If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Nightcore

edited 2013-03-23 20:16:53 in Media
Has friends besides tanks now

Here's an example.

Basically just sped-up music with an anime girl picture slapped over it. It bugs me that people can't just call the music what it is and leave weeabooism out of it.

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Question: Is it nightcore if you don't include an anime girl picture?

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I don't think Nightcore is really supposed to be a genre so much as a process. Like chopping-and-screwing, but the total opposite of that in every way.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Ugh, this shit again.

I've only ever stumbled across one Nightcore video that didn't follow that exact formula, and even then it's a rather minor exception...

And a good number of songs actually sound halfway decent when sped up like this.

Though I prefer songs that are natively written to have a fast beat to them, over songs that are forcefully sped up to be like this.

Ever find a song that sounds nice in Nightcore but isn't as good in its original incarnation?  Not that the Nightcore version sounded that great but at least it sounded more interesting for whatever reason?

• Has friends besides tanks now

Haven't found such a thing yet, though that could be because I have no patience for this process in the first place.

• law of silence

I agree that Nightcore shouldn't really be considered a genre. But I also agree with Glenn that certain songs sometimes sound good/better sped up (just as long as the vocals aren't pitched to the point where it sounds like chipmunks singing).

Yeah, but the Nightcore stuff I've found so far has all been of that lazy variety wherein the pitch is also shifted upwards and the vocalist sounds like a chipmunk. If there's one that's not that you can remember, I'd be interested in listening.

• edited 2013-03-24 18:32:44
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Yeah, I'd prefer non-chipmunk singing.  Hence I prefer trance with "native" vocals (i.e. ones originally sung at the pitch I'm listening in), which sound far more natural.

If all nightcore is is speeding up a song (and slapping on an anime girl picture in a Youtube upload), and possibly adding a beat, I'm really not sure how it can be considered a genre.  It's more of a remixing process, albeit a simple one.

I don't think people think of it as an actual genre, if that's really all there is to it. The very process just bugs me, though.

• Nightcore is all shit.  However sometimes the original songs are even worse so there are a number of songs which benefit from getting sped up and adding UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ.

That said, speeding up a song to the point that it goes full chipmunk mode isn't inherently bad and can sound fine.  It's just that nightcore remixes are really lazy and don't really do much else beside that.

• law of silence

I don't think people think of it as an actual genre, if that's really all there is to it.

Some people would disagree with you there but lol YouTube comments

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Hey, I heard a remix of Don't Leave Me This Way (and old R&B/soul hit) on the radio once, which was completely the same except with a relatively subtle UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ added to the background. Compared to that shit, nightcore looks like an effort. Even I, with absolutely no experience in mixing, can do that shit in Audacity in, like, five minutes. Don't ask me how it got on the radio.

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

Might have something to do with where you liv Oh, sorry. Yeah, I won't ask.

• edited 2013-03-24 20:58:22
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Hey, I heard a remix of Don't Leave Me This Way (and old R&B/soul hit) on the radio once, which was completely the same except with a relatively subtle UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ added to the background. Compared to that shit, nightcore looks like an effort. Even I, with absolutely no experience in mixing, can do that shit in Audacity in, like, five minutes. Don't ask me how it got on the radio.

No you can't. Not in the least because lining up a regular beat with an existing song in Audacity is somewhere near impossible.

FL Studio, maybe.

I would also be willing to bet money that the song wasn't actually "exactly the same" aside from the addition of a dancebeat. Remixing is a pretty involved process.

So I've just now noticed that there seems to be a similar trend involving trance music uploads on Youtube; they frequently feature a (meatspace) photo of a woman.

• They're somethin' else.

>Come across a nightcore version of the MD Geist theme
    >it is also lazy and shit and only sped up, nothing more

fucking wow, man.