If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

What's the proper way to mutate "weeaboo"?

edited 2015-08-13 08:00:30 in General
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
So far I've used "Speeaboo" and Noimporta's used "Ameriboo" recently and I'm sure there are other similar constructions out there, but they don't exactly use the true root of the word.

As you may know, the word is originally "wapanese", meaning a white person (w-) who is overly obsebssed with Japan (-apanese). This got mutated already into "weeaboo" when someone picked it out as a word filter for "wapanese", and it superficially retains the "w-", which should actually represent the cultural/ethnic/racial group of the person doing the obsessive fanning, while losing the rest.

Though in practice, it's certainly used to refer to more than just white people, but it retains the meaning of obsession with Japan.

What part of the word should be taken to represent that, and thus changed to refer to obsessions with other countries/cultures? I mean, I can't think of any quintessentially Japanese thing that can be associated with "w" (or "wee"), except maybe something meaning "double".

Comments

• >As you may know, the word is originally "wapanese", meaning a white person (w-) who is overly obsebssed with Japan (-apanese).

I thought this was the case too, but others sources claim the "w" stands for "wannabe", which sounds equally plausible.

The general heuristic is "whatever sounds better", you'll notice that we both retained different amounts of the original word for our variations. The limiting factor of W- is that it only works with words with a second letter vowel ("Wigger" and "Wapanese"), making variations of "weeaboo" is more flexible in that way.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
  • edited 2015-08-17 20:19:49
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Well it seems that "spaniboo" (49700 search results) is more common than "speeaboo" (4 search results, at least two of which seem unrelated, and of the others, one of which is this thread).

"Spaniboo" also has a search result that suggests "germaboo" and "britboo".

However, the larger number of search results is partly due to a person using "Spaniboo" as a username.

Also, amusingly, one of the search results discusses whether pronouncing Japanese loanwords and borrowings correctly makes one a weeaboo, and compares it to asking whether saying "fah-hee-tah" instead of "fuh-jee-tah" makes one a "spaniboo".
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    Wouldn't that be Hispanoboo or something like that?