If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I saw some animé DVDs for series I have watched, at the mall

edited 2011-07-17 15:42:12 in Meatspace
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
...but I couldn't buy them.

Well, technically, I could; I have a credit card and I have enough cash anyway.  That said, I was with my parents, and I've already gotten enough flak for buying two games for $13.76 several months ago.

For what it's worth, they were:
* Stratos 4, DVD #3: Code 108, Code 109, Code 110 (episodes 8, 9, 10): $6.97
* Magic Knight Rayearth season 1 box set, unopened?: $49.99 (which I wouldn't have bought anyway)
* Kiddy Grade, DVD #8 (episodes 22, 23, 24), preowned: $2.99
* Kiddy Grade, DVD #6 (episodes 16, 17, 18), new: $24.99 (WTF?)
* Kiddy Grade, DVD #8 (episodes 22, 23, 24), new: $24.99 discounted to $7.99
One of the two new KG discs had a label saying that it contained limited-edition collectible cards.  These prices are pre-tax.  Tax is either 6% or 6.??% (as in slightly higher) currently.

Comments

• Buying individual discs is rarely worth it once there's a collection available.  You can get both of those series for $30 each.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Entire boxset for Noir is 43.99. :()
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    But...the opportunity to snatch them up in person...

and yeah I know.  But it just feels special to be able to buy a hard copy in a physical store.  There's a joy, a charm to it.
  • I want your hard, feathery cock, Bird Boy.
    I wanted to buy the entire boxset of Ninja Nonsense, but it was like 99 bucks ;-;

It came with an Onsakemaru plushie...
    For what it's worth, this is the Fye Entertainment store in Buckland Hills Mall in Manchester, CT.

@Vorpy: I saw that in the Newbury Comics store at the same mall for $45.  Decided it was too expensive.  Heck, the individual discs were at some price (exactly what I don't remember) at which multiplying them by the total number of discs would get me a number less than $45.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    ....the DS higurashi games are 279.00 dollars.
  • $45 isn't really a lot for 26 episodes.  That's less than 2 dollars an episode.
  • I wanted to buy the entire boxset of Ninja Nonsense, but it was like 99 bucks ;-;
    It came with an Onsakemaru plushie...

Aren't you the same person who asked what's with the disgust for using sex appeal for stuff?
    @DYRE: True.  But it's harder to justify a $45 expenditure than a $5 or $8 expenditure.
  • I feel your pain. The Kino's Journey box set I wanted was at the cheapest around $70. x////x
    Wait, DYRE, you say that MKR1 can be found for $30?
  • edited 2011-07-17 16:05:04
    ^^^ Yeah, I know.  But still I wouldn't consider it particularly expensive, even if I'd probably try to avoid spending that much if there's other things I could buy for less.

^ No, since you edited that in after I posted my post.
  • edited 2011-07-17 16:06:30
    EDIT: lolchinesebootlegnevermind
    Yeah I thought I'd seen that for a crazy amount (like $150) in the Kinokuniya bookstore in NYC.  That said I think that was an import, and this set I'm pretty sure is the US version.
  • edited 2011-07-17 16:11:37
    Yeah, I just realized the one I linked to is a bootleg Chinese version, probably, maybe, since it says the language is Cantonese? (though the publisher that's listed is the actual publisher for the series...)  So yeah.  It's probably gonna be $50 everywhere.
  • I want your hard, feathery cock, Bird Boy.
    I didn't say I was gonna do it for everything Edmania...
  • edited 2011-07-17 16:14:28
    Oh, never mind.  The one on Amazon probably is legitimate (maybe), only it has the description kinda screwed up.

Here it is on Rightstuf.
    Come to think of it, I didn't check Eureka Seven or Nanoha, though I'm not really interested in the first season of the latter, which is the only one that's been dubbed IIRC.  And I have heard that the dub sucks, but have not confirmed this first-hand.

E7, on the other hand, at 50 episodes, will almost certainly be a crapton of money.
  • But the first season of Nanoha is the best! D:

(probably, since I haven't watched StrikerS, but from what I hear it's a lot different from the other two)
  • edited 2011-07-17 16:22:48
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    1. Everyone's grown up.  Well, into being young adults at least.
    2. Much larger cast.
    3. Double the season length.
    4. Less childish fantasy magic, more magitech, more military politics.
    5. Doesn't take place on Earth.
  • 1. Everyone's grown up.  Well, into being young adults at least.

Not a good thing.  Neutral at best.

2. Much larger cast.

Bad thing.  The cast was already too large for the show to support.

3. Double the season length.

The first two seasons' stories worked perfectly in 13 episodes, more isn't necessary.

4. Less childish fantasy magic, more magitech, more military politics.

It's (supposed to be) a magical girl show.  Fantasy magic is the point.  The magitech stuff is kinda stupid, and ew politics.

5. Doesn't take place on Earth.

Again, this is neutral at best.  Earth is a perfectly acceptable setting, and it's kind of necessary for a magical girl show.

Yes, I know Nanoha mostly stopped being a magical girl show halfway through season 1, and pretty much completely stopped with the magical girl stuff by season 2, but... that's why I like season 1 more than 2.
    1. Don't worry, there are other lolis for you to fawn over.
    2. The original cast wasn't that big.  It was basically Nanoha, Fate, Arf, the head villain of the season, Yuuno, Chrono, and Hayate and the four Wolkenritter starting with the second season.  That's pretty much it for main characters.  StrikerS does expand it quite a bit, though, adding four new protagonists (Erio, Caro, Teana, Subaru), new major antagonists (Agito, Zest, Lutecia), along with kinda-major side characters (Regius Gaiz and the two Saint Church nuns).  And twelve combat cyborgs, conveniently numbered.
    3. I prefer the scope of StrikerS, honestly; the first season especially felt like it was over as soon as it started.  StrikerS also contains basically two plots, one wherein the newbies are trained, and the other wherein they become seasoned professionals through intense real combat experience.
    4. I liked how both sides very involved in strategy.  Magical strategy, to boot.
  • I didn't say I was gonna do it for everything Edmania...

I'm not seeing why this is an exception though.
  • 1.  BUT FATE WITH BOOBS! D:

2.  The original cast was still too big for my tastes though.  Especially with the Wolkenritter, who... really could have been reduced to just one character and it would have been the same thing.

3.  Yeah, but, see, that sounds boring.  To me, I mean.  I liked that the first season was pretty much entirely focused on Fate, and Nanoha's relationship with her.  The second season's story wasn't as good since it seemed to increase the amount of focus on the series' random magic artifact compared to the first season, and correspondingly decreased the focus on character development and whatnot.  And it looks like StrikerS continues in that direction.

4.  Eh.

I know, lolpinions.
    StrikerS doesn't go into that much more about magical systems and magitech details.  It's biggest focus is probably backstory and setting.
  • edited 2011-07-17 18:03:17
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    >1. Everyone's grown up.  Well, into being young adults at least.
    Not a good thing.  Neutral at best.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff473/IanExMachina/Reaction Images/kiddiefiddler.jpg">
  • BUT BOOBS! D:

Anyway, I don't have any interest in the setting or backstory of anything in the Nanoha series, or most series really, so... yeah...
    Well, that explains why you watch Strike Witches!
  • -not really sure what that's supposed to mean-