N?
    ^YES. Definitely yes, it's probably the best Tower Defense style game I've played.
    I don't play much TD, but the two I've played that stuck with me were Orcs Must Die and Immortal Defense.

I should play PvZ sometime.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I haven't played much TD but I've played Desktop Tower Defence and Paper War and a few others.  My favorite so far is still DTD.

I actually thought the genre originated with a simple flash game that was roughly based on Warcraft III.  I don't remember the name, but it had a grey background and sprout, frost, flame, and weather(?) towers.  The last kind couldn't be upgraded at all, but the others could.  However, Wikipedia tells me that the concept goes back further.

...upon looking up Google image search for "Flash Element TD", I actually think I played this, like once.  And then didn't bother anymore since it seemed to have more bells and whistles than I wanted; I played this immediately after playing that WC3-based one.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I remember there being TD games at least as far back as Starcraft.
    What I like about Orcs Must Die is that it takes the genre in a completely different direction, what with how you control a battlemage, meaning that even if something gets through your traps, you can charge in with your bladestaff and take it out if you're good. And if you're insanely good, it's possible to play it without placing traps, despite it being primarily a TD game.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    I wish more of these big budget games would offer demos, so I could actually see if I could run them before I buy them...
    Just compare the system requirements to your computer?
    Graphics cards are notoriously hard to compare for those of us who don't know how to rank them.
    ^^^Go here, or here if you're using a laptop.
  • I can get a vague idea of how powerful one card is to another if given some raw numbers, but it still is a pain to rank them. 
    Got my seventh piece of coal, and crafted them into...a coupon for 50% off a CyanWorlds title -_-
  • edited 2011-12-25 16:33:05
    [Steam] Have 10 items on wishlist - done; coal
    [SK] Son of a Nutcracker - done; coal

[SK] Mission Accomplished - done; Spiral Sallet

Next up:
    [AYIM] Shown White

^ Don't craft your coal.
    Shown White achieved.  Result: -60% Magicka.
  • edited 2011-12-25 19:56:17
    BTW, I want to mention how useless that coupon is.  If I really wanted Magicka, I would have gotten it from GamersGate, which has it priced at 59 cents less...and can be activated in Steam.

Do you think there's any chance of me getting Fate of the World through just Lucidity, -50% Valve, -10% Valve (or -50% Farm Simulator 2011), and -60% Magicka?  Or should I just buy the damn thing?
    Why not craft the coal? The odds on the drawing are...rather pathetic, as far as I can tell.
  • edited 2011-12-25 19:59:48
    Because it's viable as a trading item. I've bought a couple inexpensive games through coal.
    Well, you're likely to get a game you don't want or a coupon or more coal when you craft coal.  Chances of you getting a game you want by crafting are pretty minuscule anyway, and by using up the coal you're using up your chances of winning a drawing prize...or using them on the Steam forums' Steam Trading subforum as bargaining chips.
    I don't generally actually trade, and like I said, the odds on the drawing can't possibly be better than the odds on the crafting.
    Fair enough, then.

Though, are you interested in Lucidity?
    Not especially.
    I'm wondering if Lucidity is actually an even worse bargaining chip than coal.
  • No rainbow star
    I'm saving my coal in case if I win

I know the chances are insanely slim, but eh, I might get very very lucky
    The Steam website was so down that a short while ago, I was unable to even log in.

Also, today's deals include $4.99 on Worms Reloaded, which is one of the Great Gift Pile achievement games.

(It's also on my wishlist if you want to gift it to me, though I'm probably not going to buy it myself.  Incidentally, so is Audiosurf.  If you want something in return, check out my inventory.  Remember, TF2 and Spiral Knights items are fair game too, if you want them!)

Also funny how today you've got Bastion going for $5.09.  It's also a GGP achievement game.  However, it was $4.99 just a short while ago, which was when JBridge got me the game.

I picked up Fate of the World last night.  Very interesting strategy game.  Takes a while for a single playthrough though.  I'm wondering whether I should tell my parents about it.  On one hand, they're kinda allergic to the whole idea of me playing games.  On the other hand, this game is very, very related to my field of study.
  • edited 2011-12-26 12:41:14
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Already did the Bastion achievement. It's just for completing the first level. Takes like three minutes, and shorter if you're running it from a new game plus.

I should really get that FotW one. I haven't gotten around to playing it since I did the first campaign.
    Just added Rock of Ages to my wishlist.  FWIW it's on sale for $2.49 until tomorrow.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    @GMH
    What is your field of study? 
    (I'm sure you must have mentioned it somewhere before but I can't remember).