If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Job applications bug me: "Reason for leaving"

edited 2014-10-29 06:41:16 in Webspace
My arms are falling off!

In my ever-hopeless quest to find work, I have all of one job to my name, and it was a position that was seasonal-ish (basically, it was a position that ran for one semester).

I've noticed that I have never seen a single online job application interface that lists "Position was seasonal or temporary" as a valid reason for leaving a job. Let's see the issues of the available options in the above example:

• Current employer - Obviously, it isn't.

• Better opportunity - Implies I found work someplace else after this position, which I didn't.

• Terminated - Read: Fired. Which I wasn't.

• Promoted - To what? This is my only formal work history.

• Resigned - In other words, I quit of my own volition, which I didn't. I couldn't continue this job if I wanted to, because it was a semester position.

• Laid off - Pretty sure wrapping up a temp or seasonal position doesn't count as a layoff.

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Looks like two last options are what you should have aimed at.

Or pick "terminated" and try an Arnie impression in the explanation box.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Maybe try "resigned"?

But yeah, this drop-down list is really bull for any seasonal or contract work.

• edited 2014-10-29 18:09:56

What's the difference between terminated and laid off, in this context?

• Being fired for reasons other than general downsizing, I suppose. 

• Yeah, all the good places I've applied to have that as a text field instead of a single select.

• My arms are falling off!

So some of these job app interfaces have a field for "[Job] Description", so I clarify that the option to state "temp/seasonal position" wasn't available. If the employer finds a problem with it, or chooses not to hire me based on this clarifying footnote, that's their own fault.