If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

It is now time to shut down the microscope. But before doing so--

in General
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Comments

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    You know what makes me feel weirded out? You can't take pictures of viruses, DNA or anything really tiny, but [some] people can tell you what they look like through pictures and shapes.

I wanna get a microscope and look at some quarks and stuff.
    is that cut-off intentional in the video? Did the college's budget run out mid-filming or something, or do you have to buy the last sentence with your textbooks?
  • Well, the thing is that after a certain point it gets meaningless to speak about what something "looks like" when it's actually of comparable size to photons. There are other ways to get images out of them, though.

Also this:

• Vorpy wrote: »
    You know what makes me feel weirded out? You can't take pictures of viruses, DNA or anything really tiny

Uh, electron microscopes?
    Oh, those were real pictures? I thought they were artistic restorations/depictions. Damn
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Vorpy wrote: »
    You know what makes me feel weirded out? You can't take pictures of viruses, DNA or anything really tiny, but [some] people can tell you what they look like through pictures and shapes.

I wanna get a microscope and look at some quarks and stuff.

More expensive models have connectors that can project their images onto a monitor/TV or such stuff.

Can't see quarks though.  Can see some larger molecules, though, such as proteins.
    What do you use to sense/detect quarks anyway?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-02-17 04:21:36
    Subatomic particles are usually detected via EM field disturbance, decay products, released energy during a collision, and/or shooting them with high-energy electron streams and measuring the disturbance.

That last one was how we proved the existence of quarks.  It's called deep inelastic scattering.