If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Are we hard on Book Dumb characters?

GAPGAP
edited 2015-04-02 20:32:00 in General
I know the point of the everyman archetype that the character is supposed to be relatable characters but it seems that most intellectuals seem to hate this archetype. I am not an intellectual or I don't consider my self to be one but are we hard on people who could at least learn a new skill from at least reading a book. Do we hate Book Dumb characters or people period?

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Dunno who "we" is, but I don't hate people who aren't learned.
  • Life is more than TV Tropes. Stop seeing the world in terms of trope page stereotypes. Your post is incomprehensible.
  • All the world's a setting, and all the men and women are merely archetypes. They have their narm and their crowning moments, and one man in his time plays many tropes.
  • Do you plan on replying after getting your answer this time around instead of disappearing again?
  • Do you plan on replying after getting your answer this time around instead of disappearing again?

Why yes I do.....

Life is more than TV Tropes. Stop seeing the world in terms of trope page stereotypes. Your post is incomprehensible.

I was talking about characters who are very intelligent but they didn't really like or enjoy schooling.
  • I'm considered smarter than average and I've never been very into academia...
  • Are you sure? I awlays thought it was the other way.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    You know, it just dawned on me there's a particularly annoying subspecies of the category "characters who are very intelligent but they didn't really like or enjoy schooling", the characters who are written this way because the authors have some sort of beef with educational facilities and often consider themselves some kind of superior to others as a bonus.
  • lrdgck wrote: »
    You know, it just dawned on me there's a particularly annoying subspecies of the category "characters who are very intelligent but they didn't really like or enjoy schooling", the characters who are written this way because the authors have some sort of beef with educational facilities and often consider themselves some kind of superior to others as a bonus.

I can see that subtext as some people did have some problems with school or particularly with how the classes are taught. Not everyone's experience is the same but I can see the general trend of people hating schooling.