If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General writing discussion.

edited 2011-07-19 23:15:31 in General
If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
Fire away.

Comments

• edited 2011-07-19 23:17:55
    Tableflipper
    Why is it that beginning the thing tends to feel harder than going on after that?

Er, the book itself. Not preparations and whatever.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Because you don't have a starting base. You can't look back and see that you've already done work. It's just an empty page.
  • Also, not exactly directly related to writing, but does anyone else have problems rereading what you've already done to decrease plot holes? For some reason I just open up the file and type whatever instead of actually checking if it's consistent.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Censorship. How small would the audience be for a Teen - Young Adult work with extremely violent themes, mild cussing(shit, crap, damn) and some fanservicey themes (succubus)?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I dunno, if I remember correctly, Darren Shan (Cirque du Freak, Demonata) writes really bloody Teen-Young Adult novels that are pretty popular.
  • Probably fine. Boys and lesbians would probably like the Succubi part.

America needs more interesting subject matter in its novels these days. Just watch out for the Christian fundies. They will blow up if the succubi are portrayed as good and not immoral rapists.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    Also, not exactly directly related to writing, but does anyone else have problems rereading what you've already done to decrease plot holes? For some reason I just open up the file and type whatever instead of actually checking if it's consistent.

I do.

I find it's better to have an editor for that.

Censorship. How small would the audience be for a Teen - Young Adult work with extremely violent themes, mild cussing(shit, crap, damn) and some fanservicey themes (succubus)?

That's like, every YA series ever.
  • Implying them exploding isn't a good thin- oh wait you just meant the explosion without the destruction.
    Just watch out for the Christian fundies.

They can go burn their books all they want. I should know that I'm going to be advertising my books via them anyway (DONT READ THIS BOOK, ITS THE DEVIL) (WOW REALLY, I SHOULD READ THIS BOOK, I HEARD ITS PRETTY EVIL...NO WAI ITS AWESMOE)
  • That too.

What's the plotline anyway? I think I may be one of your first buyers~
    The first key of a book is to not explain your idea before you write a draft and a premise first.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Is it pretentious to think of yourself as a writer or a critic when you're not employed to do those things?

Because I do. I write reviews and critical essays all the time and am working (very slowly) on a novel.
    Pretentious is a meaningless buzzword.
    http://dagobah.net/flash/u_mad.swf

Let's draw on this page.
    Okay, is it arrogant to presume such a thing then?
    arrogant is subjective.
  • You can change. You can.
    A writer is a person who produces literary content, including but not limited to stories, poetry, music and other literary art, advertising, procedures, and books.

You do produce such. Therefore, you are writer. However, you are unpaid for it, therefore, you're not a professional writer.
  • They're somethin' else.
    I have more or less a solid idea of what I want my character to sound like. Or rather, I know what archetypes she falls into and how to break away from it. I want her to have a certain voice. But whenever I write stuff for her, I end up unsatisfied. She's either too obnoxiously snarky, or she comes off like "such a girl". And I realize I can't write anything plot relevant for her as the story is now.

What should I do?
    And people who presume things aren't arrogant, and doing something doesn't make you arrogant. Being arrogant makes you arrogant. Just like listening to Clay Aiken doesn't make you gay, but being gay makes you gay.
    A writer is a person who produces literary content, including but not limited to stories, poetry, music and other literary art, advertising, procedures, and books.

You do produce such. Therefore, you are writer. However, you are unpaid for it, therefore, you're not a professional writer.

qft
  • You can change. You can.
    I have more or less a solid idea of what I want my character to sound like. Or rather, I know what archetypes she falls into and how to break away from it. I want her to have a certain voice. But whenever I write stuff for her, I end up unsatisfied. She's either too obnoxiously snarky, or she comes off like "such a girl". And I realize I can't write anything plot relevant for her as the story is now.

Can I ask you to send me at least an excerpt of the story? Preferably with the character interacting with the main character if possible?

Also, I probably won't be much of help today/tonight so it'll be a bit of a late reply. 
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    -feels like writing something knightly-

-picks up pen-

-too many incompatible ideas-
  • They're somethin' else.
    I'll show you later, if that's the case.
  • edited 2011-07-20 01:10:47
    Has friends besides tanks now
    -feels like writing something-

-is not sure what that something is-

-contemplates reposting visual novel sample here for more feedback-
    I'm writing a story right now which sort of has become an American version of the all-too-popular magical girlfriend genre...
  • So does she have massive tits with a Stars and Stripes bra or something?
  • edited 2011-07-20 01:14:46
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    No, the setting and characters are just more western.

It's also set in a english medieval fantasy land, rather than modern day.
  • ....I will buy this the fucking instant it comes out. 
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Medieval European Magical Girl?

Cute witch or sexy nun?
  • edited 2011-07-20 01:25:54
    Not magical girl, magical girlfriend.  That is, sudden girlfriend appearance.

I assume, anyway.