If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The strange Persecution Complex Christians tend to get.

edited 2011-04-28 19:51:22 in General
[tɕagɛn]
A lot of Christians--especially the more Conservative ones--tend to view anything that isn't ass-kissing of Christianity as persecution. I never got why. Even people simply practicing other religions is an "attack" on Christianity. And even though Christians form over 70% of The US's population, they always act like they're the last surviving Christians fighting the evils of the sinful world, like they're martyrs for their faith, when they enjoy privilege (since Christianity is the only religion in America that won't get you odd looks for practicing).

That "I'm a martyr" thing has made me jokingly call this the "Jesus Complex". But it's still kind of aggravating.

Comments

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    Have you seen the OTC thread about Aggressive atheism?

It covers similar ground.
  • Chagen, I'm going to say this once, then I'm never going to say it again.

Next time you post anything, ever, think to yourself "If I were going to pick what I'm saying apart and find a problem with it, what would I find?"

You will find it probably will save you a lot of time and aggravation, and you will sound far more intelligent as you integrate that kind of critical questioning into the way you post naturally, as you'll be less likely to make threads and points that people instantly want to tear to pieces, because you'll find out whats wrong with your arguments yourself, rather than having the horde that is IJBM descend upon you to point out how wrong you are about something.

And make no mistake, they can, and will, do this for damn near anything you post, because you have a reputation for being stupid, and from what I've seen of your threads so far, its fully justified because you don't seem to take into account that things may not be as you percieve them. You really need to curb that tendency if you intend to ever be taken seriously.
  • edited 2011-04-28 19:55:45
    Because you never know what you might see.
    ^^ I think that thread also inadvertantly demonstrates that it's not only Christians who do this.
  • edited 2011-04-28 19:58:19
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^
    Yup it covers quite a lot and is an interesting read, so it might be good to read (if people have the time).

Edit:
    I wasn't trying to imply it was only Christians btw.
  • Let's face it, there are crazy people with persecution complexes everywhere, of every race, age, gender, political affiliation, religious / spiritual views, etc.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    I've even met several Jews who were like this. I mean, yes, they have more of a reason to believe this than several other religions, but 13 millions ain't nothing to sneeze at. 
  • Inside, too dark to read
    ^ My understanding is that "13 million" includes all the ethnically Jewish atheists. You'd have to drop several million if counting those...

shades

... who are frum around here.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEAH!!!
    It's not every day I have to look up a pun. 

-slowclap- 
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    To opening poster: Partly because group unity is easier to achieve when you are faced with a common challenge.
  • edited 2011-04-28 21:14:58

My understanding is that "13 million" includes all the ethnically Jewish atheists. You'd have to drop several million if counting those...
    1) Likewise, not everyone considers all of the 70% or so that are typically categorized as Christians, to be "true Christians".  For example, ther are some fundamentalists who don't consider Mormons to be Christians, some athiests would like to see agnostics who identify as Christians reclassified, etc.

2) Even discounting (1) there is a general demographic trend away from Christianity and towards Islam, secularism, etc., in many countries.

3) There has also been a general trend specifically away from Christian cultural traditions and artifacts within government in the U.S. and some other countries.  For example, "Christmas" celebrations in some cities being replaced with "winter holiday", prayer actively discouraged in schools, etc.  Simultaneously, there has been a movement toward alternative traditions, such as schools holding a Kwanza celebration or teaching students about Islam in public elementary school in predominantly Christian towns - something that would have happened rarely if at all just a few decades ago.

4) Christian culture, traditions, etc., are routinely mocked, criticised, steriotyped, etc. in the media, by artists, etc.  While Muslims, Jews, and other groups are also targetted in this manner, there is a sense amung more conservative Christians that there is an attitude that mocking other religions is questionable at best, but Christianity is viewed as an Acceptable Target by the mainstram media.

5) More liberal Christians increasingly have begun to move away from what more conservitive Christians feel is an integral part of the religion - e.g., belief in Hell and Satan, marriage within the church as between 1 man and 1 woman, etc.

So from that point of view it's hardly surprising some Christians feel a sense of concern for the future of their beleif system.

• edited 2011-04-28 22:02:50
    CRIMINAL SCUM!

"You'd have to drop several million if counting those"

Hardly.

There aren't very many jews in the world. Which range from 13 to 18 mill. This includes secular jews. 40% live in isreal. Another 40% live in America. I'd say there are a million secular jews in America tops.

• Yup, that was the picture I had in mind when I made this thread.
    You forgot the gif in which the Christian part eats the others. That gif is funny. 
  • Chagen, I'm going to say this once, then I'm never going to say it again.

Next time you post anything, ever, think to yourself "If I were going to pick what I'm saying apart and find a problem with it, what would I find?"

You will find it probably will save you a lot of time and aggravation, and you will sound far more intelligent as you integrate that kind of critical questioning into the way you post naturally, as you'll be less likely to make threads and points that people instantly want to tear to pieces, because you'll find out whats wrong with your arguments yourself, rather than having the horde that is IJBM descend upon you to point out how wrong you are about something.

And make no mistake, they can, and will, do this for damn near anything you post, because you have a reputation for being stupid, and from what I've seen of your threads so far, its fully justified because you don't seem to take into account that things may not be as you percieve them. You really need to curb that tendency if you intend to ever be taken seriously.

Thank you for being so blantantly anti-intellectual.

• edited 2012-11-18 11:53:43
    Has friends besides tanks now
    . . . There are literally only two other people from this thread who still come here/aren't banned, and GuitarBizarre isn't one of them.
  • And you may be the first person to ever seriously defend Chagen in, like, ever.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I almost had a heart attack when I went on the mobile site and saw Chagen's stupid avatar again.

Gigantala, is there a reason that you're necroing threads that have been dead for more than a year without even saying anything discussion worthy?

I thought Christianity and necromancy didn't mix.  I guess I was wrong...

• I'm a damn twisted person

Considering Jesus rose three days after he died, I'd say necromancy and Christianity go together just fine.

Isn't that just delayed auto-revive?

Raise Dead and True Resurrection are Conjuration [Healing] spells.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Pointless interjection:

A more appropriate term would probably be "necrolurgy" or "mortilurgy". 

• Silence is golden.

I miss Chagen and his unique brand of intellectualism.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Raise Dead and True Resurrection are Conjuration [Healing] spells.

That's designation is bullshit and you know it. The devs just didn't want the goodytwo shoes clerics to get their precious alignments and feelings hurt by casting necromancy spells.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I almost had a heart attack when I went on the mobile site and saw Chagen's stupid avatar again.

I felt the same way.

Thank you for being so blantantly anti-intellectual.

What the hell was anti-intellectual about that? I can't see it.

If anything, it was a bit snippy, which was justified because lol chagen. 

• edited 2012-11-18 14:49:50
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^ Isn't the distinction that negative energy is necromancy and positive energy is conjuration?  Or are there necromancy spells that channel positive energy or non-necromancy spells that channel negative energy?

• Before third edition, it was all necromancy. It didn't matter as much, though, since clerics got their spells from groups called "spheres", which are kind of like domains.

Of course, the positive and negative energy planes were alignment-neutral, since they were elemental planes. If you spent too much time on the positive energy plane, you would explode.

#letmetellyouaboutplanescape

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

If you spent too much time on the positive energy plane, you would explode

That part is still true as of 3.5.

• So, you could theoretically make people explode by pumping them with enough positive energy? I must find out how viable this is.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

No, there's no way to expose someone to that much of it without actually going to the plane.

Though I did have a DM one time rule that a lich exploded after I tossed his phylactery into the positive energy plane, so there's that, I guess.