If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Does anyone still give a crap about Looney Tunes?

edited 2014-12-13 15:24:00 in General
Per title.

I was obsessed with Looney Tunes from 2011 - 2012, but after I saw The Looney Tunes Show I realized that the films are old-school and no one gives a crap about them anymore.

Comments

• Well, someone here admitted to being a Hannah-Barbera fan, so a lot of things are possible.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I loved those films as a child, don't you dare invalidate my childhood memories! You mean person you!

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

What do you mean by "giving a crap about". I enjoyed those cartoons quite much, and I'm using past tense only because I haven't seen them in a long time. Or do you mean something else than the shorts?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I never watched much Looney Tunes, but I definitely remember the NES game Looney Tunes: Adventures in Wackyland 2.

• Naas_Human wrote:

Well, someone here admitted to being a Hannah-Barbera fan, so a lot of things are possible.

>Hannah-Barbera

Only one "H", thank you!

And honestly, their poor reputation isn't wholly deserved. They produced a lot of mediocre-to-bad cartoons, yeah, but some of their cartoons/characters, especially from early on, are pretty fun...Huckleberry Hound, Mr. Jinks, Quick Draw McGraw, Snagglepuss...

rarityfan wrote:
    Per title. I was obsessed with Looney Tunes from 2011 - 2012, but after I saw The Looney Tunes Show I realized that the films are old-school and no one gives a crap about them anymore.

I give a crap about them, and I'm 20.

• BeeBee
    edited 2014-12-13 18:02:08

I used to, but after a while my taste in comedy changed to the point that I don't find slapstick for the sake of slapstick very amusing anymore.  That, and I realized what a complete raging asshole Bugs was, Wile E. Coyote might've had a starving Mrs. Coyote and pups at home, and Elmer Fudd had been getting shot in the face with a shotgun on a daily basis.

And of course, I think most of the hangers-on lost all interest in the franchise the moment this happened:

I still enjoyed the Tiny Toons games though.  I miss when licensed games were usually still fun.

• I don't care for much LT past the original shorts. WB seems to see their franchise characters as whores to be pimped out, for one thing.

I do seem to enjoy older American animation (concentrated around from the '40s through the '60s) more than most people here do...
  • edited 2014-12-13 18:12:19
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Oh yeah, I'm an idiot.  I meant Tiny Toons Adventures 2: Trouble in Wackyland.

^^ To be fair, apparently Konami handled them.  and Capcom handled DuckTales.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I liked Loonatics Unleashed for what it was, a superhero show. As a Looney Tunes property, Duck Dodgers was better in almost all aspects. And I still enjoy watching Wily E. Coyote try and catch the road runner, precisely because I root for him. And I root for Daffy compared to Bugs to...Hmmmm

• Duck Dodgers is probably one of the only good, much less decent, things WB's done with the franchise in the last two decades.

• Bee wrote:

I used to, but after a while my taste in comedy changed to the point that I don't find slapstick for the sake of slapstick very amusing anymore.  That, and I realized what a complete raging asshole Bugs was, Wile E. Coyote might've had a starving Mrs. Coyote and pups at home, and Elmer Fudd had been getting shot in the face with a shotgun on a daily basis.

And of course, I think most of the hangers-on lost all interest in the franchise the moment this happened:

I still enjoyed the Tiny Toons games though.  I miss when licensed games were usually still fun.

I hate Bugs.

• Anonus wrote:

Naas_Human wrote:

Well, someone here admitted to being a Hannah-Barbera fan, so a lot of things are possible.

>Hannah-Barbera

Only one "H", thank you!

And honestly, their poor reputation isn't wholly deserved. They produced a lot of mediocre-to-bad cartoons, yeah, but some of their cartoons/characters, especially from early on, are pretty fun...Huckleberry Hound, Mr. Jinks, Quick Draw McGraw, Snagglepuss...

rarityfan wrote:
    Per title. I was obsessed with Looney Tunes from 2011 - 2012, but after I saw The Looney Tunes Show I realized that the films are old-school and no one gives a crap about them anymore.

I love Hanna-Barbera. Tom & Jerry >>>>>> Looney Tunes.
  • I like Bugs. Seems like a lot of people think he's just a jerk...I think there's got more to him than that.

• rarityfan wrote:
    Anonus wrote:

Naas_Human wrote:

>Hannah-Barbera

Only one "H", thank you!

rarityfan wrote:

That was MGM, but it was created by Hanna and Barbera and H-B was basically the successor to MGM Cartoons anyway...

• Bee wrote:

I never found L.T. funny; I just watched it because the furry in me appreciates Penelope.

• Anonus wrote:

rarityfan wrote:
    Anonus wrote:

Naas_Human wrote:

>Hannah-Barbera

Only one "H", thank you!

rarityfan wrote:

That was MGM, but it was created by Hanna and Barbera and H-B was basically the successor to MGM Cartoons anyway...

I was referring to Bill and Joe's partnership; they directed the films, M.G.M. just distributed them.

• edited 2014-12-14 06:37:48
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

So Tom and Jerry are by Hanna&Barbera? I used to tape them. Since they didn't talk (usually), they had some good examples of what TVT called "Mickey Mousing", I don't know if it has a non-TVT name. I remember an episode in which Tom tried to maintain balance on slippery ice. Scene was put to a percussion solo. (edit 'cause typo.)

• edited 2014-12-14 07:54:30

Yes, Mickey Mousing is a non-TVT name.

I hated Tom & Jerry, the slapstick didn't stick with me and I didn't like that I was supposed to root for Jerry even though he acted like a jerk whenever he could get away with it. I kind of like it whenever Tom ends up getting the last laugh or whenever they end up in good terms, though. Either way I always preferred Looney Tunes. I was a Scooby Doo fanboy, tho.

I've kind of grown to appreciate the technical/crafty aspects of their animations (and Disney's), tho. Doing so much with so little.

• Yeah fuck Jerry.  He was almost as much of a dick as Bugs.

• lrdgck wrote:

So Tom and Jerry are by Hanna&Barbera? I used to tape them. Since they didn't talk (usually), they had some good examples of what TVT called "Mickey Mousing", I don't know if it has a non-TVT name. I remember an episode in which Tom tried to maintain balance on slippery ice. Scene was put to a percussion solo. (edit 'cause typo.)

The frustrating thing about WB's Tom and Jerry efforts is that they can never seem to get the music right. WB milks the property so much that the udders are chapped, and their efforts always - except for Tom and Jerry Tales, and even there they couldn't get the music right - have this bargain-basement, unnecessary feeling to them.

I admit Scooby never appealed to me (and there was an embarrassing period in which I tried to denigrate it much more than it deserved, partially out of resentment that it's the only H-B property WB bothers with these days and partially because I felt the more knowledgeable H-B fans did not like it) a whole lot, but it did seem to come along at a time when Hanna-Barbera was stumped for unique ideas, and Scooby was a unique idea...

• i remember two years ago when i got tom and jerry: the movie for my birthday. that was probably the worst movie i've ever seen in my life.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

By the way, it's not like Tom wasn't quite mean on his own.

• Tom was kind of a jerk.

But Jerry was this.

• isn't that from Tom and Jerry Tales or something

• edited 2014-12-29 18:46:58
    i used to be an admin on a looney tunes wikia. then i got banned globally and some tyrant took over and kicked me out. i had 5,000 edits there so im still not over it. but eh wikia is wikia.
  • and welcome to the jam