If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Seven Deadly Sins? More like "Seven excuses to make a case for conspiracy theories"

edited 2012-11-18 11:49:41 in Philosophy

Bothers me how this is treated as immediate dogma. First of, only three or four of them are directly condemned in the source material (and even then, you can argue it was just a condemnation of extremes rather than the concepts themselves), and second, most of these sins are not only as bad as everyone portrays them, but ostensibly vital for human survival. There's a reason why Greed is considered a necessary evil, for example.

As for virtues, its also worth to note that them in extremes can also be fatal (except Temperance, obviously).

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    So...how are they an excuse to make a case for conspiracy theories?
  • Yeah uh, how? I mean, there's always been cases of religious people preaching things that aren't part of the main source material anyway, hasn't there? Doesn't sound like anything too out-of-the-ordinary.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Well, the concept of greed could be thought of as the coveting of more than one's fair share, which (for a proper definition of fair share) would involve basically social costs (to all of society) being higher than private costs (to oneself) of taking more than that fair share.  Basically, if you take too much, then society suffers as a whole even if you're slightly better off yourself.  And that's a bad thing for societal stability.

• Well, if you haven't even realised the implications, it'd be an excellent case to make the population docile by telling that their self-worth is a sin.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Conversely, most first world society is individualist and consumerist, and actively marries individual expression with the acquisition of resources. Think about how technology, moreso than anything else, has become the de-facto status symbol. 

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

^^ Wait, what?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Well, if you haven't even realised the implications

As a general rule, when you're trying to convince someone of your opinion, you're supposed to tell them what your opinion is, rather than telling them something tangentially related and asking them to deduce your opinion.

• Poot dispenser here

Seven Deadly Sins?

No. Seven Asses.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Meanwhile, in 2010.

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

og1NF.jpg

I don't know why I felt compelled to post this, but its what the discussion looks like.

• All seven are sins only at the wrong time, in excess.

An absolute lack of pride is self-loathing or never being content with what you have done.

An absolute lack of lust means no sex drive at all.

An absolute lack of sloth means you will work yourself to death.

An absolute lack of wrath means you cannot be indignant when you see injustice.

An absolute lack of envy is to never want better in your existence.

An absolute lack of greed is the lack of desire, ambition, and the will to live.
  • I'm a damn twisted person

An absolute lack of lust means no sex drive at all.

Well lust doesn't necessarily mean sexuality. It can simply refer to things you seek out to indulge in a passionate manner. So a lack of lust is a lack of passion and engagement.

• That's covered by by greed already.

In most contexts, lust refers to sex.
  • I'm a damn twisted person

Nah Greed is about wanting things. Lust is about experiencing things. 

• edited 2012-11-18 22:14:59
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

I think lust covers indulgence of the id, whereas greed covers indulgence of the intellect. You lust for experiences, but are greedy for resources. That kind of thing. 

ninjalk'd

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-11-18 22:15:51

An absolute lack of envy is to never want better in your existence.

No, just absent of the desire to do so at the cost of others'.  It's quite possible to want to do better for yourself without wanting to take someone else's stuff.

• There's a difference between "I want what they have - I am going to take it from them" and "I want what they have - I'm going to make or buy my own".

People can look enviously on things they want and not act on the urge to steal it.
  • The way I see it, the terms themselves have the "excess" part already incorporated. For example, desire --> lust/greed, anger --> wrath, etc.

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

Do we need to have a discussion about something so obvious? No offense to anyone.

• Well to be fair, all "sins" ultimately revolve around "I want".

• Without pride and the choices it presents, there can be no faith: no assertion that one's relationship with God, against all reason, is imperative and real. Without envy, there is no hope, no comparison, no competition, no dissatisfaction, no reason to try, to succeed. Without gluttony, in a world where greed is eliminated, there is no way to choose charity. Without lust, we all die, and without acknowledgement of lust's universality, there is no fortitude. Without anger, without the holy anger of the proletariat, of the people against the unlawful, there can be no justice. Without greed or sloth, there is no moderation, no temperance or prudence -- we are unable to look at ourselves critically and see long-term v. short-term effects. We stop growing them when the state mandates these lacks, takes away these choices: we all go to sleep. And we don't wake up.

• What's that from, Bastion?

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Hell, I'm fan of all seven.