If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM: things named after the wrong part of the process

in General
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
Examples:

Want to get your employees to make more money?
Consider offering them a bonus if they sell more of the product, in an incentive program.
But you shouldn't offer them the "incentive" that they won't receive yet until they sell more of the product. That's because your offer itself is the "incentive". You're already giving them an incentive, by making the offer. (Unless you call the bonus an "incentive payment" so as to differentiate it from the "incentive" itself.)

Did you do something cool in a video game?
You've achieved something, and you may receive a digital indicator (such as but not limited to a trophy) recording your accomplishment, your achievement of this goal.
Perhaps we can imagine this indicator being locked away from you before you achieve this goal, but once you achieve this goal, the indicator is unlocked for you, such as with a timestamp commemorating your achievement.
But what you unlocked is the indicator, the prize, the trophy, the award. That is your reward for achieving this achievement.
You didn't unlock the "achievement" itself. You performed the achievement, which unlocked a reward indicating your achievement.

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    I'm pretty sure this is using words as they're meant to be used. Words change meaning literally all the time.

A video game Achievement is a very specific thing, with a snappy name that most games don't use (most games out there uses the term 'reward', especially mobile games or other things with daily login things), to achieve gaming system wide consistency. A video game Achievement is not an achievement entirely in the sense of the word as you'd use it otherwise.

Basically... there are things named in much more idiosyncratic ways that should bother you more than this does.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Basically... there are things named in much more idiosyncratic ways that should bother you more than this does.
    Such as what?
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    I totally forgot about this and... to be completely honest I can't think of anything specific.