If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

New Age Weeaboos vs 201X's Weeaboos

in General
☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
201X reads as "X-Teen" amongst the edgy girl crowd, tipnote

So, I heard a discussion about the evolution (or, de-evolution) of the weeaboo stereotype and associated culture.

When it comes to a 2000's weeaboo vs a X-teen weeaboo, which one is worse? Who would win in a fight in their natural habitat?

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Both would lose because their natural habitat is anime message boards and as we all know having a fight on a message board means that all parties lose.
  • What are kids these days weabooing over? I haven't paid attention to weeaboos since Haruhi Suzumiya, Gurren Lagann, and Higurashi were all over TV Tropes.
  • Kantai Collection (moefied batttleships).
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    For those of you who care Weaboo trends as I see them:
    Past:
    ShinKyo (before the movies)
    SAO (probably still a sizeable fandom but not as big as during GGO)
    iM@S (I think the weird first finale of Deremas started the derail)

Right now:
    KanColle
    Love Live! (basically replacing iM@S really because everybody realized that you could buy more merchandise of a specific character in a series focused on 9 girls than in a series focused on... more girls than Aikatsu! presumably)
    Owari no Seraph (though it kind of died off right after it ended this time round)

Future:
    Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
    Boku no Hero Academia

2000's weeaboo vs a X-teen weeaboo

Overall, 2000's weeaboos seem to care more about stuff overall (in a creepy "how can X seiyuu get married way"), whilst X-teen weebs are more interested in getting the fix of whatever exact thing they want (oh gods the fansubber spamming). Of course, there will always be new obsessive weebs born at any given time, and I'd consider myself part of that demographic, but it's way outside the biggest part of the pie chart of weeb.

I'd still say that if one stays weeb for over 4 years, they probably evolve into a 2000s or Obsessive Weeb.

As a card-carrying and practising weeb, I can confirm that weeb means
    'loser' more than calling nerds "losers" means loser and there are
    basically subdivisions caused by each year and each upcoming trend, but I think I've captured the whole pretty well.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    The fragmentation of anime into increasingly niche subtypes is making it difficult for me to derive enjoyment from it. There's a Good Thing For Various Demographics release every so often, but I'm losing patience with having to wade through all the nonsense to get there. 

Mind you, this is happening with plenty of different media types, but anime seems particularly vulnerable. 
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    There's just lots more anime than before (which everybody takes to mean boom except the average length for an anime series has been cut in half and this includes danged Gundam).

I don't think that means there's like twice as much anime as before though?
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Looks like the amount of anime is bigger, but less so the volume of it.  Which makes me wonder about calculating anime density.
  • edited 2016-01-16 18:18:53
    Diet NEET
    Isn't it roughly split between reactionary and progressive, like all visible stereotypes in any subculture nowadays? 

I mean, even Japan itself suffers from this tribalism: http://neojaponisme.com/2012/05/30/are-japanese-moe-otaku-right-wing/
    2chan is probably having the same discussion on Haruchika (a new anime involving a love triangle with a hetero girl and a gay dude both vying for the affections of the same teach) as we're having over here (fetishization of the submissive Japanese girl as the perfect relationship material vs. fetishizing of queer relationships as inherently purer, because all shipping is political). 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I've had a feeling that fandoms of geeky stuff tend to be typically somewhere between (U.S.) liberal / progressive to libertarian, and also fairly apolitical overall.

Also @InsanityAddict could you please lighten up on the slang/jargon?  It's getting hard to understand what you're saying sometimes.
  • It's getting hard to understand what you're saying sometimes.

I thought that was intentional.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I get what he says, is that a bad sign?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    slang/jargon

huh