If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Sarcasm doesn't translate well without voice tone"

Yeah, because it's extremely hard to put in non-verbal cues as to the text's sarcasm.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Yeah, because it's extremely hard to put in non-verbal cues as to the text's sarcasm.

I know, right?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-09-04 04:17:23
    While you're right, it does make sense that people might get confused when there are so many people on the internet crazy enough to say something horrible in earnest.  So much of the stuff that comes up in US politics should never ever reasonably leave the realm of parody, but...well.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    The craziest thing about my previous post in this thread is that I can't be sure whether I actually was being sarcastic when I wrote that.

Though I think I wrote it deliberately to be ambiguous.
  • Soon GMH will be unable to tell what he's trying to convey when he says anything.
  • That's one of the things TV Tropes has done right, I think, because you can link to the pages for Sarcasm Mode or Sincerity Mode in whatever you write at any given time. (Not that they haven't done anything else right, mind you, but there's stuff they've done right and stuff they've done wrong.)
  • edited 2015-09-05 11:25:20
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Yeah you sure can't make sure people know you're being sarcastic unless you're on TVTropes.

sorry if this came off as mean spirited

oh wow vanilla is really good at this
  • No worries. :) And believe me, I am NOT somebody who loves every single little thing about TV Tropes. (See the thread about being Google-banned for more on that.)

I'm a member of this other site that has like a sarcasm font or something, although I haven't learned exactly what that looks like yet. So that's another way of communicating it.

You can also use smilies (or emojis if you're tweeting), or phrase things in a way that makes it really, really, REALLY obvious you're being sarcastic. E.g. "Oh yeah, Donald Trump would make a GREAT president! Just like Daikatana was the BEST GAME IN THE HISTORY OF GAMING! Speaking of things and people that are completely flawless and not horrible, you know what movie you should take the time to watch? Gigli. It is as awesome a movie as Donald Trump would be a president. And you wanna know something else that just fucking RULES like all of those other things? Getting cancer!" You know, like that. (Although maybe it doesn't need to be quite that obvious...)