If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Hardware annoyances thread

edited 2014-03-23 13:34:47 in Tech

Since the other thread seems to be primarily about software.

Anyway: Who decided having speakers on the bottom of a laptop was a good idea? I've seen quite a few models like that lately (including my own) and it just perplexes me. Everything is just muffled by the table...

Comments

• edited 2014-04-17 06:20:27
    My arms are falling off!

PSP-1000 does that, though thankfully the -2000 puts them on the front. I'd have a -2000 if DJMAX games didn't lock save files to the device they were created on. Then again, I've stopped playing DJMAX games and I'm not above hacks to alter my savefiles anymore since I don't have to worry about updates forcing me to decide between new games and un-CFW'ing my PSP anymore.

• edited 2014-04-17 11:05:34
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Presumably having speakers on the table might amplify the sound a bit since it could use the table as a soundboard.  Doesn't work with clothing or skin-and-flesh though.

• My arms are falling off!

Laptop's GPU overheated on me...while I was watching terrible over-the-top NSFW bondage stuff. That'll teach me to watch that sort of thing again I suppose.

• Just a quick check, have you tried cleaning the fan with compressed air recently? 

Also fuck my shitty luck with earbuds. I seem to have to buy a new pair way too quickly.

Fan isn't the issue; GPU is burnt. Heat sink may be the issue. My friend and I looked at the insides a few weeks ago. 

• That does sound like either a heat sink or thermal paste issue. How old is the laptop. 

3 years. We replaced the thermal paste, but problems still happen if I run anything intensive (e.g. several tabs with Flash, FTL). Though, when we were testing it, Hellsinker went off without a hitch.

• Odd, the temps shown with hellsinker running are not too high based on my experience. Which GPU do you have.

• The USB port on the Nexus 7 is upside-down. That is, for most USB cables, you have to plug them in with the little USB icon facing down.

It doesn't really annoy me so much as it just perplexes me. Because it means that, at some point during this thing's design, some engineer said "You know how the USB port is on most devices? Yeah, let's flip ours the other way, because reasons."

And they're obviously aware of it, because the included USB cable has the icon printed on the "wrong" side...

• edited 2014-05-17 22:34:05

What would cause a main computer temperature reading (whatever that might be) to be significantly warmer than the cores?  For example, it might be 50 °C while the cores are 35 °C, 77 °C while the cores are 55 °C, and 100 °C while the cores are 80 °C.  Basically, it's always noticeably hotter, no matter what the temperature.

• It might be the sensor for the main computer temp is malfunctioning or takes into account the GPU temp and anything else that generates heat. 

• edited 2014-05-21 21:44:23
    My arms are falling off!

Remind me to never, ever let my dad handle my electronics, especially in the Philippines where both 110V outlets and 220V outlets are the norm.

So I had an electric shaver with a charger, and it only accepted 110V outlets. The house we were staying at had primarily 220V outlets. So my dad takes an adapter that allows the plugging of 3-prong plugs into 2-prong outlets--and nothing else--and insists that he can use it to plug my shaver into a 220V outlet to charge it.

I told him "Dad, no, that's only a prong adapter, it doesn't change voltage." He insists that yes, it does, and I keep pleading with him.

HE FUCKING DOES IT ANYWAY.

Then when we got back home in the US, I noticed my shaver's charger didn't work. I told Dad about this, told him that this was because of the whole voltage ignorance he had going on, and he refused to believe it was his fault.

So my parents had to buy a new shaver for me.

My dad was born and raised in the Philippines. Moreover, he works in electronics industries. He had no excuse.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Overconfidence does wonders to one's ego.

And disasters to one's pocketbook and quality of life.

Are there any laptops that can be converted into tablet form (i.e. being able to fold back or swivel and fold down or whatever means provided) and have screen size of 15-inch diagonal or larger?

They don't fold flat, only to 300°, unfortunately.  I thought they were really cool until I realized that.

Seems like there have been very few laptops with full-size screens that also can lay flat as tablets.  So far I've found just two: the Acer Aspire R7 and the Sony Vaio Flip 15.

• They don't fold flat, only to 300°, unfortunately.

'scuse you, in this neck of the woods, we call it 5π/3 radians

• edited 2014-06-02 15:27:52

I am deeply sorry and ashamed; I have walked paths of not using trigonometry for so long I forgot to convert to radians.

...that said, as I know it, I could call it 5π/3, as one needs not specify the unit since it is dimensionless.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

gee, what is this 'piehaff'... 

- allegedly, a slow-thinking student.