If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Holiday season game sales: Humble Bundle 4, Steam, Good Old Games, GamersGate, etc.

Comments

• edited 2011-12-21 16:12:21
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Ultima 4 is free when you sign up for a GOG account.

Well, here's the whole list of free games you get when you sign up:
    * Teenagent (PNCA, contemporary setting)
    * Beneath a Steel Sky (PNCA, sci-fi setting)
    * Lure of the Temptress (PNCA, fantasy setting, by the people who made Broken Sword)
    * Tyrian 2000 (shmup, sci-fi setting)
    * Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar (WRPG, fantasy setting)
    * Dragonsphere (PNCA, fantasy setting)

And yes, the account itself is free.
  • Hmm, I'll have to consider that sometime. Too busy with Steam right now, though...
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Odd, I have an account I've never been able to buy anything on, and I have all of those but Ultima 4.
  • edited 2011-12-21 16:26:57
    Ultima 4 page: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/ultima_4

Try going there and seeing if it's free.  It might be a recent addition.
    Ah, yeah.
  • I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    @GMH
    Chanteliese £6.49
    FoTW £9.99

(Basically steam are sometimes dicks with currency rates.)
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ...I just found that Septerra Core is $2.48 at GamersGate.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Just finished the Psychonauts achievement.

Got coal again. :\
    How far into the game do you have to be to get it?
    A few hours in I think, as soon as you can get the pyrokenesis power.

I cheesed it by downloading a save from here. Kinda wish I didn't, the game is pretty good. Very reminiscent of N64-era Rare platformers (Banjo Kazooie/Donkey Kong 64)
    Ah, okay, that's not bad. I've played the game before, I just didn't have the PC version.
  • edited 2011-12-21 17:18:42
    Likes cheesecake unironically.
    I don't think that Ultima IV is a recent addition. When I signed up, it was already there. Then again, I have my GOG account only since a month...

But you have a point. With Ultima IV (I recommend using xu4 with it) being free already, it's only 22 new games, which... isn't much better.
    ^^Though I have to say that the camera controls are pretty bad.
    Also to ask again if anyone wants to be gifted Counter-Strike: Source as I got that game from the gift pile and don't want it.
    Is that the standard Counter-Strike game?
    ^
    No Idea the store says:

THE NEXT INSTALLMENT OF THE WORLD'S # 1 ONLINE ACTION GAME 
    Counter-Strike: Source blends Counter-Strike's award-winning teamplay action with the advanced technology of Source™ technology. Featuring state of the art graphics, all new sounds, and introducing physics, Counter-Strike: Source is a must-have for every action gamer.
  • edited 2011-12-21 17:56:49
    Apparently, Septerra Core is like a JRPG but with western developers, a very intricately-designed setting and plot, and somewhat tedious gameplay.

Hmm.

Also, GamersGate offers Recettear for $6.78: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-RAIST/recettear-an-item-shops-tale

So if you missed the Steam sale, you can still get it for a decent price.

Chantelise is $3.38: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CHANTE/chantelise-a-tale-of-two-sisters

Magicka is $3.40 and Torchlight is $7.48.

Edit: Did I say Torchlight was 3.78?  No.  Not that good.  That said, 7.48 on GG is still one cent cheaper than 7.49 on Steam, and GG is client-free.
    ^^Why not? Might as well round out my library of Valve games.

Unless someone else wants it more.
    ^
    Just literally gifted it away, sorry.
  • edited 2011-12-21 18:26:05
    I think I ought to make some sort of price comparison between the various services.

For example:

Torchlight - S 7.49 GG 7.48 GOG -- Des -- Imp --
    Recettear - S 9.99 GG 6.78 GOG -- Des -- Imp 19.99
    Chantelise - S 4.99 GG 3.38 GOG -- Des -- Imp --
    Fallout - S 4.99 GG -- GOG 2.99 Des 9.99 Imp 9.99
    Fallout 2 - S 4.99 GG -- GOG 2.99 Des 9.99 Imp 9.99
    Septerra Core - S -- GG 2.48 GOG 2.99 Des -- Imp --
    Tropico Reloaded (T1, PI, T2PC) - S 3.49 GG 3.50 GOG 2.99 Des -- Imp 6.99
    Mirror's Edge - S 9.99 GG 19.95 GOG -- Des -- Imp 19.99
    Magicka - S 3.99 GG 3.40 GOG -- Des -- Imp 9.99
    Thief: Deadly Shadows - S 13.39 GG 14.99 GOG -- Des -- Imp --

Now let's try a major recent title:

The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings - S 26.79 GG 19.98 GOG 23.99 Des -- Imp 39.99

I should probably have indicated which ones are sale prices.  Oh well, whatever.

Impulse seems to suck.  Impulse also happens to be owned by GameStop, so I'm slightly less sympathetic.

I should probably fix the thread title.
  • edited 2011-12-22 12:03:00
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    And...I don't have, or want, even one game for the achievements today T_T

Well, Space Marine's probably okay. But that one I can't afford.

Well, at least ME2's on sale. That'll let me finish up my definitive run on PC before ME3's out.
  • edited 2011-12-22 12:46:14
    I have yet to do yesterday's (or was it the day before yesterday's) Spiral Knights achievement, and this adds DEFCON to the pile.

Oh well, at least DEFCON seems like it might be kinda fun.  I have it from the Humble Introversion Bundle.
    I was going to do the SK achievement. I installed it and started playing...then I uninstalled it, because I didn't like it.
    I prefer Eden Eternal to Spiral Knights.

I got interested in MMORPGs after I read .hack//Another Birth.  I started playing Spiral Knights.  I wasn't enjoying it, so I dropped it.

Then Cygan introduced me to Eden Eternal, which was much more fun in my opinion.
    The only MMO I've played lately and enjoyed was TOR...but I can't play it anymore now that it's out, since I don't have a subscription T_T
  • edited 2011-12-22 15:24:47
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Just bought Psychonauts. I'm honestly surprised it actually runs on this computer.

EDIT:  Bluh, never mind. I don't think I can emphasize enough how unbelievably shitty this laptop is.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    Just bought the aforementioned Ultima games. Haven't downloaded them yet. Don't know when I'll do that.
  • edited 2011-12-22 17:21:23
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Okay, I stole commandeered borrowed my dad's old laptop, to see if that works better.

I'm at least hoping it can run all these new games I bought.  It's old, but I'll be surprised if it can't.  Except maybe Amnesia, because I guess that actually has decent graphics I guess.  We'll see.
  • edited 2011-12-22 18:53:15
    Thief: the Dark Project is going for $5.99 on GamersGate.

(It's not available on Steam, Desura, Impulse, or Good Old Games.  This is the prequel to Thief: Deadly Shadows, which is available on GamersGate and Steam.)

Should buy?

Apparently, the game has trouble working in Windows 7 on a multi-core processor, which I have.  That said, fixes seem to exist.
  • edited 2011-12-22 18:53:01
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    The disc version is $3.96 on Amazon. And I don't even think that's just for the holidays.