If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

I got Google Banned from TV Tropes

Okay, basically, about three weeks ago, I got Google Banned from TV Tropes. It's not completely disruptive, the ban doesn't stop me from going to the site, but I do get automatically redirected whenever I try accessing a forum discussion. Basically, I got banned for suicidal tendencies or something (they never told me the actual reason, but, when I went to the thread after signing out someone was explaining the procedure for tropers with suicidal tendencies....basically to isolate them, yeah, that'll help). Basically, I had started going on a depressive and semi-suicidal series of ramblings in the Romance Thread (doesn't seem like something worthy of such a ban, but, whatever). I had been warned about two or three weeks earlier after a suspension for similar reasons, although I was far worse then than I was now. Basically, I don't know what to do, I can't even log into my account and they've designed it to be impossible for me to appeal, and I can't even just make a new account because whenever I try I never get the confirmation email.

What can I do? I really just need the account because I want to write a story and don't want either someone to steal my ideas or to be accused of stealing ideas.

Comments

• edited 2015-08-25 01:48:32
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Well you don't exactly need a TVT account in order to write a story. :P

A number of us IJBMers (and people in many other web communities, including some closely associated ones) have permanently left TVT one way or another, be it voluntary or involuntary, so it's not at all the end of the world.

It's also possible that they didn't want to deal with the liability of what if you did self-harm or even commit suicide while having something to do with their site.  That said, for what it's worth, this site also doesn't like dealing with that liability, so just so you know,
    Rules wrote:
    Do not depend on this site, especially for your mental well-being.

Not saying I don't want to be nice or anything -- I do feel sympathetic -- but just saying that I can't guarantee anything.  We certainly can't help you get back on TVT, as none of us are mods or even know the mods there nowadays, as far as I know.

As a more practical question, what specifically do you need the account for, to write your story?  If it's just seeing your userpage or a specific thread I can go look it up since I still have an active account there.
  • >banned for Suicidal Tendencies
    Oh man, some people are really anal about their taste in metal.

In all seriousness,the ban seems a bit overkill based on your description. IJBM has had its share of ex-tropers who treated the forum as their sole support and that got grating real fast, but if a person was actively (working on getting) in therapy, nobody really seemed to mind the slumps. 
  • Well you don't exactly need a TVT account in order to write a story. :P

A number of us IJBMers (and people in many other web communities, including some closely associated ones) have permanently left TVT one way or another, be it voluntary or involuntary, so it's not at all the end of the world.

It's also possible that they didn't want to deal with the liability of what if you did self-harm or even commit suicide while having something to do with their site.  That said, for what it's worth, this site also doesn't like dealing with that liability, so just so you know,
    Rules wrote:
    Do not depend on this site, especially for your mental well-being.

Not saying I don't want to be nice or anything -- I do feel sympathetic -- but just saying that I can't guarantee anything.  We certainly can't help you get back on TVT, as none of us are mods or even know the mods there nowadays, as far as I know.

As a more practical question, what specifically do you need the account for, to write your story?  If it's just seeing your userpage or a specific thread I can go look it up since I still have an active account there.

I didn't really need it, I just don't want people to think either I stole ideas and I don't want people to steal my ideas, it was also a nice place to have in order to get critique on political affairs, since my story starts getting into the politics of its world after a while. My account was OmniGoat, I have some posts in the Villian Critique Thread, the Nation Critique Thread, DBZ, Avatar, and FMA Threads, some in Race Relations, but the ones that got me banned were in the Romance Thread, but they got hidden as "troll comments".

In all seriousness,the ban seems a bit overkill based on your description. IJBM has had its share of ex-tropers who treated the forum as their sole support and that got grating real fast, but if a person was actively (working on getting) in therapy, nobody really seemed to mind the slumps. 

