If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Chinese cartoons"

edited 2014-09-19 09:19:37 in Media
Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Yes, I know people who call Japanese cartoons (a.k.a. "anime") "Chinese cartoons" are doing it in jest.

It's still kind of offensive, though.  Especially if:

* you're Chinese yourself.

* you have some knowledge of China-Japan geopolitical relations and history.

* you don't even feel that "exoticness" that some people associate with anime (and you don't even feel you like Japanese culture all that much).

Comments

• edited 2015-10-09 07:13:12

[user deleted]

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Kraken wrote:

One of these days the Chinese animation industry will be large enough that you actually can't say "Chinese cartoons" without people making you clarify what you mean.

That day will be a good day.

• Wasn't it a reference to the Chinese constantly copying Japanese series? 

Example: http://kotaku.com/5358634/china-rips-off-pokemon-naruto-and-digimon

• edited 2015-10-09 07:12:52

[user deleted]

• edited 2014-09-19 11:12:28
    "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

^^ Nah, this was just a way to piss off anime fans.

• ^^Yes, but you guys would be stealing all the bits they stole from us(Disney as sole inspiration for manga, parallels between the state of Europe at the time of the Iwakura Mission and the setting for every space opera anime ever).

• BeeBee
    edited 2014-09-20 16:35:47

Yeah when people say Chinese cartoons, I don't think rednecks improperly categorizing anime because they can't tell Asian people apart, I think of half-assed ripoffs and/or hilarious bootlegs.