If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Civilization VI's trailer -- like so many other game trailers -- contains no gameplay footage.

in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
Steam page for Civ VI: http://store.steampowered.com/app/289070/

This is a new game, coming out in October 2016.  The sixth in the Civilization series.

I'm kinda curious what it's like.  I know, I have Civ V thanks to a friend gifting it to me, but I haven't gotten around to playing it.

So I check it out.  There's a 1 minute 45 second trailer on the store page.  I watch it.

It's 1 minutes and 45 seconds of putting me into the mood to find out more about the game.  Then the video stops.

...see it's this sort of thing that makes me wonder if this advertising is perhaps more aimed at people who already know the Civ series, as opposed to people who are new to it.  So those of us who are new to it, such as myself, gradually feel left out in the dark by all these trailers and stuff that all seem to imply certain things but don't actually say them, because we don't know what they imply.

Comments

• Suddenly I'm wondering what it would be like if they emphasized the sillier aspects of gameplay like spearmen fighting tanks.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-05-12 15:50:15
    Or Gandhi cackling maniacally as he starts nuclear war.

Okay, we know why they don't do that one.  India doesn't tend to like it much when people make fun of Gandhi, even if it's explicitly not actually Gandhi (Clone High).  I'm surprised Civ has gotten away with nuke-happy Gandhi for so long.
  • Not spearmen fighting against a tank but still (see alt text)

When you don't upgrade units properly in Civilization
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    It's almost cheating, Legion is 4/2/1. Or was in Civ 2, at least. By the way, how do you say "my tank is fight!" in Latin?
  • To be fair if I were to judge Civilization based on short video clips, I'd find it completely unappealing.
  • edited 2016-05-12 21:10:57
    I'm not really sure there is any way to make a trailer for Civilization that actually represents the gameplay in a way that isn't already implied by the fact that right next to where the trailer is, it says that it has the "turn-based strategy" tag. Like, if you don't already have some idea what the game is like, there's not really much of a way that a two minute trailer could really help. For other kinds of games, I get it. You can get a reasonable idea of what an action game is like by watching clips of gameplay, but probably not for a turn-based strategy 4x game like Civilization. (presumably, something like a 10 minute video of someone explaining the game to you could work, but it wouldn't exactly be very exciting as a trailer)

Maybe though they should at least have screenshots of menus and such, since that's presumably a large part of the game.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Incidentally I do have Civ V and a little while back I was asking for recommendations for a grand strategy game and someone suggested, well, Civ V.  So I should probably look into it.

lrdgck wrote: »
    It's almost cheating, Legion is 4/2/1. Or was in Civ 2, at least. By the way, how do you say "my tank is fight!" in Latin?

It's slightly complicated by the fact that there's no such thing as a war-machine tank in Latin, because there were...rather few of them back then.  I could use lacus, piscina, or cisterna, but ...

*looks up page on Roman siege engines*

Probably the closest thing would be a testudo actually -- an armored battering ram.

Also, the ungrammatical usage of "fight" requires a similarly ungrammatical conjugation of, say, pugnāre.  Perhaps the singular imperative, pugnā.  Thing is, though, written without the accent mark, it resembles the noun pugna, which just means "fight" (as in, like, a fight, a brawl, etc.).  We could try the plural, pugnāte, or simply be fine with sounding like "my tank armored battering ram is a fight".  Which is still oddly and somewhat hilariously nonsensical I guess.

Also, Latin has no articles, so the odd lack of articles in this sentence can't be directly replicated in Latin.  Word order is nearly meaningless in Classical Latin due to nearly everything being specified by word endings, though SOV is a common word order.

TESTUDO MEA PUGNA EST
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    ^ I would be satisfied with "TANC", so double thanks.
  • edited 2016-05-13 19:06:07
    ¡Mi tanque es pelear!

Mon char est battre!

Watashi no sensha tatakau da!
    For some reason, I can't switch into Cyrillic.
    Moy tank boy!