Honestly, I only ever freaked out twice, including this time, and this time it was far more controlled and relaxed than the last freak out, maybe it was near the beginning when I mentioned everyone in one of the gaming forums wanted me dead, although I calmed down fast enough and admitted I hyperbolized because I wasn't in the proper mental state. Of course, just as I was starting to get sane again I got banned, I don't even think the other tropers really agreed with it.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I was thinking by now TVT's got mods who do think before acting, so I dunno. Perhaps that was a break in the letter of the law. If I remember well, back in the day there was a rather tiresome wave of self-pitying, so  they put up these rules on the logic of "if it's serious, perhaps you need real help and not Internet forums, and if it's just whining, here's the door".

By the way, once upon a time we had a thread on writing advice, but to be honest, it's been a while since it had a community.

• edited 2015-08-25 14:21:21
    lrdgck wrote: »

I was thinking by now TVT's got mods who do think before acting, so I dunno. Perhaps that was a break in the letter of the law. If I remember well, back in the day there was a rather tiresome wave of self-pitying, so  they put up these rules on the logic of "if it's serious, perhaps you need real help and not Internet forums, and if it's just whining, here's the door".

By the way, once upon a time we had a thread on writing advice, but to be honest, it's been a while since it had a community.

One of the people in the thread that got me banned mentioned that suicide threats (funny thing was that I never actually mentioned killing myself and people just inferred from the way I spoke that I was depressed and possibly suicidal) were responded to by isolation of the troper and contact from staff, except I seemed to have just gotten perma-banned with no contact at all.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

You mentioned something about the other sub-forums? 

Anyway, I vaguely recall there was some channel of communication for google-banned... if only I knew what was it about. Other folks in here were more active in TVT's drama heyday, perhaps they know something.

• lrdgck wrote: »

You mentioned something about the other sub-forums? 

Anyway, I vaguely recall there was some channel of communication for google-banned... if only I knew what was it about. Other folks in here were more active in TVT's drama heyday, perhaps they know something.

I was just mentioning the other subs where I was active in case the person I replied to wanted to learn more about me, although I didn't cause any offenses their, just in the romance thread, and, I can't go to the appeal page and never get replies when I send emails.

Honestly, I only ever freaked out twice, including this time, and this time it was far more controlled and relaxed than the last freak out, maybe it was near the beginning when I mentioned everyone in one of the gaming forums wanted me dead, although I calmed down fast enough and admitted I hyperbolized because I wasn't in the proper mental state. Of course, just as I was starting to get sane again I got banned, I don't even think the other tropers really agreed with it.

That does seem a bit hair-trigger. Don't answer if you don't want to, but how old are you and are you considering counselling/are in counselling/whatevs for said issue?

That does seem a bit hair-trigger. Don't answer if you don't want to, but how old are you and are you considering counselling/are in counselling/whatevs for said issue?

I'm 17, in therapy, and on meds

I'm 17, in therapy, and on meds

Ah, awesome that you're getting the help you need, thanks for answering. 
    By the way, I logged in at TVT to see your latest post, and seems like you indeed had the bad luck to stumble on a hair-trigger mod, but that's all I'm saying for now 'cause of importing drama rule.
    By the way, I logged in at TVT to see your latest post, and seems like you indeed had the bad luck to stumble on a hair-trigger mod, but that's all I'm saying for now 'cause of importing drama rule.

Are you a mod or something?
    Neither here nor there.
    Neither here nor there.

I mean, can't you help me, if you are?
  • I think he's sayin he isn't a mod.
  • Naas_Human wrote: »
    I think he's sayin he isn't a mod.

Can anyone help me out though, like, seriously, I go there mainly for critique and I want my intellectually created stuff to be secure. It's like, I dunno, I just think a perma-ban was so extreme, I only had one suspension and wasn't really hurting anyone, I just snapped and went on a bit of a rant and people cooled me down anyway. Of course that guy Fighteer perma-banned me and hid my posts, I guess so I looked like a troll even though I'm not.
  • edited 2015-08-27 01:50:42
    What stuff is there of yours that you want to secure?

If they're just story ideas you posted in various places, I honestly don't think anyone's going to go trawling through them just to find ideas to steal from.  Story ideas are, pardon my candor, cheaper than a dime a dozen on the internet.

If it's actual whole essays, fanfics, etc. that you've written, and you know where you posted them, I guess we could help save the text and copy it for you.

(Also the troll post modding feature is kinda stupid, honestly.)
  • Can anyone at least do an appeal for me?

Technically, a couple of people in here still have TVT accounts, in practice I'd ask first if there's anyone whom the mods will regard as worthy of being listened to. Meaning, I can forward your plea if there's no other option, 'cause I very much doubt I can convince anyone.

If I'm not mistaken, back in the day people also used to set up an account from another IP, then send a plea this way.

• >Technically, a couple of people in here still have TVT accounts

Do we? Aren't they deleted after X time of inactivity?
  • a little muffled
    I still seem to have mine, though I'm not sure how long it's actually been since I logged in.
  • AFAIK they aren't deleted for inactivity.

I still have mine, and still post with it, but I doubt there's anything I or anybody here can do to help you besides forwarding your plea.
  • edited 2015-08-29 04:50:04
    I still have mine, though last time I interacted with an admin I apparently butted heads with Fighteer and Fast Eddie over the P5 stuff and almost got myself banned.

Fast Eddie is gone, and P5 is ancient history by internet standards, however.

As for old accounts, I heard that MellonCollie's account was somehow taken over by someone else after a period of inactivity, but that's just hearsay on my part.

Technically, a couple of people in here still have TVT accounts, in practice I'd ask first if there's anyone whom the mods will regard as worthy of being listened to. Meaning, I can forward your plea if there's no other option, 'cause I very much doubt I can convince anyone.

If I'm not mistaken, back in the day people also used to set up an account from another IP, then send a plea this way.

I tried that, didn't work
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    What do you need to recover from your account?  Your best bet at this point is to just salvage whatever is valuable to you, and move on from it.  If it's looking up and copying and pasting stuff I can certainly help with that.
  • edited 2015-08-29 23:49:43
    What do you need to recover from your account?  Your best bet at this point is to just salvage whatever is valuable to you, and move on from it.  If it's looking up and copying and pasting stuff I can certainly help with that.

Well, I'm not banned from the site, my account is just banned from editing and the forums. Honestly, I feel like I got banned for no reason, I read reasons for a permanent ban and didn't fall under any of the reasons that permit a permanent ban. I didn't vandalize anything, didn't make evasion accounts, only got one suspension prior, and didn't attack or defame the site or other tropers, why such a drastic move, and why cover up my posts to make it look like I was trolling even though I wasn't?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-08-30 02:27:14
    If the mod that banned you is the one I think, he's...a bit of a hair trigger and you may not actually have committed a bannable offense, nor would you be the first such person he's banned and trollcrushed.  He's threatened to ban me before for arguing in bad faith on the politics thread, even though I was providing a rather large body of evidence.

To put this as diplomatically as possible, he's not likely to back down.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Yeah...I think the reason I haven't yet gotten myself banned from TVT is because I basically stopped showing up anywhere except the threads that are on my watchlist.

Still slightly amazed that I never got banned for "trolling" or anything else as a result of my famed "gigantposts" -- i.e. posts where I'd reply to quote after quote individually, sometimes totalling 10 or 20 quotes spanning multiple pages worth of forum posts.  Fast Eddie once characterized such posts as "trolling" but I guess I got lucky (or maybe I was conciliatory or civil enough?) to have avoided mod action for that style of posting.
  • Bee wrote: »
    If the mod that banned you is the one I think, he's...a bit of a hair trigger and you may not actually have committed a bannable offense, nor would you be the first such person he's banned and trollcrushed.  He's threatened to ban me before for arguing in bad faith on the politics thread, even though I was providing a rather large body of evidence.

To put this as diplomatically as possible, he's not likely to back down.

It was Fighteer, he just permabanned me, no discussions, no negotiations, didn't even tell me why, decided to hide my posts. The way he "announced" my permanent ban to everyone made everyone else think that I had killed myself.